The Register & Future ISU Coverage - A Change Brewing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 349

Question The Register & Future ISU Coverage - A Change Brewing?

The Register & Future ISU Coverage - A Change Brewing?
    A Potentially Hypothetical Question

I was thinking tonight watching the presser, does anybody else think the tides are going to quickly turn in the media coverage we get? Hear me out...

JP is very much a man of principal. He knows who's on ISU's side and who isn't. He knows that John Walters is a Clone and that the Register's reporters are considered by many to be very one-sided. So to me this spells out two scenarios.

1. The DM Register continues to be very slanted and pro Hawkeye while always belittling the Clones and the fans. ISU further removes themselves from the Register and they continue to lose Cyclone subscribers. The Register gets even fewer actual news stories and becomes even more irrelevant to many. John Walters and other fair or pro-Clone reporters get all the scoops and advantages.

2. Peterson, Keeler, etc suddenly think Chizik and JP are geniuses and that ISU is the next powerhouse. They hype us up and become more ISU slanted to help subscriptions and to retain their core readers. ISU is now the big program in the state and can't do wrong.

So which is it? Do you see the Register jumping on the bandwagon now or staying on their path to irrelevance among Cyclone faithful? I personally think they'll suddenly be the biggest ISU fans to try and stay "in the know" and to not be left to become even more irrelevant.

Share your opinions but keep it civil and without name-calling or things of that nature. I know this isn't always the best topic so I thought of bringing it up in a somewhat delicate nature.

Last edited by Jeremy; 11-27-2006 at 10:42 PM.
    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

Re: The Register & Future ISU Coverage - A Change Brewing?

Des Moines register is big enough to cover two teams fairly.Who runs their group - the EIU booster club?

The Register in the eighties was a well respected independent thinking paper. Guess times change. From Register to Rags in two decades. Thieir onm line stories are more fair than their paper edition. Hmmmm.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-27-2006 at 10:37 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 99

Money talks....it'll be #2. I almost cancelled after a rehash of the ISU grad rate from 1996 was put on the front page over two squawkeye's getting sticky fingers in Younkers.

Fanatic #25

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

History will continue and until they replace their Hawkeye reporters, the Rag will be slanted to the east, not to the north.

Dang, that was a pretty clever way to state it...

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 130
    Given: 133

I'm guessing that their noses get further up the back side of Ferentz, Alford and Barta...

Rookie
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

This is an interesting take. I can see it. Pollard figures the only news about ISU they publish is negative. He leaves them in the dark for a while until they see the error of their ways. Shows them who's really in charge.

Walk On
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    I'm guessing that their noses get further up the back side of Ferentz, Alford and Barta...
    In todays media world the print media is becoming less and less of a factor. One reason the Cubs might be up for sale in the next couple of years.

This morning on Cotler, they were making fun of website bloggers and the Ditka rumor. But I think they were missing the influence of web media, the Rag did in fact contact Ditka to dispell the rumors.

Hopefully they will attempt your number 2, but JP will continue to give them the cold shoulder.

When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cymon View Post
    This is an interesting take. I can see it. Pollard figures the only news about ISU they publish is negative. He leaves them in the dark for a while until they see the error of their ways. Shows them who's really in charge.
    Register Headline: "Kelley Hired. JP MIA."

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VII_Fe View Post
    In todays media world the print media is becoming less and less of a factor. One reason the Cubs might be up for sale in the next couple of years.

This morning on Cotler, they were making fun of website bloggers and the Ditka rumor. But I think they were missing the influence of web media, the Rag did in fact contact Ditka to dispell the rumors.

Hopefully they will attempt your number 2, but JP will continue to give them the cold shoulder.
    And I was fooled by that blog. I thought if we were talking to Harbaugh, Ditka woukld be next. We were hitting up all the tight end people we could find to help Barkema.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 353
    Given: 146

One of the reasons I can't freaking stand the Hawkeyes is the slanted media coverage in this state. We have two major-conference NCAA D-I athletic programs in the state and coverage should be EQUAL. Instead, Iowa State often seems to be treated on-par with a mid-major school that just can't ever hope to compete with the Big 10 powerhouse in Iowa City.

I've always said this: How many Cyclone fans in Iowa do you know that didn't attend school there or have had kids in school there? Personally, I know ZERO. My opinion is that there are more Hawkeye fans in the state because all those with no ties to either school follow Iowa because it's the easy road...you can actually see Iowa games on TV (OK, that's more of a conference TV package thing...that needs work, too!) and you read and hear about the beloved Hawkeyes every time you turn around.

When we beat them in football or basketball, the media and Iowa fan take always seems to be that Cylcone fans are SO excited because we pulled off the upset of the century. Wrong. We're excited because we just want to shut off the Hawkeye hype faucet any way possible and see cardinal and gold on the front page for a change!

I think 10 years of totally equal coverage and respect in the media would do a heck of a lot for our program...probably more than any coach or AD can do for us. Bigger fan base...more money...more recruiting power...

I HOPE IT CHANGES. I think Pollard understands this, too, and is working on it already.

Last edited by Prone2Clone; 11-27-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 134

Until Randy Peterson stops asking stupid questions like he has for the past 2 press conferences now, he'll be second fiddle to the likes of John Walters. Until he starts showing some respect to Jamie Pollard, I doubt that Pollard will be all that interested in helping him get the scoops that he wants so badly.

Also, calling off the Witosky dogs every so often would help their Cyclone reader base. Seems like whenver something bad happens with the EIU, their reaction is "oh, well, that school is 3 hours away, no one here would care about it" but if its something good, they'll make a full page photo and article about it. Meantime, bad things happen at ISU, and its a full page photo and article.

Consistency in reporting is all we ask. Then again, how can we expect it from an entity that consistently "endorses" Democratic politicians.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The Register is a shell of it's former self. Save your money like me and just read it online.

I think that if ISU can deliver a product, the Register along with the masses of football fans will follow where the activity is. I've got a good feeling that it will be the Cyclones over the next 10 years.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,378
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

"In todays media world the print media is becoming less and less of a factor. One reason the Cubs might be up for sale in the next couple of years."

It's also a reason why there are Hawkeye and Cyclone web sections at the DMR, and other newspaper sites, and why they are asking their writers to post blogs, etc.

We have changed the landscape.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Randy Peterson & the Rag are probably a little ticked for being left out of the loop by JP. He let John Walters have the scoop and the Rag knows it. Will be very interesting to see how this shakes out over the next few months...

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think JP is going to arrange a meeting with the Rag and explain to them how it will be. We will know nothing about it until it happens, and the Rag will write a very flattering piece about ISU for a change.