Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Bates impact on loss

Before anyone accuses me of making excuses, this is strictly my observations of the potential impact on the Bates situation on the Baylor game.
    First, Iowa State has to be totally focused to win ANY of its games. Our talent level is not that high that we can be off our game, and win. It appeared to me that our psyche was bad from the start.
    1. Coaches were forced to change game plans. We did not see AA run up the middle once. He appeared to be nervous and off his game. I'm sure he was told to protect himself, and that changed the way he played.
    2. Players were in the middle of this. Bates friends had to be upset he left. Add to that all the press questions, write ups in the papers, and Bates father making a rear end of himself, and again, more distraction
    So you had a change in
    -the way the coaches called plays
    -the way AA played
    -emotions from players
    All that adds up to a loss of focus, and that's what I saw from the start to the end. Will it change? That's why GC gets the big bucks. It's up to him to turn it around before the next game. I'd personally burn Tillers redshirt and tell AA to go for it and not be afraid to get hurt. And invite Bates to move to another apartment.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Bates impact on loss

What was his impact?

I say zero.

We didn't get killed because Bates was or wasn't there. Because he left abruptly or was a distraction.

We got killed because we make far too many mistakes and just aren't a good football team. And Philip Bates being on the plane, on the sidelines or in the game doesn't change that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,338
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

It sure seemed like the whole situation may have played a part in our not looking so hot last night. Probably not the whole reason, but it seemed to have made a difference.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 530
    Given: 125

I think ISU was very conservative with AA, probably the most conservative I have seen yet. I would chalk that up to the fact that Bates is no longer here, maybe I am wrong.

There is no way you can say this did not have at least a small impact on the team, but would he have given us a difference of 4 touchdowns if he had not left?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 74

The only thing that should have been a difference is AA being the man now and not having a safety net. Sure it may affect him protecting himself more but it should be no excuse in the way this team lost the way they did.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 31

im going to have to disagree daddymac... despite what his impact was before he quit, him quitting was definately in the heads of some if not all of the players and staff. yes we got beat because we made mistakes, thanks for pointing out the obvious. but to say the mistakes would have still happened to the extent that they did in my opinion is ignorant.

Husker Hater

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dinger View Post
    im going to have to disagree daddymac... despite what his impact was before he quit, him quitting was definately in the heads of some if not all of the players and staff. yes we got beat because we made mistakes, thanks for pointing out the obvious. but to say the mistakes would have still happened to the extent that they did in my opinion is ignorant.
    Well, then we need some new players and coaches.

If a kid who didn't see the field the week before against a top 25 team is going to sway the play of another 104 players, then all is lost.

Sorry, I'm not going to go hawkeye-fan and desperately dig up excuses as to why we got our ***** handed to us, aside from "the obvious"

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Bates never had a great game or a major impact. Bates just had ok. games compared to AA. Bates is not a good QB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,338
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Well, then we need some new players and coaches.

If a kid who didn't see the field the week before against a top 25 team is going to sway the play of another 104 players, then all is lost.

Sorry, I'm not going to go hawkeye-fan and desperately dig up excuses as to why we got our ***** handed to us, aside from "the obvious"
    Do you think there might be a reason why 'Sports Psychologists' have a job? Perhaps there are more things that go into playing sports than just athletic ability. Some athletes have feelings, emotions, lives outside of sports; you know, some athletes are people, too. You can't expect 18-23 year olds to be machines all the time.

I'm not going to make excuses as to why we lost, because we did - and that can't change.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

you bring up a good point, but i guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. things affect the players. this was a major distraction 1 day before they got on a plane to texas. a lot of great players who are a perfectly good fit into this team and staff are going to be a bit out of focus.

that being said, i agree that mistakes would have been made by the exact same players that saw the field. but i would like to think not as many, not as severe or simply just not enough to cause an L.

Husker Hater

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsfan27 View Post
    Bates never had a great game or a major impact. Bates just had ok. games compared to AA. Bates is not a good QB.
    no one arguing this point is saying the absense of phillip from the field is a cause. we are talking that the previous days happenings had an impact on how the remaining players played. i had hoped it would be a positive one, but it didnt appear that way.

Husker Hater

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

The guys and gals who post that Bates influence was ZERO...were right on!!

IMO...the coaches do a lousy job of getting this team ready to play on the road...their record is a dreadful zero for eight!!

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Look boys - I'm not saying that the players don't have feelings and aren't impacted by issues outside football.

But the question is "what impact did he have". Once that opening kick was in the air, I seriously doubt the name Philip Bates crossed anyone's mind. If there was an impact - it was on the coaches and gameplan. But I'm also guessing that the coaches are more than capable of handling it - and the fact he took zero snaps the weekend before makes me think it wasn't much of a change. I'm also guessing the fact that he left on Thursday as opposed to last Sunday, says he wasn't going to be much of a factor this week anyway - despite what the coaches said about splitting time.

And if you're trying to suggest that the game ends up anything other than 38-10, then I heartily disagree.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    What was his impact?

I say zero.

We didn't get killed because Bates was or wasn't there. Because he left abruptly or was a distraction.

We got killed because we make far too many mistakes and just aren't a good football team. And Philip Bates being on the plane, on the sidelines or in the game doesn't change that.
    Simply spot on. Those disagreeing with your point are ignoring the fact that this team has been in a 4 week funk. The exceptions are a half where UNLV went into a shell trying to protect a lead and a half where Kansas shot themselves in the foot with turnovers.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

None. Zero. Nada.

Bates does not play defense and his absence had nothing to do our poor tackling.

Bates does not play on the kickoff team and his absence had nothing to do with allowing a return for touchdown.

Bates does not play offensive line and his absence had nothing to do with what seemed like dozens of false starts.

Bates does not coach and his absence had nothing to do with our inability to call plays without getting delay of game penalties.

The fact is that Bates did not play at all against Kansas and he took a total of 3 snaps against UNLV.

It's pretty absurd to say we lost a critical player. Critical players are on the field for more than 3 plays in 2 games.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.