Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Thumbs up GREAT story about Chizik and the team

Since you have to login (it's a free site) to read this I'm going to post an entry from a webpage of a friend of the family that had a very memorable moment with the football team last weekend. A little bit of background, Eli's parents both attended ISU. Eli was diagnosed with stage IV Neuroblastoma in June 2007 at age 3 1/2. He had a massive tumor growing in his body that went from his pelvis up through his abdomen and up into his chest. If you want to find out more his care website is Sign In You just have to have a valid email address to sign up and it takes less than a minute to do. There are all kinds of photos and stuff. I just found out about this a few days ago and after reading all this kid has gone through and the great thing our coach and FB team did it really makes me proud of the program and the people running it as well as the class our players showed. I'm sure this is not the first nor last time the team will go out of it's way but I felt this particular story was too good to keep to myself.

As you can imagine, we had a weekend we'll NEVER forget. As you know, Eli was invited by Gene and Jonna Chizik to come to the Kansas game this weekend, but it was much more than that. They invited Eli to be an honorary Cyclone Football Player. We went to practice on Friday night and Eli was immediately able to let his guard down because the Chizik kids came and he was able to play with them. He especially loved playing with their son because he was gracious enough to let Eli win at everything they played. :-) Before practice really got started, the team saw Eli had brought a replica helmet to be signed (an amazing gift from our friends John and Kris), so they signed it with silver sharpies. The guys were all smiles and were telling Eli that they had been looking forward to meeting him. Little did we know (but found out later) that they had posted a page of Eli's website for the players to see. They then made a book of all of the players pictures and had all of the players write Eli a note the week before the big Kansas game. The players were probably surprised to see Eli with his red mohawk with gold sparkles because the picture on the website that was printed out shows Eli as a chubby bald kid. Anyway, we hung out and watched the players walk through some things and the boys even played some football in the indoor practice facility.
    At the end of practice, they called Eli over to their team huddle. Jason Scales (Running Back) presented Eli with a football autographed by the entire team! Then Coach Chizik told Eli that they were going to huddle up and break with a special word, and the word that night was going to be "Eli". So the next thing I know, the entire team swarms around Eli, scoops him up, and they shout, "Eli on three. One, two, three, ELI!" I got that part on video and you can see it below. It was amazing. Even more amazing was that immediately following the break, Coach Chizik told the team that if anyone wanted to stay, they were going to say a prayer for Eli. Nobody moved. With the entire team down on one knee, the team chaplain (Kevin) lifted Eli up in prayer. I don't think Lacey or I could have stopped smiling if you asked us to. At the end of the prayer, Kevin announced to the players that Eli had bracelets for anyone that wanted one. I ran to get a bag of the bracelets and when I turned around, there were dozens of ISU football players heading towards me with outstretched hands. I was dishing out bracelets as fast as I could and countering every "thank you" with a "No, thank YOU." There were a handful of bracelets left and R.J. Sumrall (Wide Receiver) asked if he could take them and get them to some players that he knew missed out. A few of the guys stayed back and chatted with us for a bit. Several of them already had on black bracelets they had received from FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), so it was cool seeing Eli's bracelet go on right next to those. Cameron Bell (Linebacker) compared scars with Eli, but quickly realized his little stomach scar was nothing compared to Eli's collection. Honestly, that experience would have been amazing in and of itself and Lacey and I left completely in awe of how great everyone was. We couldn't believe that there was more fun to be had, but of course that was only practice and the game was still to come.
    Jonna had given us a parking pass for Saturday, so we pulled into Jack Trice Stadium at 9am and parked our dirty Ford Focus in the spot marked "Head Football Coach". :-) We waited for the guys to pull up in their buses with Jonna and of course Eli got to pick on his new buddies some more. We had never seen the "Spirit Walk" before, which is when the players walk from their buses to the Jacobson Building through a tunnel of people that are cheering and high fiving them. Euseph Messiah (Wide Receiver) said, "Come with me, Eli" and we followed him from the buses right into the locker room! Of course, Lacey wasn't allowed in, so she stayed outside with Isaiah. Jason Scales saw Eli and said, "Hey man, come this way." He took us over to a locker that said "Eli Horn" at the top, exactly like every other player's locker! It even had a small helmet, a Nike game football, and a small number 4 jersey that said Horn on the back. Eli was grinning ear to ear. We hung out in the locker room the entire time before the game and Eli played catch with Phillip Bates (one of the QBs for the Cyclones). A lot of the players that hadn't picked up Eli bracelets the night before came up to us asking for them in the locker room. #8 Chris Brown (Defensive Back) came over and said, "Hey Eli, check this out." The blackout under his eyes had words written on them in silver. Under his right eye it said "Eli" and under his left eye it said "Horn". Eli's locker was next to Kyle Slifka (Defensive Line) and he was awesome. My favorite quote from Kyle was when two guys walked into the locker room with video cameras. "Seriously, do they need to bring those things in here while we're changing?" :-)
    About 45 minutes before kickoff, we all left the locker room and went down to the field where we got to meet back up with Lacey and Isaiah. We watched them run some drills on the field and that's when I noticed that most of the players had actually put Eli's bracelet on over their wrist wraps and were wearing them out on the field! Sure enough, if you watched the game on TV at all, you could see Eli bracelets all over the field. It was incredible. As we watched the drills, Cy came over to meet Eli and to give him a basket full of gifts. A shirt, a teddy bear, a hat, a blanket, and the book that all the players wrote in that I mentioned earlier. All covered with the new Iowa State logo of course. As I looked over at the student section, I saw the famous painted guys that have a letter on their chest and back so they can spell things like "GO CYCLONES" and "I LOVE CY". I noticed that three of them had the right letters and there was a guy with an exclamation point, so I walked over and asked them to arrange themselves to spell ELI! so I could take a picture. They readily agreed and I got one of my all time favorite pictures, even though Eli was shy and didn't want to be in it. :-)
    We ended up watching the first half of the game from Jamie Pollard's patio, which is basically right behind the North End Zone (the field goal balls come right to you as you're watching the game). We could watch the game on the big screen while we snacked in his conference room, or watch it outside on the patio. It was certainly a view of the game I had never experienced before. After halftime, we went up to watch the second half with Jonna and Denise (the coaches' wives) and their kids in the upper UPPER suites on the West side of the field. Another amazing view and of course Eli got to play with the kids some more, so it was a huge hit.
    Sorry to everyone that asked us about tailgating or catching up at the game, but as you can see, our schedule was quite packed. Mason, it was great to see you at the game, even if we only got to see you for a split second at the Spirit Walk! The Cyclones ended up losing 33 to 35 in an absolutely incredible game that kept us on the edge of our seats until the very end, but to be honest, Eli didn't even notice because he was too busy having fun at the game to, you know, watch the game. :-) We felt SO welcome and the entire team (and athletic staff) was so genuine and kind. Coach Chizik was determined to make sure everything was in order and that we had been taken care of, which of course we had thanks to him, his wife, his staff, and his team.
    Couple of YouTube videos with the photos and the team shouting "Eli!" at the practice huddle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDpTAJbJutU]YouTube - Eli Horn and the ISU Cyclones[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtwuPezHTDY]YouTube - Eli on Three![/ame]

Go Cubs Go!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: GREAT story about Chizik and the team

Nice read. Thanks for posting.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Wow, nice story. I am sure this type of stuff happens at many places but I love that Chizik does these things.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

WOW!...

awesome, awesome stuff.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 61

Truly touching.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

The mom works with my mom. I was going to post this as well, but wanted permission first.

Picasa Web Albums - Aaron - ISU Football ...

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 31

Great story. Wishing young Eli the best.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'll admit it - I got a little teary eyed and choked up.

Great story.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Iowa State Athletic department, and ALL of the ADs go out of their way to make special things happen for people.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

outstanding story...I am sure it meant the world to Eli

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Eli's mother went to the same church as I did growing up, unfortunately I haven't seen them since college but reading this almost sent chills down my spine because it was such a feel good story.

Not to take away from this but another couple from our church are big Hawk fans and their son has leukemia and at one point when I got to visit him and his family in the hospital around Christmas time a couple years ago it didn't look good but now he's living the normal life that a boy should be. His page is here: Sign In Well they had a similar kind of invitation from then coach Steve Alford to come to an Iowa basketball game and the story from that was not nearly as great that came out of this one. No being with the team in the locker room or hanging out with coach and his family and such. They were Alford's guests at a game but I don't think got more than some seats and a signed basketball and I'm not sure they really even got to spend time with Alford if I remember so 2 completely different outcomes which was sad that if you were going to do a great thing for a sick kid that he probably would have been more thrilled with the personal attention than any memorabilia he got.

Go Cubs Go!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 403
    Given: 369

I'm scared to ask...what's Eli's prognosis?

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I'll admit it - I got a little teary eyed and choked up.

Same here.

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I'm scared to ask...what's Eli's prognosis?
    I'm not sure, again I admittedly haven't kept up with this family and just know what I hear from my parents. According to his webpage he's going through 3F8 treatments which sound pretty painful. Kids like this though really bring things into perspective just how fragile life is and I have a lot of admiration for the kids that go through all these painful times with these diseases and come out of it strong, healthy, and lead a normal life afterwards and God willing hopefully Eli gets the same happy ending that other kids of families I know have had.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wow! Thanks for sharing. We all need a story like that to put things in perspective. I am so proud to be a graduate of Iowa State University and a fan of this football team!