Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 50

Current and former marching band members

Please do something!

I received a call from a girl wanting donations for the band. She made some chit chat and gave some stats for the band. She then asked if she could sign me up for a $500 donation. I said I am not in a position to make a donation at this time and I would call ISU when I want to make a donation, she then said $250, $150, $100 and $50. I was so mad when I finally hung up on her.

I have never had a collections call but I sit near the collections department at my job, I feel like I know what the person on the other line feels like. At first she was guilting me and then she was mad! Please stop this as I will never make a donation to the band now. Sorry folks, you gotta treat people better then that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Re: Current and former marching band members

Just my opinion.

These are just students doing the fund raising. Some do not know how to do it well

Do not punish the band, for the actions of the caller. Make a donation when you can. Send it to the director with a note that you are donating even though the call made it so yiu did not want to.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

I was a member of the marching band for 4 years and I never heard of any of the actual band members making these calls. I always thought that it was the same students that call for ISU Foundation.

Walk On
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Most likely the person that called you was not in the band. When I was i the band 03-07 we never had to make calls out to people, I think it was more of the generic call center that makes the calls, which is made up of students.

I got the same call and by the time they get to asking for $50 I was just tired of it and hung up. If I am going to give a donation, most likely I will because I was in the band, it will be when I decide to and not when they call.

In other words don't hate the band for this.

P.S. I received a email from the person that called me thanking me for the talking to them, so you might be looking forward to that.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I was in the band from 03-07 as well. It isn't the band that is calling. Its the ISU Foundation. Don't hate the band, its not us doing it.

Make the world a better place, punch a hawkeye in the face

Colorado coach Gary Barnett "I thought we had a pretty good mascot. But when we showed up at Iowa State and they had a real tornado, that's the real deal." November 12, 2005

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

Quote Originally Posted by CyAggie View Post
    Just my opinion.

These are just students doing the fund raising. Some do not know how to do it well

Do not punish the band, for the actions of the caller. Make a donation when you can. Send it to the director with a note that you are donating even though the call made it so yiu did not want to.
    I would agree with you Aggie except this is standard practice for the band calls. The always start out at a ridiculous number like 500 or 1000 dollars and it's not like they don't have my information right in front of them.

I've gotten calls from the foundation for a number of things including the band. The band calls are always super aggressive and uncomfortable, much moreso than regular fundraising calls. If the band leadership is unaware of this then they need to make themselves aware and deal with it. Frankly I'm with the OP - as long as these calls continue I will never, ever, donate to the band.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 405

Quote Originally Posted by isumellie View Post
    I was a member of the marching band for 4 years and I never heard of any of the actual band members making these calls. I always thought that it was the same students that call for ISU Foundation.

They made it sound to me as if they were in the band. I believe you if you say they aren't. But it is a bit misleading when they make it sound as if they are.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Callers at the foundation are supposed to talk on the phone for at least 5 minutes a call. Sorry that this person was pushy, I think that they were just trying to do their job for the foundation.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    They made it sound to me as if they were in the band. I believe you if you say they aren't. But it is a bit misleading when they make it sound as if they are.
    Now that you know they aren't band members calling, you'll notice the lack of pronouns like "We" and "I". I agree that it's super irritating, but don't think badly of the band members. They don't even know it's happening until they graduate.

What really annoyed me is that they call and ask for money without any clue at all that I used to be in band. They spend the first 15 minutes talking about how much time and effort it requires. I'm well aware. Maybe I should start asking how much the caller donated.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

If this is what is happening (starting out too high, and being too aggressive) two things are going on, or need to be done:

1. Someone needs to send their comments to the band with a polite request they adjust the call *******.

2. If the calls are all starting out at $500, they have a reason for starting it there. Their call tracking and donation results must indicate it works to some extent.

However, even if it does work best to ask for the higher amounts, at the very least it sounds like they need to adjust the call scripte and call tone from that point on.

CyAggie

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

I honestly just hang up on foundation calls now. Their calling system is ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with people if their research shows starting at 500 is a good thing. However they have my information in front of them. I got a call requesting 500 dollars like 2 months after I graduated. Well duh of course I can't give that much. 400? Of course, that's much better. DUH.

I assume they have *******. They need to amend them for new grads and people who aren't likely to be able to drop 500 bucks on a phone call. I just wish they didn't have my cell phone number.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 93

I was in the band for a few years in school and never heard of any member making fund raising calls like this. I would tend to agree with the other posters that it is done by the same group that calls for the ISU Foundataion.

I actually received this exact same call only they were calling for the College of Engineering. They pulled the same ******, starting at $500, then coming down after I said no to like $250, then $100, then $50. They were really trying to lay the guilt trip on that I wasn't going to cough up any cash, but at that point they had ****** me off so much that I wasn't going to send them a dime. If and when I am ready to make a donation I will do it of my own choosing and I will give it to the part of the University of my own choosing.

I was angry about the call, the caller was really making me feel like I was a bad person for not donating "just $50", but at the time I was less than a year out of school (I had been in for 6, 4 undergrad and 2 of grad school) and I had recently moved and was about to get married. I think between the 6 years of tuition and fees, and now the money I am putting into attending athletics events, I am pretty well set for my giving to the University for a few years. I could have certainly afforded a simple $50 donation, but by the point they had ****** me off so much that if had become a matter of principal and not of the actual feasability of the donation.

And I also received the follow up email thanking me for talking to them.

You can ask the music department to quit making these kind of calls if you want, but I believe the tactics that are being used, as well as the callers, are the responsibility of the Foundatation. If you want to give them a piece of your mind, then by all means do so..... Actually, if somebody wants to hunt down some contact info for whoever is in charge of that group, post it up. I would be happy to share my opinions with them as well.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I just want to clarify something here, are you upset about the Foundation calling for donations or that the foundation was calling suggesting you donate to support the Marching Band?

I was in the ISUCFVMB during the 90's and am well aware of the hard work and sacrifice it takes to be in a collegiate marching band. I was part of a team when I was there and met most of my friends through that band.

I would ask that you please don't stereotype an entire group of people off of the actions (reprehensible they may be) of an individual who is probably in no way affiliated with the marching band.

They can call me right after gas goes to below $2.00/gal. and the stock market goes back above 12,000.