Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

CFN Preview: ISU @ BU

I don't necessarily agree with all of this; however, I think the review of our run defense is pretty accurate. However - turnovers will be huge, and we've made veteran teams turn the ball over frequently so far, so I think that's a huge advantage for us with a frosh qb, young rb and such for Baylor. I'll say flip the score and that's my prediction, due to 4 TOs by Baylor!

Iowa State (2-3) at Baylor (2-3), 7:05 EST
    Why to watch: This isnít exactly a preview of the Big 12 Championship, but these two arenít the doormats of the past, either. Iowa State head coach Gene Chizik and his Cyclones had Kansas on the ropes last week with a 20-0 halftime lead, only to see it go up in smoke in a rough 35-33 loss. That loss, on top of a heartbreaking overtime loss to UNLV and a clunker of a rivalry game against Iowa has made for a tough month around Ames. However, a win in Waco can turn things around. With winnable home games against Nebraska and Texas A&M up next, Iowa State can honestly dream of a bowl game with a win this week. Baylor has sparked up with the emergence of freshman dynamo Robert Griffin at quarterback under the direction of new head coach Art Briles. The Bears got blasted at Oklahoma last week, but thatís hardly anything to cry over. They battles in a good road loss to Connecticut and lost to Wake Forest in the opener before Griffin took over. Now the team is in need of a real win. Beating Washington State doesnít really count. With only two road games left and with Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri and Texas Tech still to deal with, any hope for a winning season starts with a win over the Cyclones. Iowa State holds a 4-3 edge all-time.
    Why Iowa State might win: The Cyclones are tied with Minnesota and Wake Forest with the most takeaways: 17. Chizikís defense might give up yards in bunches, but it wins its share of drives by forcing the big play. Baylor has a tremendous offensive line with some next level talent, but itís having a hard time in pass protection. Part of the problem is having a mobile, freshman quarterback to work in front of, but there are also some consistency issues. If Chizik and his staff can find a way to get into the backfield on a regular basis, the BU attack will shut down.
    Why Baylor might win
    : Iowa State has had problems against the run, and against running quarterbacks. UNLVís Omar Clayton is more of a passer than a runner, but he was able to get moving a little bit while Frank ďThe TankĒ Summers barreled for 109 yards. Kent Stateís Julian Edelman ran for 65 yards while RB Eugene Jarvis ran for 139 yards and a score. Basically, Iowa Stateís defensive front can be run on. BU might have been blasted by OU, but Griffin got his 102 yards and two touchdowns in. However, if Baylor is going to win, it also needs Ö
    Who to watch: Ö sophomore RB Jay Finley to get going. He ran for 119 yards against Washington State and 85 yards against Connecticut, but Griffin is the running offense. Finley hasnít rushed more than 11 times, but that needs to change. Griffin isnít a big guy and might not last a full season if heís running 20+ times a game.
    What will happen: Itíll be the Griffin show. Heíll bounce back from a shaky passing day against Oklahoma to keep the Baylor offense moving both through the air and on the ground, but Iowa State will get its licks in. QB Austen Arnaud can move, too. The two quarterbacks, and throw in a third, ISUís Patrick Bates, who should see more work this week, will combine for close to 200 rushing yards.
    CFN Prediction: Baylor 33 Ö Iowa State 27 ... Line: Baylor -4
    Must See Rating: (5 The Girls Next Door: Season 5- 1 2008 Chicago Cub Playoff Highlights) Ö 2.5

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Re: CFN Preview: ISU @ BU

Ugh..its Phillip Bates, not Patrick.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 19

Why are they so obsessed with "Patrick" Bates? He hasn't done anything for us this year!

Seriously, this is the 6th game of the year, and they haven't figured that out yet.

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, they've been saying Patrick all season... I even made a comment to one of their email addresses that i could actually find... great fact checking there.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 4

Looks like we need to take Griffin out, and we'll be fine. By out, I mean sack him, not literally "sack" him.. although that works too haha

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    Looks like we need to take Griffin out, and we'll be fine. By out, I mean sack him, not literally "sack" him.. although that works too haha
    Yeah, clean hits, not be d-bags like LSU's DL stated this week about taking intentional shots on Tebow to take him out...

But we definitely need to do a great job at containing Griffin. We had an excellent pass rush last weekend, and it needs to be the same. However, the threat of him on the perimeter is worrisome. We're going to have to finish tackles.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by isuarch80 View Post
    Yeah, clean hits, not be d-bags like LSU's DL stated this week about taking intentional shots on Tebow to take him out...

But we definitely need to do a great job at containing Griffin. We had an excellent pass rush last weekend, and it needs to be the same. However, the threat of him on the perimeter is worrisome. We're going to have to finish tackles.
    We were tackling much better against KU in the first half, but it got sloppy in the second half. Our offense was on the field quite a bit in the first half, and the D was rested, while in the second half, we failed to pick up first downs, and our D was chasing Sharp all over the field. Offense needs to get first downs and keep Griffin on the sidelines, so our D can stay refreshed.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 25

There were 2008 Cubs playoff highlights?

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Yeah, they've been saying Patrick all season... I even made a comment to one of their email addresses that i could actually find... great fact checking there.
    I did too, and got a pretty prompt response from Fiutak.

ACK! ... not sure why the brain cramp on that. Thanks for the kinds words. Changed now.

thanks!

Fiu
    CFN
    ----- Original Message ----- From: <>
    To: <pete@collegefootballnews.com>
    Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:14 AM
    Subject: Site Feedback

Just wanted to commend you guys for the excellent previews that you offer for the weekly Fearless Predictions. As an Iowa State fan, I deeply appreciate the research and analysis that goes into even the smaller teams that don't get a lot of national attention. Even so, you're not without your errors, and there's a glaring mistake week by week mentioning our soon-to-be-apparent back-up QB Phillip Bates, who is constantly mentioned as PATRICK Bates on this website. Patrick Bates played safety for A&M in the early 90s. PHILLIP Bates plays for us. :)

Keep up the great work.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't necessarily agree with all of this; however, I think the review of our run defense is pretty accurate. However - turnovers will be huge, and we've made veteran teams turn the ball over frequently so far, so I think that's a huge advantage for us with a frosh qb, young rb and such for Baylor. I'll say flip the score and that's my prediction, due to 4 TOs by Baylor!
    My thoughts exactly!

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

. . . With winnable home games against Nebraska and Texas A&M up next . . .
    Shh! Don't tell Nebraska fans.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Anybody else see the props to AA in this weeks mailbag over at SI.com?

Three teams that could crash, Kirk Ferentz's struggles and more - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Talks about him shredding KU.