Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

"Cyclone" Bars in Aggieville?

A group of my friends are travelling to Manhattan next month for the game and we have some questions for those who are knowledgeable on Manhattan and K-State football games. We heard that tailgating sucks because alcohol is not allowed around the stadium. Is this true? If so, do people just go to Aggieville before the games? Is there a designated Cyclone Bar in Aggieville?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 15

Re: "Cyclone" Bars in Aggieville?

Doubt there is a bar in Aggieville that is a "Cyclone" Bar... That is almost like us having a Hawkeye bar on Campus town.

You can't have hard alcohol... You can have beer, but you have to keep it concealed in a colored plastic cup...

It's not terrible tailgating, been there twice, but cops are really strict.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Tailgating in Manhattan is like a weaker version of Ames. Anyhow, we had no problem dumping booze in our cups in '06, and even if we didn't, I don't remember much for police presence. We tailgated with a lot of Cyclones in a lot that the locals called "sheep lot". This was not just a clever name. When we showed up 5hrs before kick off, and there was not a single other person out tailgating, we saw a guy chasing sheep out of the lot we wanted to tailgate in. My buddy became deathly ill later that week. He blames the sheep to this day. Anyways, we had a good time, mostly because we were next to a Cyclone RV that offered us free Hickory Park, as they had brought down several crock pots full of Saucy Southerner (if you are reading this, thank you). There was also a couple charter buses from Ames that we mingled with, and ran into some CF posters. It was a pretty good time for the most part. Don't expect Ames quality of tailgating, and you won't be let down.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 26

I was on one of the Gridiron Club charter buses next to you and we all were in the sheep and goat pens area....that's why you saw someone shooing out a sheep...a lot better than parking in the pig pens area for a Neb BB game

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

no problem drinking with it in cups, we premixed 2 liters of coke with captain and hot chocolate with bailey's. You can park right next to the stadium basically, but they are nothing like ISU IMO, but it isn't bad. We toured most of the bars after the game and everyone was pretty respectfull. My brother works for Kstate so we will be there again. Hopefully we can all tailgate together! The stadium is really outdated, get ready to sit on wood planks with the numbers written on your seat! If you get a chance to drive through campus it is worth it, every building is made of limestone which I thought was really cool.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by majorcyfan View Post
    I was on one of the Gridiron Club charter buses next to you and we all were in the sheep and goat pens area....that's why you saw someone shooing out a sheep...a lot better than parking in the pig pens area for a Neb BB game
    I bet you were the guy who told us about throwing whiskey bottles at Ralphie when he went nuts at Clyde. Yeah, I knew they grazed animals there, that was kind of my point about Manhattan sucking. It was a good time talking to the grid iron club. We heard some great stories about games at Clyde Williams.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 26

I got hit in the back with a Texas fifth, thrown from the top row of Clyde Williams stadium.....The ushers came up ant took the drunks away.....A little usher guy threw one of the drunks headfirst down the concrete steps and beat the living crap out of a drunk 300 lb guy who had thrown the Texas fifth at me, all before half time. The guy who got thrown down the steps headfirst was complaining that he had lost his watch but no one cared. Last I saw of the group, they were lined up in handcuffs against the Friley dorms wall just to the East of Clyde Williams field. Two of them were losing their groceries as they leaned up against the wall.

My wife was pregnant with our son that fall and discretion was the better part of valor, staying out of the fight going on up in the stands, even though I was hit with the bottle....they had just thrown it down the steps after emptying it....It hit me on the shoulder as it flew down the steps.

I saw a Nebraska PEP band leader get nailed between the eyes with an apple, throw by an ISU fan....who bought the apple from a Kiwanis Club selling them just outside the stadium...Beileve that was the Neb game Tom Gedgeon missed a field goal to beat Neb...we tied them...Neb called a time out and iced his kick to the south goal as Neb fans throwing oranges into the south end zone

Those were the days

Last edited by majorcyfan; 10-09-2008 at 01:24 AM.
    U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Pro
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 9

Our daughter works at K-State although all of us are ISU grads. We bought tickets for all of us thru ISU and look forward to seeing the stadium. We're doing the early Thanksgiving thing with them that weekend and celebrating a birthday, too. Lots of reasons to have fun.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

I wouldn't say the tailgating sucks, unless you compare it to ISU. It seemed to be very unregulated so drinking out of a cup will give you no problems. Look for the sheep lot which should be the first lot you encounter. The ones closest to the stadium seemed to be the student/donor lots.

KSU fans will arrive a little later than ISU fans but that's probably true wherever you go. The crowd seems to have more of a "hick" flavor than Ames for an Ag school, but we were tailgating with sheep. Par for the course, I suppose.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Doubt there is a bar in Aggieville that is a "Cyclone" Bar... That is almost like us having a Hawkeye bar on Campus town.

You can't have hard alcohol... You can have beer, but you have to keep it concealed in a colored plastic cup...

It's not terrible tailgating, been there twice, but cops are really strict.
    I should have phrased my question better. For those Clone fans who regularly go to Manhattan for games are are going this year, is there a certain bar in Aggieville that we can expect numerous Clone fans at post-game?

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

FYI on parking:
    Athletics officials noted one major change in parking near the stadium for the 2008 season. The grassy area known as the “sheep lot” at the northwest corner of Kimball and Denison avenues across from the fire station has been closed. The lot, which is owned by the KSU Foundation and had been operated by KSU agricultural clubs, will be unavailable as the KSU Foundation begins preparations for construction of its new office headquarters. Fans who utilized the sheep lot in past seasons are being directed to the grass parking areas north and east of the fire station on Kimball or to the paved lots behind the veterinary complex off Denison, in addition to the other satellite lots near the stadium.
    Lots open 5 hours prior to gametime. I've always had a good time tailgating there and think their scene is more similar to ISU's than most other schools I've been too.

As far as bars go I would recommend Rusty's because it's so big (basically 4 or 5 bars in one) you're bound to run in to some other Cyclone fans there and there are plenty of TVs for watching other games. I was there in '02 and K-State fans were buying us drinks because we still had our Cyclone gear on after that debacle.

Last edited by EggMcClone; 10-09-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Looks like the "sheep lot" is closed.

2008 Football Parking Alert - Kansas State University Wildcats Official Athletics Site

Where is everybody staying? I booked a room at the Econolodge on 24. It looks like it's a few miles from everything.