Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

After watching ISU-Kansas last night..

The main thought that I had was: "This is going to be a dangerous football team next year, offensively."

Defensively, they need to rally the wagons a bit up front, but they have time to do that.

But this offense is going to be potent. Darks and Johnson just look the part and they are going to terrorize some folks. If Bates is willing to play another position, that would be three freaking awesome options in the passing game. And they have running backs, and the line will mostly be back, too.

A young kicker as well.

ISU really killed itself in the second half on a lot of fronts...turnovers...missed blocks....players trying to get more yards when just two more (going north/south) would have been the wise thing.

Young teams do that sort of thing. It doesn't make a loss any less painful, especially when you are up 20-0....but, in year two of a coaching change, I think this team is showing CLEAR signs that the future is bright.

As an outside observer, and one that knows a thing or two about the team and the challenges they are dealing with this year, I came away very optimistic about the future of ISU football.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 788

Re: After watching ISU-Kansas last night..

Yep.

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

That's the biggest thing I saw while watching the game on TV Saturday. I guess I haven't been paying attention, but we've got a ton of freshman, if not true freshman, playing their first season of college football. If they keep this up, next year has a strong possibility to be a break out type of year.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,862
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 71

This year is not over, either. Still lots of chances to finish the job we started with KU.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 103

People here like to give you a lot of flack Jon, but I agree whole hearted in your assessment. Chizik has definitely brought in some good young talent, and I think we'll see even further progress throughout this season. Next year we will be very scary to other teams in the Big XII.

In regards to your Hawks, almost the exact same is true. They just have to learn to limit Turnovers, and they would be 5-0.

Its cool to see both teams on the upswing, can't wait for the game in Ames next year.

Regardless...thanks for the words of encouragement, a loss like what happended on Saturday will be haunting us for a while. Just like what happened to us when we were up to K-State 28-7 at half in 1999. The KSU loss, and this KU loss are probably the most disappointing losses I've had as a Cyclone Fan.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I will say that losing a 20-0 lead is very disappointing, but the willingness of the team to stick with it and come back to give themselves a last second chance to win is something to be proud of.

I know many people thought this game was over with 3:00 left, and to execute a TD and on-side kick to even put yourselves in the position to win the game are positive signs for the team. More than I think I've seen all year.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 857
    Given: 174

If I recall, Kansas had a team much similar to ours in 2006 with respect to age of players. Looking at thier schedule from 2006, 5 of their 6 losses were within 10 points. They had a young team that was close in just about every game and look what they did in their follow-up year...

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 128

I'm still upset today. It just sucks. Would have been a great win for Chizik's program..... Our guys wanted that win...but we made mistakes like young teams do. I still can't get that bad taste out of my mouth....man, we are better than this.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I thought Kansas would win this game by 20 points or more. I really did.

The coaches put in a great game plan, and the defense really came to play.

Looking at the second half of the UNLV game and the first half of the Kansas game, not many teams in the nation could hang with that kind of effort and execution.

But the thing with young players, the one and ONLY one thing you can count on is inconsistency. It's always been like that, and will continue to be.

There will be more big teases this year, and I hope there will be some payoffs for the kids and for the fans. Otherwise potential gets lost in negative emotion.

I still believe ISU is going to have to score 30 or more points to win all but one game the rest of the way...and even then, in the majority of the games, it might not be enough.

You simply play in the best conference in the nation, and you have a young team. But young players don't cave to losses the way that older players do, IMO.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I agree with what you are all saying but there comes a time that if you want to play with the big dogs then you need to win these games.

I can't believe I just said Kansas was a big dog in football. (Now chewing on my own vomit.)

"where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    The main thought that I had was: "This is going to be a dangerous football team next year, offensively."

Defensively, they need to rally the wagons a bit up front, but they have time to do that.

But this offense is going to be potent. Darks and Johnson just look the part and they are going to terrorize some folks. If Bates is willing to play another position, that would be three freaking awesome options in the passing game. And they have running backs, and the line will mostly be back, too.

A young kicker as well.

ISU really killed itself in the second half on a lot of fronts...turnovers...missed blocks....players trying to get more yards when just two more (going north/south) would have been the wise thing.

Young teams do that sort of thing. It doesn't make a loss any less painful, especially when you are up 20-0....but, in year two of a coaching change, I think this team is showing CLEAR signs that the future is bright.

As an outside observer, and one that knows a thing or two about the team and the challenges they are dealing with this year, I came away very optimistic about the future of ISU football.

You had me at hello....*tear*

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Anyone else upset with the play calling after the onside kick. We tried a slant and failed. That one is ok. Then we try a screen. Why? Then a slant but opposite field, again why? Its now 3 and 10 and we need to get to the 20 for field position. It wasn't until we were backed in the corner that we went long and it was so close. If maybe not for the wind, that ball might have been more catchable.

I just felt that in the second half we got stopped because we had no more plays to run. It was all the same looks to the same people. They made their adjustments and shut us down. The first drive was the best because we came out play calling that hasn't been shown by us this year. The only drive that our running game worked. After that, the QB read got us minimal gains and still had tons of 3 and 8 or 9.

I will still give time for this coaching staff because I felt I finally saw something new and exciting that this team can do well with once given more time. But it's just the frustrations I think of still having a new team and new coaches that our offense can't be a little more open than what it's been for 4 quarters, not just 2.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rte4st8 View Post
    I agree with what you are all saying but there comes a time that if you want to play with the big dogs then you need to win these games.

I can't believe I just said Kansas was a big dog in football. (Now chewing on my own vomit.)

Absolutely correct, we need to win one of these!!!

But this is a process, and to get to the level of which we are talking about, it takes some time, and more important, RECRUITING. We are seeing signs of what is possible, now we just need more players.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I wasn't upset with the play calling at all. If the screen would have been executed better it could have been a big gain against the soft coverage.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

players trying to get more yards when just two more (going north/south) would have been the wise thing
    This is what aggravated me the most. We danced left and right and missed out on first downs. Had we lowered our shoulders we would have won this game.