Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

Coaxial Cable Questions

I need to run another cable into my house for a TV in our basement gym area. I bought some decent coaxial cable that has no connectors. So I also bought the F type connectors and a crimper. Now, I've never put on a crimped connector but I thought it looked easy enough. However, I can't get it to work well. The box says to cut back the cable so that inner conductor is exposed 3/8" of an inch. That part is easy enough. But the next step is strip the exterior and sheilding away from another 1/8" of cable so that the exterior conductor is exposed. I can't get that to work well. I there a trick to that? Is the exterior conductor the foil like layer? I keep damaging that layer and that seems like it might cause signal loss.

Another question I have is I currently have a 3 way splitter on the outside of the house. It is full. I was looking at 4 way splitter at Menards last night and they have cheap ones and then they have "Monsters" brand for $30. Is it worth the extra money for the Monster Splitter. All the splitters warn that signal should be boosted before using but I can't do that since the splitter is on the exterior of my house. I currently have two TVs (1 with a digital box) and high speed internet coming into the house so loss of signal is important. I especially don't want to slow my internet speeds.

Any help is appreciated. I seem to recall someone who used to work as a Cable guy. Anyone?

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 572

Re: Coaxial Cable Questions

When you cut through the outer layer, do so with a sharp knife and light pressure, cutting almost all of the way through the outside coating. Peel it off from there. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you damage the outside wiring and foil slightly, as they will make contact when you jam the connecter down between the outer cover and the shielding. The main thing is to make sure that none of the outer wires come in contact with the inner wire when done.

A good, high quality four way splitter should be fine, and shouldn't reduce your signal level much from your existing three way, assuming you have normal signal strength.

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 10-06-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

Not an expert on best way to splice coax connections, but you can get the cable company to boost the signal if you experience too much loss. As far as buying splitters, look at the frequency range and loss on the package. The cable company might provide you with one too. You could always look to split a cable further down the line inside the house past the cable modem which will then not degrade the signal before it.

I

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    When you cut through the outer layer, do so with a sharp knife and light pressure, cutting almost all of the way through the outside coating. Peel it off from there. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you damage the outside wiring and foil slightly, as they will make contact when you jam the connecter down between the outer cover and the shielding. The main thing is to make sure that none of the outer wires come in contact with the inner wire when done.

A good, high quality four way splitter should be fine, and shouldn't reduce your signal level much from your existing three way, assuming you have normal signal strength.
    The crimp type F Connectors have an inner sleeve and outer sleeve. Do you know if the inner sleeve is actually supposed to slide under the jacket of the cable? If so, that is what I can't get to happen.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

The splitter brand should not matter generally anything that saws monster is a rip off.

Having a 4 way splitter shouldn't effect your tv service but could hinder your internet service. You really should have a amp for this. And a question for you is the crimper you got a compression crimper or one of the ones that you just pinch down on?

The ones you pinch down on don't work that great unfortunately.

http://www.diy-home-theater-design.c...ing-cable.html if you have a pinching one follow this, it should help

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Not an expert on best way to splice coax connections, but you can get the cable company to boost the signal if you experience too much loss. As far as buying splitters, look at the frequency range and loss on the package. The cable company might provide you with one too. You could always look to split a cable further down the line inside the house past the cable modem which will then not degrade the signal before it.

I
    I can't do that in my house. Each room has a single run of cable that starts on the exterior of the house. I suppose it is done that way to if I wanted Dish instead of cable, I wouldn't need to pull a bunch of cables through the wall as they already are.

Sounds like I should just bite the bullet and drop $30 on a good splitter.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cytech View Post
    The splitter brand should not matter generally anything that saws monster is a rip off.

Having a 4 way splitter shouldn't effect your tv service but could hinder your internet service. You really should have a amp for this. And a question for you is the crimper you got a compression crimper or one of the ones that you just pinch down on?

The ones you pinch down on don't work that great unfortunately.
    I don't see how I could run an amp with the exterior connections.

I have just the pinch down crimper.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    I can't do that in my house. Each room has a single run of cable that starts on the exterior of the house. I suppose it is done that way to if I wanted Dish instead of cable, I wouldn't need to pull a bunch of cables through the wall as they already are.

Sounds like I should just bite the bullet and drop $30 on a good splitter.
    Not necessarily. Like I said you have to look at the specs on the different splitters, i.e loss and frequency. I had a problem one time with signal degradation because the distance was too far and the cable guy came out and turned a screw to boost the signal and that was all it took.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

Maybe run 2 connections from the splitter outside then run 1 other cable inside with a amp then split 2 more connections to other areas.

I think you can get a all weather utility box for the outside of the hose you could put it in as well.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 572

The crimp type F Connectors have an inner sleeve and outer sleeve. Do you know if the inner sleeve is actually supposed to slide under the jacket of the cable? If so, that is what I can't get to happen.
    If that is the type I am thinking of, those are a pain in the ***. I used to install antenna systems, and we always used the ones with a separate rings to crimp, which made pushing the connector between the outer covering and the inner foil/wiring a lot easier.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    If that is the type I am thinking of, those are a pain in the ***. I used to install antenna systems, and we always used the ones with a separate rings to crimp, which made pushing the connector between the outer covering and the inner foil/wiring a lot easier.
    Yeah, I just tried it again and I can't get it to slide far enough under the jacket of the cable. I think I'll try the two piece connector you are talking about.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I've always used a box cutter razor blade and cut off about an inch or more of the jacket. Like was said, take the blade and score all the way around, down to the copper cable itself.

Put the connector on. The inner sleeve should slide between the shielding and the inner, usually white coating. Crimp it down. I then use a wire cutter to trim off the extra copper wire.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,570
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 59

Lowe's makes a great cutter/crimping tool, I swear by them after running 2nd and 3rd lines to a couple of rooms in my house for dual tuner DVR's and an OTA antenna. They have yellow handles, and come with 5 RG-6 connectors and 5 RG-59 connectors, cost around $20, and worked magic compared to the other tools I have tried in the past.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,958
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 37

I am not endorsing a product or page here. This is the only example I could find of what I'm talking about. If you want to have good solid connections, this is the only way to go. These are the compression type fittings.

Lock & Seal Compression Style F-Connector (RG59) | ShowMeCables

They are the type the pros use. I have a friend in the business and wouldn't use anything else now. Unfortunately, you'll find the tool for the compression is stupid expensive. But, if you have a lot of cable to run and connections to make, it's really the only way to go. The slip on crimp or twist type connectors just aren't reliable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 25

I don't see how I could run an amp with the exterior connections.

I have just the pinch down crimper.
    Mediacom installed an amp at my place which is back fed to the outside splitter. Power supply is in the basement.