Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Question I-State vs Texas A&M

Howdy Cyclones! I'm a Texas A&M fan who's making my first visit up to Iowa in late October. I have a goal to visit every Big XII Stadium over the next 4 years. Only 8 more to go!

The wife and I are flying into and staying in Des Moines, but love to live the "pre-game" stuff that goes on at the other Big XII Schools.

Is there a place people hang out and go Friday night? Anything we have to see or do while there? Tried to scout some websites, but didn't find anything specific.

Also, I have 2 extra tickets I need to unload - Section G, Row15.

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Re: I-State vs Texas A&M

Sent you a PM

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Not sure about the friday night seen, but the tailgating is 2nd to none in the Big XII. Enjoy yourself. Friendly fans.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 458

Go out to eat at Hickory Park. Well maybe Great Plains Pizza since you're from Texas and already have good BBQ.

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I second the Hickory Park. It's amazing how much food you get for very little price. And it's awesome food!

As for Friday night, I don't know much about the Des Moines scenery as I'm still a student here at ISU but if you do decide to come to Ames Friday night there are bars to fit whatever your style.

If it is a night game I encourage you to take an hour or so and just stroll through our campus...It really is a thing of beauty

Tailgating is always fun and one-of-a-kind. There is so much parking within a 3-5 minute walk of the stadium it is good. Arrive early, not 3 hours early, like 6 hours early and soak in everything. Go around and meet some other cyclone fans as I'm sure they'd be glad to meet you as well.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

I don't believe there is an official get-to-gether in DM on Friday...none that I know of anyway.

The tailgate lots open 6 hours before kickoff and fans start showing up to get in line before that. It's a really great atmosphere and 95% of the ISU fans will welcome you with open arms so don't be scared to interact with the people around you.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

I'd come and revisit the stadium in 2-4 years as we're in the process of massive upgrades. Right now it looks like an overglorified high school stadium - within 5 years, once we get the renovations completed and the south endzone enclosed, it should look like a stadium that actually belongs in the Big XII.

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 10-02-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What kind of entertainment are you looking for when you come up?

I'm thinking the A&M game is homecoming for us, so the band ought to be travelign through campus town playing Bar Fights (stop in at the bars and play the fight song) that night.

Mass Campinelling on Central campus at midnight as well (kissing under the clock tower with significant other...)

As for the more common activities, Great Plains Sauce and Dough company is a good place in Ames if you want a more unique resteraunt. Hickory Park is good for us northerners, not sure what a Texan would think but it's a popular place to eat in Ames, and can't beat the price.

The college bars are all on Welch Ave right next to the campus, for other bars... ask alumni (ok, alumni that live in Ames )

Tailgating starts 6 hours before kick off, people are friendly and there is a lot of room so come on out for that.

If you're looking for stuff to do in Des Moines... not as familiar with what all goes on there. I'm sure there are some good resteraunts in Des Moines, Science Center is bound to be showing stuff on the IMAX, etc but all of that is a bit detached from the campus (1/2 hour drive) so if you're looking for stuff related to ISU/game day you'll want to head to Ames anyways.
    Hope you have fun in Ames.

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 770
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

A couple friends and I went to A&M a few years ago for the game; one big difference between the two schools tailgating wise is not everyone up here brings their own pull-behind grills. When you get to the stadium, park by someone with a grill and make friends. Also, our tailgating lots have WAY more porta potties than A&M.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Stop by our tailgate, I will buy ya a beer!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay - not to pile on the Aggie who comes in peace, but coincedentally I got this link emailed to me this morning, and it's too funny not to share. Hopefully you guys will have a more positive outlook on things in a few weeks...
    TexAgs.com - A&M Football

To add my 2 pennies - Friday night in campustown will be the place to be, especially since it's homecoming. Mickey's, Paddy's and Cy's will probably have the biggest gatherings. Otherwise, everything said about the tailgating is spot on.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

I think the other folks pretty much have it covered. Des Moines is a fun town too. If you're staying downtown, and don't feel like heading up to Ames, the Court Ave district is pretty neat, too.

We may not have the best stadium in the Big 12, but I doubt you'll find much better tailgating. 5 hours even for an 11 AM start is not too early to show up.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 137

If you are staying in Des Moines and obviously like football, check out a 4A(biggest class) Football game.
    Obviously not the calibur of Texas HS Football, but there will be some pretty good games on Oct 24 which is the last regular season week of HS football here.
    A potential top 10 matchup in Waukee will have the Warriors taking on upstart Mason City.
    Valley Stadium (Biggest HS stadium in the state) will have a top 10 matchup of Dowling Catholic and Johnston.
    Another matchup of schools with absolute hatred of each other will be just north of Des Moines as Ankeny hosts SE Polk.
    History of very close games, last second field goals, and fights with this one in a top 10 matchup of 2 teams who will run smash mouth football all night long.
    All these games are within a 20 minute drive of Des Moines.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I personally would cancel that hotel in Des Moines and find one in Ames. There are some fun bars in campustown Ames and the restaurants are good. I agree with other posters that Great Plains Pizza on Main St. is a good place to go for visitors. Texans wouldn't be impressed with Hickory Park.

If you do stay in Des Moines, I'd try Court Ave downtown. There are some cool newer bars down there. Either way, head to the parking lots around Jack Trice as early as possible.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Appreciate the feedback guys. If I would have known about the construction I might have put this game off. I'm purposely avoiding Oklahoma State for that very reason.

I'm at work, but will find time to respond to the great info posted here. Thanks again!