Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 7

Chevy Volt

Ok, I am usually one to bash American car companies. But Chevy has got their act together, and I really want one of the 2010 Volts.

NASCAR, meet the electric Chevy Volt - CNN.com

What does everyone think about a plug in hybrid that can go 40 Miles before even turning on the gasoline engine? This car is going to change the future, I am not sure Chevy will be able to produce enough.

EDIT: and it actually looks sorta cool.. much better than a Prius.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

Re: Chevy Volt

It looks semi-normal...I like it!

40 miles though would take care of a lot of people's commutes...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Ok, I am usually one to bash American car companies. But Chevy has got their act together, and I really want one of the 2010 Volts.

What does everyone think about a plug in hybrid that can go 40 Miles before even turning on the gasoline engine? This car is going to change the future, I am not sure Chevy will be able to produce enough.

I'm thinking about giving up the Mustang for this, that is how impressed I am with it. All I need is some engine SFX when it's on battery power.

ďThere have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.Ē

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,922
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post

we'll see. when toyota brings out their plug in prius in 2010 (I think) this volt likely won't even dent the prius sales. It is nice an american company is thinking outside the box FINALLY but they are so far behind I am not optimistic they will catch toyota or honda as far as green fuel efficient vehicles. for those that want a green car but refuse to buy anything not made in detroit and instead reward US companies for producing cars we don't want or need this will be a good option.

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,583
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I think it's pretty hideous, though better than a Prius, but there is a lot to like in the drivetrain.

The Volt does some pretty cool stuff, though. I suspect Chevy will find a way to screw it up somehow, knowing their past, but if they can manage to keep the build quality up, and everything else lives up to the hype, it might be a big success.

If it turns into a 30k Impala, I think I'll pass. Even if gas was 10 dollars a gallon, I'd come out ahead with my current transportation situation vs. buying a new, 30k car that got even 100MPG.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 7

If I could buy it today for 30k I would. I hope it is affordable.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I heard that the electricity cost to power it for that first 40 miles is about the equivalent to paying 70-80 cents per gallon for gas. Pretty good deal.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 5

I hope this catches on, and I hope they continue to make more improvements. I also hope Chevy can get their act together and become a HUGE player in the cars of the future.

I have been so frustrated that American auto companies have been lagging behind in a) quality cars, and b) good-looking cars. I just don't understand how they got beat so badly, and I would love for them to get back into the lead.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It is nice to see Chevy getting back into the market... they lacked anything appealing at all when I was looking last year. Not sure you'll see me in a Volt when it comes out... but certainly something to consider down the road

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Has anyone in authority thought through the ramifications of plug in hybrids ?

I think it is great that automakers are going in this direction but we need to think through the big picture.

PErsonally I find this intriguing but I don't think I'm going to be first inline to trade in the Acura TL for a Volt..

1) Roads are funded at least partially by taxes on a gallon of gas. If folks are getting 40 miles free, that is 2 less gallons sold. Multiply that by millions and we have a serious funding shortfall.

2) If we lower gas demand, does it also bring down the price of Diesel with it ? If it doesn't, shipping or harvesting stuff doesn't get any cheaper

3) If a plug in hybird runs silently on battery, how are we going to keep <EDIT> BLIND </EDIT> folks safe.

4) How do we handle all the old batteries in a decade ? Can a non dealer service this thing ? Are emergency services equiped to handle an electric car (seriously, if the jaws of life hit a power supply...)

5) How long does the battery last?

6) what is the impact on our already overtaxed US Electrical grid ?

7) Is electricity cleaner than burning gas in a lowe emission gas engine ? I would guess it is, but...

Again, I think it is great that automakers are starting to show results of electric cars and battery technology, but we need to think through all of this so we just dont move the problem. For example, Are high gas prices more acceptable than blackouts because of more electrical demand ?

Last edited by matmann22; 10-01-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Pass. I'll keep driving the Denali.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Our aging and inadequate electrical grid is enough for a whole other topic right there...

Battery life would be a concern for me. Would the savings on gas equal the cost of replace the battery pack every so often? Also, will that 40 mpc be consistent, or will that start to drop off after so many charges?

Still a lot of questions.

Still nice to see Chevy getting with the market though (I love my Hyundai but there is something to be said for supporting your country's economy)

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    we'll see. when toyota brings out their plug in prius in 2010 (I think) this volt likely won't even dent the prius sales. It is nice an american company is thinking outside the box FINALLY but they are so far behind I am not optimistic they will catch toyota or honda as far as green fuel efficient vehicles. for those that want a green car but refuse to buy anything not made in detroit and instead reward US companies for producing cars we don't want or need this will be a good option.
    Hilarious, considering Toyota was saying a year or two there was no way GM could accomplish this. Never mind the fact it's pretty much the exact same car they had 10 years ago, just now they have an actual honest-to-goodness market where they can reasonably turn a profit. Now Toyota's jumping into the game, beat to the punch for the first time in decades. Now Toyota (and apparently their blind loyalists) turn to the "bash the American auto maker" tactic just so they can feel better about themselves.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

if it looked anything like the concept I'd be intrigued. looks like crap though.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,922
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Hilarious, considering Toyota was saying a year or two there was no way GM could accomplish this. Never mind the fact it's pretty much the exact same car they had 10 years ago, just now they have an actual honest-to-goodness market where they can reasonably turn a profit. Now Toyota's jumping into the game, beat to the punch for the first time in decades. Now Toyota (and apparently their blind loyalists) turn to the "bash the American auto maker" tactic just so they can feel better about themselves.
    I am not bashing the american auto maker to make myself feel better. They make horrible cars with horrible gas milage and need lots of repairs...THAT IS WHY THEY ARE GOING BROKE! If chevy made a car with the same safety data, fuel economy, and low maintanence needs as toyota I would absolutely love to buy from them. Until they do I won't give them money for a car that basically tells them it is okay to build crap I will buy it anyway just because it was made here.