Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 256

Question Roof & Rafter Repair Needed

We have an issue with the roof decking around the chimney in our house that will require a 10 foot section of the roof decking to be replaced all around the chimney. The shingles are completely new from a complete roof tear-off that was done last year before we bought the house, but the contractor didn't replace some wood the was damaged from previous leakage. Of course the shingles would have to be removed in the area to be repaired and new flashing around the chimney would also need to be done.

Anybody know a good, reliable and competitively priced contractor that does this type of work?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Roof & Rafter Repair Needed

Just go to the East side, stand on any corner and shout "Necesito las partes posteriores fuertes que pueden cubrir una casa. ˇLe pagaré con tequila libre!" Sorry, but that is the best I can do.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

My neighbor used to be a general contractor that did this type of work. He's not doing it as much as he used to. He did my roof and beat every other quote I had by over $2,000. He does things a little differently. He tells you every supply you'll need, then you can get it however or wherever you want. You pay for it and have it ready for him and then he does the work. It basically passes savings on to you if you can comparison shop and it prevents customers from stiffing him. It works beautifully. He's still doing work on the side but is now working pretty regularly doing something else. I still plan on using him for replacing windows. PM me if you're interested.

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

You might not think so, but our company would do that! Would be strictly T&M type of thing.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    We have an issue with the roof decking around the chimney in our house that will require a 10 foot section of the roof decking to be replaced all around the chimney. The shingles are completely new from a complete roof tear-off that was done last year before we bought the house, but the contractor didn't replace some wood the was damaged from previous leakage. Of course the shingles would have to be removed in the area to be repaired and new flashing around the chimney would also need to be done.

Anybody know a good, reliable and competitively priced contractor that does this type of work?

Thanks!
    Jeremy
    I am curious as to if you had a reputable home inspector do a pre-buy inspection? This type of situation should have been obvious during an attic inspection. Excited buyers tend to be wowed by kitchens, great rooms, master baths, etc. A competent inspector spends time looking at utilities, foundations and attics.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 256

We used AmeriSpec for the home inspection and I'm always very critical of defects, though the attic is the one place I didn't go because the all clear was given and he took some good pics of the attic - though not around the chimney. I did give everything else a very careful look to know what we were getting into (not our first home purchase) but I didn't give enough attention to the attic.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.