Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Lower paying job vs. Higher paying job

Okay, I have been offered thru a Temp agency to go to work at Wells Fargo, they have informed me that this a Temp to Hire position.

Here are Pros about this position:
    1) Might have a better chance of advancement. I am currently at a family owned business with little chance of advancement.
    2) Since, it is a bigger company, I would think they would have better benefits then my current position at a smaller company.
    3) They have a training class for this position.
    4) Being at a small company where I am currently, we have no back up when someone is sick or on vacation.

Cons about this position:
    1)It is almost a dollar an hour below want I am currently making. My job was eliminated two years ago, and I had to take a three dollar pay cut for this position.
    2) It is in a call center setting, and I would be just speaking to my customer's over the phone. I currently get to meet some of my customer's face to face, and move around as I a please.

Well those are just a few of pros and cons, I have to let them know by Monday morning about my decision.

I have been looking for awhile, and since I am forty-eight, I can not be jumping from job to job, so I have to be certain about this move.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

Re: Lower paying job vs. Higher paying job

I started at Wells out at Jordan Creek as a temp to hire through Kelly Services. Got there, did the 6 week training, then dominated all of their actual WF employees in stats for about a month and was hired to the High Value customer service department, and been there for about 2 years.

You have to remember also that there is an incentive program that allows you to earn more than just the regular hourly rate. I've gotten upwards of $800 in a month one time, and I usually average around $300/month.

The job itself isn't that bad, but I'm in an area where I don't have to just sit on the phone all day long. In regular customer service, that's what you'd be doing.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 78

It is what you make of it.

Take it on as a challenge and kick butt, you'll eventually be rewarded well.

Tread water and do only what you need to do to keep your job, and you'll end up joining in the masses who's only main motivation in life it to evaluate political candidates each November to decide who they can vote for that will provide them the things in life they are not willing to work for themselves.

OK...that was a bit over the top...I'll admit that.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 09-25-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

FYI,

Careful about posting actual company names, information and jobs in any online forum, no matter what you say, it could come back to haunt you somehow....

Pro
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,022
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    FYI,

Careful about posting actual company names, information and jobs in any online forum, no matter what you say, it could come back to haunt you somehow....
    Your boss may be reading your post. That would suck.

Prospect
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 374
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

From a guy who's worked at a temp agency for quite a few years, here are some thoughts.

Find out from the agency what the temp to hire terms are w/Wells Fargo (total number of hours they estimate you work as a temp before being hired as a direct employee of Wells Fargo.) While Wells Fargo bene's will most likely be better than a small family owned company (might want to find out for sure) they still don't mean much if you're not technically working for WF. Additionally, for the interim period, find out what bene's the agency offers, you may need supplemental insurance if they don't have much to offer.

Find out what the pay scale will be when you're hired direct by WF and what the typical schedule (6 mos, yearly, etc.) for performance review/possible pay increase.

Typically the the pay scale for a temp/agency position will be higher than the actual pay scale of the direct position, to offset lack of benefits and additional risk incurred on your part. Yes, risk. Whether you've been told or not, the time while you're working for the agency is essentially a trial period. Typically, the better you perform, the sooner you'll transition to a WF employee. If you struggle or have setbacks, expect to continue indefinitely as an agency employee. Don't be afraid to ask for a higher rate.

The other items on your Pro/Con list I would consider personal preference (call center setting, employee backup, etc.) so only you can know how much weight they should carry in your decision.

Sounds like you have a great opportunity to get your foot in the door with one of the premier companies in the area. Just do your homework tomorrow so you can make an informed decision over the weekend.

Good luck!

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 31

Here is a couple of things about Wells too, especially in the call centers. There is alot of politics going on. The supervisors, middle management know it is a high turnover business and they can get away with alot. There are alot of middle management people there with no degrees that have been there forever and they WILL view you as a threat. Wells is also cutting back on the middle management jobs, so advancement isn't as easy as it used to be. Just a few years ago you could breeze through getting promotions every siz month, not as much anymore... The benefits and vacation time are nice. Also a good idea to take advantage of them paying for graduate classes... Overall you just need to trust your gut...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 306

I worked at WF for about a year and I liked it but it really depends on what department you work in. The same can be said of other large companies. I now work for another company and my area helps support 15+ call centers and it really varies on what type of job it is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 38

The money factor shouldn't be the biggest factor. That's my advice. You have to want to be where you are, or at least see where you could be going. If you don't like your job or prospects, but are making good money, in the end it won't be worth it. My wife left an insurance company downtown and doubled her pay---it was great, all kinds of new toys around the house--but as the months went on she hated the job and politics of it, to the point where it affected our marriage. She quit and makes a lot less money now--but she's happy. We'd love more money, but it's not worth being unhappy each day you go to work.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    The money factor shouldn't be the biggest factor. That's my advice. You have to want to be where you are, or at least see where you could be going. If you don't like your job or prospects, but are making good money, in the end it won't be worth it. My wife left an insurance company downtown and doubled her pay---it was great, all kinds of new toys around the house--but as the months went on she hated the job and politics of it, to the point where it affected our marriage. She quit and makes a lot less money now--but she's happy. We'd love more money, but it's not worth being unhappy each day you go to work.
    I'd second this. I worked a job I knew going in that I wouldn't like b/c the paycheck was good. Regardless of the money, at the very least be able to stand your job. Working in a job you don't like simply isn't worth it no matter the money.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I've worked at jobs that are in call center environments and it can be a very lonely job. No real interaction with even your co-workers. Basically you arrive at work, put on your headset in your cubicle and stay on the phone for 8 hours. It can be a very draining job. I've also noticed customers are a lot different on the phone than they are in person. They will say things on the phone that they would never consider saying to your face. If you could advance in a fairly short time frame where you wouldn't have to be on the phones all of the time I would go for it, just keep in mind that it is very challenging sitting there all day with a headset waiting for the phone to ring.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I don't think I could do the call center thing, too repetitive, too many annoying customers. I'd think long and hard about which job you really see yourself doing for the foreseeable future. Money definitely will come second to being angry that you have to go to a job you hate everyday.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    Okay, I have been offered thru a Temp agency to go to work at Wells Fargo, they have informed me that this a Temp to Hire position.

Here are Pros about this position:
    1) Might have a better chance of advancement. I am currently at a family owned business with little chance of advancement.
    2) Since, it is a bigger company, I would think they would have better benefits then my current position at a smaller company.
    3) They have a training class for this position.
    4) Being at a small company where I am currently, we have no back up when someone is sick or on vacation.

Cons about this position:
    1)It is almost a dollar an hour below want I am currently making. My job was eliminated two years ago, and I had to take a three dollar pay cut for this position.
    2) It is in a call center setting, and I would be just speaking to my customer's over the phone. I currently get to meet some of my customer's face to face, and move around as I a please.

Well those are just a few of pros and cons, I have to let them know by Monday morning about my decision.

I have been looking for awhile, and since I am forty-eight, I can not be jumping from job to job, so I have to be certain about this move.

You will also want to consider that as a temp/contract employee you will not have benefits through WF. The temp company may offer you a plan that is outrageous, but not WF. Also, WF will tend to low-ball on an offer to a temp employee when they do hire. The compensation can actually be less than what you will be making at the temp office, but will include company sponsored benes. And once you are in, compensation increases are rather disappointing, even for high performers. If I was to go back there, I'd go in through WF's HR, not a temp service. And as a person stated below, there is a lot of politics in middle managment in these type of departments and the management itself tends to be less than educated.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    I don't think I could do the call center thing, too repetitive, too many annoying customers. I'd think long and hard about which job you really see yourself doing for the foreseeable future. Money definitely will come second to being angry that you have to go to a job you hate everyday.
    At a good company, this can be a great way to get your foot in the door. Don't discount it.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    At a good company, this can be a great way to get your foot in the door. Don't discount it.
    I wouldn't doubt it, I'm just saying it wouldn't be a job I could do for any length of time.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.