Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Analysis of Pollard's Interviews

OK -- Here are the only candidates that we know for a fact Pollard has interviewed:

Jim Harbaugh
    Jay Norvell
    Brian Kelly

For all we know there could have been others interviewed. We do know that several others were contacted but expressed no interest (see Chizik, potentially Kragthorpe, etc.)

(1) If the above list really is it, I have to believe that most people on this list weren't interested. If that's true, then the whole argument that no one wants to coach at ISU has to hold some sort of water. I never believed it, but I have a hard time believing Pollard executed an extensive search if the 3 above were the only few that interviewed.

(2) If the above list is all Pollard cared to interview, he's crazy.

(3) Several others interviewed.

I have a feeling that (1) is the most likely answer. I'm sure more than the above 3 were interviewed, but I have a feeling some of the top names didn't have any interest. If Brian Kelly really was #1 from Day One, then Pollard has seen something about him that we haven't.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Analysis of Pollard's Interviews

Like it or not, ISU is not a job someone thinks about and says, "I've got to go there!" It's known as the 2nd best job in the state, has one of the lowest athletic budgets in the Big XII and is in Ames, IA. Assuming Kelly is going to run a clean, successful program, I'd say we will be just fine...

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 302
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
    Like it or not, ISU is not a job someone thinks about and says, "I've got to go there!" It's known as the 2nd best job in the state, has one of the lowest athletic budgets in the Big XII and is in Ames, IA. Assuming Kelly is going to run a clean, successful program, I'd say we will be just fine...
    And if Kelly can recruit. Mid-majors are known for recruiting guys that fit their program not necessarily the best athletes. That mentality will help us somewhat but won't win any Big 12 Championships. We need to be able to steal some Texas recruits. Is it at all possible to steal some away from Michigan/MSU to the Big 12? In Big 10 country, it's unlikely.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    And if Kelly can recruit. Mid-majors are known for recruiting guys that fit their program not necessarily the best athletes. That mentality will help us somewhat but won't win any Big 12 Championships. We need to be able to steal some Texas recruits. Is it at all possible to steal some away from Michigan/MSU to the Big 12? In Big 10 country, it's unlikely.
    Believe it or not, but Earle Bruce back in the late '70's really recruited Illinois and Ohio hard and with great success. He also recruited Florida and some Texas.

Brian Kelly has players on his roster from Illinois, Ohio, Florida, Texas, Georgia, New Jersey, Wisconsin plus Michigan. He had an 8-4 record this year with only 13 seniors and 17 juniors. His starting quarterback was a freshman, running back a sophomore and backup running back was freshman. Recruiting is very important but even more important is developing players and getting everything out of their talents and abilities.