Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 1

Federal Job x2

Another Federal job question.

can someone explain how a federal employee raises work.
    Do they get a cost of living raise plus an annual review like the state? Is there ever bonuses handed out? Can anyone give any advice or recommendations about working for the federal goverment? Thanks!

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Re: Federal Job x2

It depends on the type of job, honestly.

Generally speaking, there are yearly cost of living raises, and then there are "steps" of pay. So you might start out at step 1 and work your way up to step 10 while maintaining the same GS level.

General Schedule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a pretty good explanation.

This is assuming you're talking about a GS job for the generic federal gov't.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 131

Most federal jobs are on the GS schedule, so given your experience and the job you're applying for, you can basically know ahead of time what your pay is going to be for the next few years. Keep in mind most cities will have a cost of living adjustment as well. Also, you will get an annual "inflation" increase of anywhere between 1 and 3%.

I worked for the Corps of Engineers for two years, and they started a program called NSPS that is supposedly a "pay for performance" type system. It was very complicated, but long story short, based on your performance (on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being you're fired...or should be, 3 being good job for doing your job, and 5 being you're a rock star) you'd get annual rating. I don't know about most employees, but myself and another young guy who had been there for less than 2 years both got #4 ratings. Your rating determines your raise/bonus, and it's up to the guys upstairs and/or budgets whether you'd get a raise or a bonus. A lot of people were worried everone would just get bonuses (raise is better because you get that in subsequent years as well), but I think most people got fairly substantial raises.

This system is still in its infancy and time will tell whether it shakes out over the long run, but what we were hearing at the time is that this NSPS eventually would take over the GS schedule for all fed employees. I doubt this will happen however (at least soon), as I now am a grad student and work jointly with the USDA, and nobody here has heard of it.

My two cents on fed work from my experience: good people, good benefits, flexible schedule, decent pay. Lots of expected federal red tape BS, but I've been in private jobs that have a lot more BS and a much worse experience. I think if I had a family (kids) it would have been much harder to leave a federal job. Good luck~!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,281
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 1

Thanks guys! This has helped a bunch. My current job has only room for 4% increases (if you are a rock star) with no bonuses.

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 18

Jumbo and Kendall have characterized it pretty well. NSPS is for Department of Defense white collar employees. As Kendall said, it's only been out a couple of years. There is something of a quota on ratings--the expectation is a bell curve, with the majority of employees getting a "3". It's too early to tell how payouts will work out over time as compared to the GS system, but NSPS is supposed to be cost neutral (no extra money overall). The theory is high performers get more, while "valued employees" get something less, while marginal performers get little to nothing.
    Homeland Security has a similar pay for performance system. The rest of the federal government (to my knowledge) uses the GS system.
    Employee benefits are decent. You can get decent medical coverage with the gov't paying about 72% of the cost. Vision and dental coverage is lousy-you'd need supplemental insurance which is available at employee's cost. They have a 401K (thrift savings plan) where they match your contribution up to 5% of salary. Job security is still something of a benefit, although not as much as in the past. Lots of outsourcing initiatives here and there. All in all, you get the satisfaction of serving your country, if you're into that kind of thing.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 619

I'm not on NSPS yet, and as long as AFGE has anything to say about it (isn't it pathetic that Government employees actually have a union? It's neutered beyond any strength and the Government bargains with them just because they choose to do so, but it's a union nonetheless), I won't see NSPS until I become [the equivalent of] a GS-13.

Basically, how mine worked:

Hired as a GS-05 (year 1 of conditional employment/intern)
    Became a GS-07 1 year later (year 2 of conditional employment/intern)
    Became a GS-09 1 year later (permanent employee, but still in intern status)
    Became a GS-11 1 year later (permanent employee, reached target grade)
    Became a GS-12 1 year later (slot in that pay grade was open, supervisor asked if I wanted it, took it).

Typical of how the GS system works. If you come in as a GS-07 (which a lot of employees do), scratch the info for GS-05 except the parenthesis, scratch the GS-09 parenthesis, and bump the GS-05 and GS-07 parenthesis down to fill in the gaps.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Prospect
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Another Federal job question.

can someone explain how a federal employee raises work.
    Do they get a cost of living raise plus an annual review like the state? Is there ever bonuses handed out? Can anyone give any advice or recommendations about working for the federal goverment? Thanks!
    Cost of living has happened every year for my pay local. Usually around 3%.

Step increases for me happen every 3 years assuming I'm doing my job. We currently use PARS as our performance review system.
    A quality step increase (QSI) used to be fairly easy to get, however there is now a limit (quota) on how many are given out per division.

For bonuses we generally get on the spot awards (either money or time off) or "s" awards. Money amounts can vary widely. All depends on the budget set aside for those.

We also benefit from Maxiflex. It's basically make you own schedule as long as you work 40 hours a week. For me, in a two week period, I work eight 9 hours days, two of which are from home, and 1 eight hour day. You also earn credit for extra hours worked in a pay period.

All in all not a bad gig. A lot depends on the supervisor. So far I've been lucky.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Thanks guys! This has helped a bunch. My current job has only room for 4% increases (if you are a rock star) with no bonuses.

We get a turkey for a bonus - No kidding

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    We get a turkey for a bonus - No kidding
    At least it's better than the membership to the Jelly of the Month club.

(yes, it IS the gift that keeps on giving...)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My company does contract work for the feds. We just moved to a system very similar to what Kendall has described.

My group all got 3s on the initial review. We are in Austin and were reviewed by a manager in Virginia that had never met any of us.

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!