Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 343,843, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,846
    Points
    343,843
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    McDermott and Tubby

    Mac and Tubby Smith are keynote speakers at a basketball clinic Saturday at Jake Sullivan's old high school. Mac is speaking about zone and offensive sets.

    Nice to see that he's held in high enough regard to do things like this!



  2. #2
    Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    581
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Great news for Coach Mac. I saw on a ticker yesterday that Tubby's nephew was fatally stabbed over the weekend. Only 19 years old.


    Wesley Staten (2012 - verbal commit)

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 93,971, Level: 95
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    93,971
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Mac and Tubby Smith are keynote speakers at a basketball clinic Saturday at Jake Sullivan's old high school. Mac is speaking about zone and offensive sets.

    Nice to see that he's held in high enough regard to do things like this!
    That's interesting...



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 274,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,511
    Points
    274,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    That's interesting...
    I'm guessing that is a zone offensive sets.....



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 343,843, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,846
    Points
    343,843
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    I'm guessing that is a zone offensive sets.....
    That's my guess, too, but it was worded ambiguously in my paper.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 93,971, Level: 95
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,079
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    kg-cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,116
    Points
    93,971
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    I'm guessing that is a zone offensive sets.....
    That's what I was thinking...Mac has gone to a zone before, but he is very stubborn to do so.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Hopefully, McDermott will have his notepad out and be taking notes furiously as Tubby speaks. Maybe he can even try to get some pointers from Tubby before and after the event.

    Tubby is a great coach. He has been a head coach for 17 years and has never had a losing season. 4 years at Tulsa: 2 NCAA tourneys (both Sweet 16s). 2 years at UGa: 2 NCAA tourneys (one Sweet 16). 10 years at UK: 10 NCAA tourneys (one Championship, 3 Elite 8s, 2 Sweet 16s). And 1 year at Minnesota: took a team that finished 8-22 the prior year and went 20-13 (I doubt they are debating whether Tubby's second year at Minnesota should really be considered his first year).



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 343,843, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,846
    Points
    343,843
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Hopefully, McDermott will have his notepad out and be taking notes furiously as Tubby speaks. Maybe he can even try to get some pointers from Tubby before and after the event.

    Tubby is a great coach. He has been a head coach for 17 years and has never had a losing season. 4 years at Tulsa: 2 NCAA tourneys (both Sweet 16s). 2 years at UGa: 2 NCAA tourneys (one Sweet 16). 10 years at UK: 10 NCAA tourneys (one Championship, 3 Elite 8s, 2 Sweet 16s). And 1 year at Minnesota: took a team that finished 8-22 the prior year and went 20-13 (I doubt they are debating whether Tubby's second year at Minnesota should really be considered his first year).
    Like a moth to the flame...

    Do you have a special "bat sense" that alerts you to whenever someone says something good about Mac, so you can come and backhandedly counter it??



  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 14,975, Level: 37
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ce1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    954
    Points
    14,975
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Mac and Tubby Smith are keynote speakers at a basketball clinic Saturday at Jake Sullivan's old high school. Mac is speaking about zone and offensive sets.

    Nice to see that he's held in high enough regard to do things like this!
    McDermott and Woodbury (MN) Tartan High School coach Mark Klingsporn (Jake's school) are pretty close friends. I've sat next to Mark twice, at both of the last two Minnesota v ISU games (at the Barn and at Hilton), and talked to him at length at the Minneapolis game. Both times next to the ISU bench, so he's got the ticket connection thing down.

    He's a great guy, and pretty knowledgable, and i believe he said that he had come down to ISU a couple of times and helped Mac out with coaching and evaluation. He knew a lot about the ISU program, from an insider's perspective. All in all, he's pretty tight with McD and the ISU program.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 333,325, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,631
    Points
    333,325
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Hopefully, McDermott will have his notepad out and be taking notes furiously as Tubby speaks. Maybe he can even try to get some pointers from Tubby before and after the event.
    It's a well known fact that G-Mac is unable to read, or write. So, unfortunately, no - he won't be taking notes.

    He also can't tie his shoes or wipe his own ***.

    So pretty much, we're doomed.





  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 343,843, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,846
    Points
    343,843
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    McDermott and Woodbury (MN) Tartan High School coach Mark Klingsporn (Jake's school) are pretty close friends. I've sat next to Mark twice, at both of the last two Minnesota v ISU games (at the Barn and at Hilton), and talked to him at length at the Minneapolis game. Both times next to the ISU bench, so he's got the ticket connection thing down.

    He's a great guy, and pretty knowledgable, and i believe he said that he had come down to ISU a couple of times and helped Mac out with coaching and evaluation. He knew a lot about the ISU program, from an insider's perspective. All in all, he's pretty tight with McD and the ISU program.
    Ah, that explains the connection. Not to nitpick, but Tartan is in Oakdale, not Woodbury.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 14,975, Level: 37
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    ce1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    954
    Points
    14,975
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Ah, that explains the connection. Not to nitpick, but Tartan is in Oakdale, not Woodbury.
    Yep, you're right. Those Eastern suburbs, they all run together for a Minneapolis-city-boy like me



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 343,843, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,846
    Points
    343,843
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    Yep, you're right. Those Eastern suburbs, they all run together for a Minneapolis-city-boy like me
    We're like the country mouse and city mouse, then. I so rarely cross the river into Minneapolis!



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 112,083, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,677
    Points
    112,083
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Hopefully, McDermott will have his notepad out and be taking notes furiously as Tubby speaks. Maybe he can even try to get some pointers from Tubby before and after the event.

    Tubby is a great coach. He has been a head coach for 17 years and has never had a losing season. 4 years at Tulsa: 2 NCAA tourneys (both Sweet 16s). 2 years at UGa: 2 NCAA tourneys (one Sweet 16). 10 years at UK: 10 NCAA tourneys (one Championship, 3 Elite 8s, 2 Sweet 16s). And 1 year at Minnesota: took a team that finished 8-22 the prior year and went 20-13 (I doubt they are debating whether Tubby's second year at Minnesota should really be considered his first year).
    No need to take notes from Tubby - nice guy, but he won the national title in his first year with Pitino's players, and gradually took the Kentucky program down to where they lost in the second round of the NCAA's his last two years, until finally being forced out. Couldn't recruit the talent that Kentucky needed, and was accustomed to. Lots and lots of coaches could have had Tubby's career record at Kentucky - including GMac. He couldn't keep it going, however.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 165,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,013
    Points
    165,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 350

    Re: McDermott and Tubby

    Speaking of Mac, anyone see him tailgating in Vegas? The man carrying around tall boys and having a good time! He's enormous!


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM