Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

Slot Music

Just saw this today and I think it seems like a good idea to try and keep some sales in the stores. I get most my music off the internet now but I could see buying some on cards.

slotMusic : Home

"It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 22

Re: Slot Music

as long as it is DR. M free I will give it a try.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah they said it would be DRM free and they would put the album and extras on a 1GB card so you could use the rest as you please. At least the industry is finally getting creative and trying to embrace the new medium.

John Steinbeck

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am also glad they are trying something new but I still prefer Amazon for my download service.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

I don't see what the point is, honestly. They are forcing you to buy a whole album as opposed to just individual songs. I dont' see this going anywhere, but who knows. It's certainly got a better chance than minidisc or DVD-Audio

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Its just the music industry can't get their head around the idea of selling digit media. I think they feel they have to sell a physical item. So once the finally do get to digital or online media, we will most likely move on to something else but who knows what that is.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Its just the music industry can't get their head around the idea of selling digit media. I think they feel they have to sell a physical item. So once the finally do get to digital or online media, we will most likely move on to something else but who knows what that is.
    I don't think they have any problem selling digital media. They have a problem getting out of the "album" mentality, though.

They can't just package up their 10 garbage songs and 2 good ones and sell them for 18 bucks anymore. People are buying the two good ones for a dollar a piece.

This is just an attempt to sell albums again as opposed to tracks.

In a lot of ways, music has come full circle. Back in the original days of the phonograph, you'd get one or two songs when you bought a record. It wasn't until advances in technology that they could put more music on a record, and the concept of the album was born. It was more physically convenient to put a collection of songs on one album and sell it as opposed to selling individual tracks. We've come to the point where physical media no longer matters, and it's more convenient (and efficient) to buy individual songs again. The record companies just can't stand seeing their album revenue streams removed.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I don't think they have any problem selling digital media. They have a problem getting out of the "album" mentality, though.

They can't just package up their 10 garbage songs and 2 good ones and sell them for 18 bucks anymore. People are buying the two good ones for a dollar a piece.

This is just an attempt to sell albums again as opposed to tracks.

In a lot of ways, music has come full circle. Back in the original days of the phonograph, you'd get one or two songs when you bought a record. It wasn't until advances in technology that they could put more music on a record, and the concept of the album was born. It was more physically convenient to put a collection of songs on one album and sell it as opposed to selling individual tracks. We've come to the point where physical media no longer matters, and it's more convenient (and efficient) to buy individual songs again. The record companies just can't stand seeing their album revenue streams removed.
    Exactly, though there have been many times when I bought an album and ended up finding songs that I really liked that I would not have heard otherwise. I also think there is a big push from the retailers on ideas like this as well. They have to be taking a hit from electronic content as well. I wonder if a kiosk or station at a retailer that would allow you to insert a 2GB card or such and pick the songs to put on it would ever work. I realize for those of us with computers it would seem kind of silly but for those that are without it might work so they could load their phone, music player, car radio, etc... a little easier.

John Steinbeck

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JHudd View Post
    Exactly, though there have been many times when I bought an album and ended up finding songs that I really liked that I would not have heard otherwise. I also think there is a big push from the retailers on ideas like this as well. They have to be taking a hit from electronic content as well. I wonder if a kiosk or station at a retailer that would allow you to insert a 2GB card or such and pick the songs to put on it would ever work. I realize for those of us with computers it would seem kind of silly but for those that are without it might work so they could load their phone, music player, car radio, etc... a little easier.
    I think that ultimately we will go to a subscription-based music service with wifi-enabled media players where the whole experience is integrated into the player and there is no more PC required to manage what you want to do with your device.

Everything else will just be a stopgap to get to that point.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the i phone isnt far from what you are saying jumbo. Now you can go onto the itunes store and download music without a computer. In like 1-2 years almost big screen digital player will be doing with with some form of media provider.

Hooray for Metaphors!

Pro Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The thing with albums for me is I don't like buying albums for flash in the pan artist who have one hit song and then are gone.

But when George Straights records come out I will buy each and everyone of them for as long as he produces them, same with Aerosmith. I have faith that there are going to be other songs on the record that I will enjoy just as much as the first single.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's