Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

2-2 start - Content or disappointed?

I just posted in this inside another thread, but wanted to get some good feedback/discussion regarding the fan perspective of our 2-2 start.

My opinion...

There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be 4-0 right now.

6 trips inside the 30 against Iowa - 3 points. Outside of a punt return and one drive - we dominated the 2nd half of that game and couldn't score the ball.

UNLV - no explanation necessary.

Before the season I felt we should start 4-0 and I stand by that - we should be 4-0. Our two losses were to teams that are not any better than us. Much like a few passes Saturday night, our team "dropped the ball" the last couple weeks.

Disappointed in our start to the season, yet still very excited for the future.

There is a trend forming here though, under Chizik. Look bad/ugly/average in the first half and then play well (or at least much better) in the 2nd. It's good we get better as the game wears on - but need to step up in them first two quarters.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 20

Re: 2-2 start - Content or disappointed?

Disappointed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I agree, disappointed, but enthusiastic about the future. I just think Chizik needs to give his halftime speech before the opening kickoff.

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

I am disappointed. I am also encouraged.

I agree that we should be 4-0, which leaves me disappointed. I'm also encouraged that we have yet to be physically outmatched in any of these games. We'll see what happens when the Big 12 season starts. Right now, I don't see any game that we can't win. I also don't see any game that we can't lose if we don't get better.

Definitely not content. I don't know that you should be content even at 4-0.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

We are 3 quarters (1 from Iowa and 2 from UNLV) from 4-0.

It may be a bye week for the team but I have a feeling that practice will not be fun.

I am ****** that we are 2-2. Especially after Wanstadt beat Iowa. That guy takes great teams and makes them into average teams.

"where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

I predicted 3-1 coming out of non-conference, so I'd say I'm slightly disappointed with my expectations. I definitely thought 4-0 was possible, but not a sure thing at all.

My biggest frustration with this team so far has been the inconsistency. They have had moments of brilliance, and moments of total boneheadedness. I'm not too concerned, as they are a young team, and I think they will get more consistent as the year goes on and into next year.

Overall I'm quite happy, even though I'm disappointed at 2-2...but only because we were so close to 4-0.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Actually, I thought we'd be 2-2 at this point. Maybe 3-1. With the wins coming as they have, perhaps beating UNLV

I guess the good news is that we're a better team than I thought we would be. The talent is considerably better, perhaps I should say more "able". I knew we would be young, but that hasn't been as much of an issue because there is more skill in that youth.

We are killing ourselves. We certainly did against iowa, with our redzone efficiency - as you mentioned. Only saw the first 25 minutes of UNLV - so I can't comment much on that. But the first half was what we all know it to be. UNLV isn't a bad team, but we helped them plenty.

Last year we saw dramatic improvement in the team as the season progressed. I think we will this season as well. Perhaps not as much - we had experience learning a new system last year. This year it's more just learning.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

It's no surprise we've looked our worst (and lost) on the road - but it's time these things get corrected to. Plus, we were not playing against world-beater teams on the road the last 2 weeks.

It's frustrating, because we really should be 4-0 right now - looking at a very good shot to earn a bowl appearance in Chizik's 2nd year. Would be an amazing accomplishment not only for the team, but for $ and ticket sales next year.

Getting 4 more wins is going to be very tough. And, if we're going to accomplish that - we're going to need to conquer those road woes.

This season is far from over and we're not out of it yet - but right now - I do feel as if we've virtually squandered away a chance to play in December and bring in some much needed dollars/excitement for the program.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 92

Disappointed, to be sure, but we still have 8 games left this season. Plenty more than can still happen. Some people are already saying our loss to UNLV automatically precludes us from the postseason. Anything can happen. As Sarah Connor says, "No fate but what we make for ourselves."

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 95

Would have said 3-1 to start the season, and now think 4-0 was within our grasp. I think it's inexperiance across the board from coaching on down, but the fact that the staff is making 2nd half adjustments and seeing some results is encouraging. Execution seems to be lacking, but that should come with experiance. I am confident still this team will grow thru the season and have at least one upset against a team they have no business beating, as well as have another game (Baylor?) that has the board ready to eat a Hardee's fish sandwhich.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Disappointed but not shocked. Prior to the season I had us pegged for 3-1 at this point in the year, so they are one step of pace from what I thought. However I do think that one step will be the difference between us and a bowl game this year.

I also had us at 4-2 after the Baylor game. If that happens now I might have to change my shorts.....

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

Both. We could and should have a better record than we do. But we're light years better than last year with infinitely more upside.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Dissapointed. I don't think Iowa or UNLV are better teams than us, although they probably deserved to win. I think that it was more us failing to execute, us giving the game away, and those teams executing when they needed to.

I was hoping we'd be 3-1 at this point, because I figured we'd either lose one of Iowa and UNLV. I predicted 4 wins before the season started, changed to 5 after Kent State.

I am excited about the future though too. When looking at the schedule, I only see 1 win, but I am hoping we are able to improve enough that we pull off a win or two that no one really expected.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    . . . There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be 4-0 right now.

6 trips inside the 30 against Iowa - 3 points. Outside of a punt return and one drive - we dominated the 2nd half of that game and couldn't score the ball. UNLV - no explanation necessary.

. . . Our two losses were to teams that are not any better than us. . . . Disappointed in our start to the season, yet still very excited for the future.
    From my vantage point, I'm disappointed but not surprised. Green and experienced players equals inconsistent play. Our players have the athleticism and ability to be 4-0, not the seasoning to be 4-0.

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    There is a trend forming here though, under Chizik. Look bad/ugly/average in the first half and then play well (or at least much better) in the 2nd. . . .
    IMHO, this is attributable to the "seasoning" problem. If this trend continues when we field an experienced team, I'll be one seriously troubled fan. Right now, I expect to see this sort of trend as part of the growing pains inherent in building a program from the foundation up with new, inexperienced players.

I hope I'm correct, otherwise the future doesn't look so bright to me.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by nj829 View Post
    I am confident still this team will grow thru the season and have at least one upset against a team they have no business beating, as well as have another game (Baylor?) that has the board ready to eat a Hardee's fish sandwhich.
    Haha, is that your version of suicide? And I agree. We'll probably see more of the latter than the former for the rest of this year, though.