Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Coaching has to get better

Plain and simple. 2 weeks in a row where I thought we really handcuffed our offense. We opened it up in the second half and things started to click. I don't know why we continue to go to an I formation when it hasn't worked all year. The play calling is so predictable when we run that formation it is a joke. Either a dive or a PA roll out but even than we only have 2 guys to throw to.

I liked the fight in our team and I think that is something the coaches are doing a very good job of. They could have quit many times in that game and they didn't. Kudos to Arnaud and the coaches for that.

Arnaud is a player. I remember watching him play basketball his senior year of high school and thinking the same thing. Some people just make plays. They have confidence and ability to make the big play when teams need it the most and he has that. I would hope the coaches start to realize that AA should be playing QB full time with Bates sprinkled in from time to time.

LJ's shot was cheap, dirty, and completely unacceptable. I love the intensity he plays with but he has to remain under control. He know has 4 personal fouls in 4 games by my count. Inexcusable. But for those who think he should get the boot....not a chance and let's stop that talk. It's not going to happen and it shouldn't happen. He just needs to learn how to play within himself. I wouldn't mind seeing Chizik suspend him a game after the Kansas game

Our LB's stunk from my view. They got caught cheating inside on play after play and never adjusted. Allen Bell made a terrible play on the ball to end the game, as did Smith. There were a couple catches that our WR's should have made and the one that Hunley dropped for an INT killed us early on. Also, hopefully Bass plays more b/c I think there is no doubt he is our fastest back and looked pretty good. He also blocked well

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 960
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 57

Re: Coaching has to get better

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Our LB's got caught cheating inside on play after play and never adjusted.
    Key to the game right there. They'd get sucked inside where a player was already filling the gap, and couldn't bounce back out to close down the corner. Over and over. If that gets fixed and the players hold their assignments, this D will get better in a hurry.

Despite all the things that transpired during this game, that's what I found the most shocking and disappointing.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,610
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I agree with you on needed coaching improvements. Both offense and defense are inconsistant. As for LJ, I believe everyone is being waaaay to tough on this kid. His PF last week was marginal. And the one that get him thrown out of the game was a kid trying to make up for his previous mistake. In my view, he was hoping to create a fumble on that hit. He has shown more energy and enthusiam than anyone on the defense. Let's correct things, not throw him under the bus.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Deep breath people...this is still a very young team. And everyone looked like they were pressing in the first half.

LJ is 18 yr old kid..this will teach him a lesson, plus this one will put a label on him.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,370
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 15

I don't think that it would have mattered what plays were being called in the first half. We were being dominated in all phases.
    It is hard to open up the playbook when every posession is a 3 and out.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I would have liked to see Chizik go for the juggular at the end of the game and go for 2 to win, we had no chance in OT. Great time for it if you ask me. Oh well, that is why I am not a coach.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 281

Let me put this simply, so that I make myself clear.

Horse Hockey.

If the team hadn't come out flat, had played with the intensity they showed in the second half, it would have been something on the lines of a ISU 42 UNLV 17 score. That's what the coaching that you're moaning about did. Simple enough to calculate, just take the points in the second half, and double 'em. And that doesn't even count the touchdown with 1:34 left.

So stop nitpicking. This is an extremely young, inexperienced team. amazingly, young and inexperienced teams come out flat sometimes. It's part of the learning process. They will get better--indeed, they already have. Stop nitpicking on the coaches, the players, anything else that you wanna whine about. Stop it. You're wrong. Face the facts, and get it over with.

If you want, take what you can, and learn from it. First game on the road, not in a huge rivalry game to get the emotions pumped? Done. Gone. Over with. In the past. They'll learn from their mistakes. That's what's called "maturity". One thing that "young and experienced" teams have to acquire the hard way.

Now then. It's time to look forward to Kansas. Not just dwelling in the past, ripping our own guts out nagging at an imaginary flea. GO CYCLONES!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 239

He needed to go for two on the road. Giving up 450 yards on defense made that imperative. We were very lucky to complete that last TD pass, so I say go for two. Usually the team that winms the coin flip, wins the overtime according to stats. That is more chancy than going for two im my book. The opposing defense was a little gassed. Oh well, just a loss.

Everytinme we are predictable the offense stagnates. The two trick plays did help to right the ship. Let's be more like Boise State than the KC Chiefs in our playcalling.

JJ Bass showed some new moves last night. Good for you.

Statwise, we are not beating the other team in total yards offensively....

All games forward, we will continue to be the underdog...unless we go to the next tier of play.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    I agree with you on needed coaching improvements. Both offense and defense are inconsistant. As for LJ, I believe everyone is being waaaay to tough on this kid. His PF last week was marginal. And the one that get him thrown out of the game was a kid trying to make up for his previous mistake. In my view, he was hoping to create a fumble on that hit. He has shown more energy and enthusiam than anyone on the defense. Let's correct things, not throw him under the bus.
    Uhh.. the QB was 5 yards deep in the end zone and had already dropped the ball. It was a cheap shot, plain and simple.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I don't think that it would have mattered what plays were being called in the first half. We were being dominated in all phases.
    It is hard to open up the playbook when every posession is a 3 and out.
    Is there not a reason we went 3 and out? No doubt that our execution was poor, but we went to the I formation every time and got shut down. QB's aren't going to be successful when you only give them one WR to throw to.

I love our coaches, but I think that we were very unprepared for this game and that concerns me. We used TO's in spots where we shouldn't, again.

I am not jumping of a cliff or giving up on this team. We are young and will get better, I am just disappointed in the staff for some of the decisions they have made.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    He needed to go for two on the road. .
    Just gotta love that twenty-twenty hindsight.

We had tons of momentum, we'd been manhandling UNLV, it's really, really, really hard to second guess the choice.

When the game got close in the fourth quarter, I thought about going to the computer to start a thread on "If we score again, should we go for two, or kick the extra point?" However, the game was too interesting, and I was too tired to move. It would have been some interesting results--and people could be held accountable should they switch their tune afterwards.

Damn.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Just gotta love that twenty-twenty hindsight.

We had tons of momentum, we'd been manhandling UNLV, it's really, really, really hard to second guess the choice.

When the game got close in the fourth quarter, I thought about going to the computer to start a thread on "If we score again, should we go for two, or kick the extra point?" However, the game was too interesting, and I was too tired to move. It would have been some interesting results--and people could be held accountable should they switch their tune afterwards.

Damn.
    Sorry. At the time of the tieing TD last night, I wanted to go for two on the road. It was no hindsight at all. I stick to my comment. UNLV had been restricting their offense in the fourth so our defense looked better than it might have.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-21-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 40

I said we should go for 2 before UNLV punted it back to us, should we happen to score by some miracle. During the drive my friend and I both said that if we scored, we should go for 2 to end it. When Sumrall squeezed in for the TD, every Cyclone fan in the bar I was at was screaming, "go for 2!"

It's like we all knew what would happen if we went to OT.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Sorry. At the time of the tying TD last night, I wanted to go for two on the road. It was no hindsight at all. I stick to my comment. UNLV had been restricting their offense in the fourth so our defense looked better than it might have.
    I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately, i'm reasonably sure that ninety percent of the folks out there whining about going for two hadn't even bothered to consider the issue.

And when I said "momentum", I was talking about our offense. And who'd a thunk that the kid who caught the game winning TD against ASU would do it again the very next week?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yep, we held the cards and gave them away. Make the two and game over, with so little time left.