Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,521
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 81

Thoughts on improvements over last years team and or set backs?

Whats your take on this team so far compared to 2007?
    I guess i could go all stat crazy, but just some gut feelings on this team. Maybe its too early to make this comparison since conference play hasn't heated up yet

Positives
    -This team manages to sustain drives much better, and controls the clock better. Honestly I have more confidence in them moving the ball than the 07 squad.
    -The offense looks much more sharp/crisp. Not to say they don't have their share of issues, but its a better oiled machine even with young kids at the helm.
    -The defense really ball hawks and is more aggressive. This unit will be harder to throw on.
    -Playcalling. last year I saw countless times where Myer threw to Blythe or Hamilton quickly out in the flat for 2 yards and the WR didnt break free or the other WR didnt block. Really havent seen much of that futility this year. WRs are getting out in space and this offense is way more vertical.
    Negatives
    -The Defense is worse than last year in stuffing the run and over pursuing.
    -Lacking experience will probably lead to a couple frustrating late game losses down the stretch. I feel a Myer/Blythe combo woulda had a bit more success @ Iowa last week in the red zone.

Undecided
    -Special teams play. ISU seemingly has been getting better field position on kick returns and doesn't constantly get gouged by the opposition returning kicks to the 35 all day. Brandtner has been punting well, but punt coverage still has me nervous.

Last edited by Omaha Cy; 09-21-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added playcalling.
    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

Re: Thoughts on improvements over last years team and or set backs?

Special teams are definitely improved.

Disagree on the Meyer/Blythe comment as well.

Otherwise I agree with the rest.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 123

Arnaud is so far ahead of Meyer as a competitor and an athlete right now, imo. Case in point: Arnaud's first TD run. He looked like a fullback just putting his head down, running people over, and willing his way into the endzone. He really carried that offense, something Meyer never really did.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

I would have to agree with others that Meyer has already been passed. He was very one dimensional, didn't check his receivers and only went down hill after his sophomore season. I don't want to knock him because he represented us well as a person, but he was incredibly over-rated the past two years.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

last year we had 3 losses to uni, kent state and toledo-only one of which we should have won.

this year we have 2 losses, to iowa and an upstart unlv team, both of which i truly think we should have won.

last night was an excruciatingly tough loss. the road loss streak should have come to an end, and we came in unprepared. this is a very young team that i think still doesn't know how to win games.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

A Better Team

This is a better team. The inconsistency of play is the biggest concern to me.

I do think that if Chizek is going to get ISU to become a 6-8 win team our o-line & defensive front 7 need to play a ton better.

I think the o-line can get there with guys that are already on the team. Not sure if we have the guys in the program to become a solid defensive unit. Seems to me our d-line just goes with the flow of the offensive play call. I'd like to see a d-line that is physical enough that can blow-up the line of scrimmage.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Idk meyer was always getting worse.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

If the process of developing AA into the best QB he can be is to continue he needs to be the #1 QB. I think the splitting or sharing of QB snaps in game should be over. AA is the better passer and Bates needs to fall into a role similar to Percy Harvin from Fla. where the offense designs plays to get him the ball in space.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

need a few playmakers on defense, otherwise everything looks much improved to me.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I would have to agree with others that Meyer has already been passed. He was very one dimensional, didn't check his receivers and only went down hill after his sophomore season. I don't want to knock him because he represented us well as a person, but he was incredibly over-rated the past two years.
    Actually, AA reminds me alot of BM his sophomore season. I know it was awhile ago but he was a gamer that year. Agree that Austen will hopefully keep rising and not plateau as Meyer did.

Also, while the offense looked good in the 2nd half - overall they are not consistent enough. 3rd down conversions and red zone offense still concern me. especially 3rd downs.

One thing I noticed in the 1st 2 games was that we rarely had a 3rd and long. It was usually 3rd and short or we got first downs before we even got to 3rd down. Since Iowa their have been far too many 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, etc. That is something that last year's offense faced alot. It has me concerned a great deal.

My prediction is J.J. Bass (with A-Rob mixed in) will be the remedy.

Side note: I really wish McFarland would have ran the ball with Bass in OT. That front 7 for UNLV was tired and our OL was owning them in the 2nd. The fade to Darks I just don't get -(where was Sed all night?) Oh well, we were lucky to even be in that spot.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,544
    Given: 733

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    Actually, AA reminds me alot of BM his sophomore season. I know it was awhile ago but he was a gamer that year. Agree that Austen will hopefully keep rising and not plateau as Meyer did.

I agree- I still think Bret fed off of Blythe, and I don't think Todd was ever quite the same after the injury.

Also, while the offense looked good in the 2nd half - overall they are not consistent enough. 3rd down conversions and red zone offense still concern me. especially 3rd downs.

One thing I noticed in the 1st 2 games was that we rarely had a 3rd and long. It was usually 3rd and short or we got first downs before we even got to 3rd down. Since Iowa their have been far too many 3rd and 10, 3rd and 8, etc. That is something that last year's offense faced alot. It has me concerned a great deal.

My prediction is J.J. Bass (with A-Rob mixed in) will be the remedy.

This is a great 1/2 punch that will help us down the road. JJ ran hard last night!

Side note: I really wish McFarland would have ran the ball with Bass in OT. That front 7 for UNLV was tired and our OL was owning them in the 2nd. The fade to Darks I just don't get -(where was Sed all night?) Oh well, we were lucky to even be in that spot.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,521
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 81

Looking at the drive charts from last night...TD drives of 94, 80, 10, and 98.

07 offense doesnt do that. i think playcalling realy handcuffed Myer/Blythe. all those quick short passes out in the flat and plays that required another WR to block. The playbook has been opened a ton. I think that also has a lot to do with many more 3rd and short situations.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 723

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsfan27 View Post
    Idk meyer was always getting sacked.
    There. Fixed that for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Negatives
    -The Defense is worse than last year in stuffing the run and over pursuing.
    That's "over last year". However, in case you hadn't noticed, there's been a week-to-week improvement. Sure, Summers gained a hundred yards, but he only averaged 4.0 ypc. Clayton is a speedy, elusive quarterback, and he only averaged 3.4 ypc. Both of these on UNLV's home field. That improvement will continue.

-Lacking experience will probably lead to a couple frustrating late game losses down the stretch. I feel a Myer/Blythe combo woulda had a bit more success @ Iowa last week in the red zone.
    Conversely, that same youth will probably offer one exciting, thrilling win (likely at home) that they shouldn't have had. It works both ways.
    Undecided
    -Special teams play. ISU seemingly has been getting better field position on kick returns and doesn't constantly get gouged by the opposition returning kicks to the 35 all day. Brandtner has been punting well, but punt coverage still has me nervous.
    Nervous? Because of one play, and that by a very good punt returner? UNLV had one punt return--for -1 yard. Kent 1 return for -2 yards. Until I see differently, I'll happily regard Brodell's performance as the fluke, rather than the norm. Especially given how well the kickoff return units have been doing.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    The fade to Darks I just don't get -(where was Sed all night?) Oh well, we were lucky to even be in that spot.
    I agree. I thought the playcalling in the 2nd half last night was great right up until the first play of overtime. When was the last time the fade pass in the corner of the endzone worked for ISU? Arnaud could throw the ball into the ground and we will have the same amount of success we've had with that play. And to call it at such a crucial time for the 2nd game in a row makes me very and .

About Sed, we really need a receiver to emerge this year. Sumrall is carrying us right now, and he will be gone next year. If no one steps up to take his place, things won't be looking so good for next year. I think Sed's problem right now may be a lack of strength. He just looks too skinny out there, and it may be affecting his ability to adjust to the ball. Hopefully he'll get into the weight room during the offseason... something that Blythe never seemed to do enough of IMO.

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 723

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    ... something that Blythe never seemed to do enough of IMO.
    Blythe, 6-5 205, who reported as a true freshman at something like 6-4 180?