Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

View Point of Older Fans

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard the feed back that I have this week. I had 2 different encounters with with older ISU fans. I'm guessing all these fans are probably in their 70's or so.

Tuesday night. A friend and I were at the Chicken Coop. We sat down next to this guy and his wife. He noticed my new ISU polo and asked me if I was a fan. He then went on to rip the new ISU colors and logo.

He was a season ticket holder at ISU for 26 years. He recently gave them up either this year or last. He mentioned how he hated the new luxury suites, and how they forced people to move out of seats they have had for year. He also believed that the stadium didn't need the upgrades that it recieved and we are spending unnecessary money for athletics. He also hopes and prays that ISU fires Pollard as soon as possible.

Luckily his wife had common sense about things. She realized the new luxury suites would create money and how that will help out sports.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for the old man. He was way to stuck in the past. And I can understand how people hate change. He also tried to talk to me about the game against Iowa this weekend and about the terrible playcalling. Which I couldn't argue about.

Today

I went to SW Iowa to deliever some paper work to a client of mine. He is a farmer and a big time ISU fan. We started talking ISU sports and football more importantly. He loved the new colors of uniforms and everything. He hated the new log, but he didn't like the previous one either. He loved the new stadium updates and hopes for it to be completed on the other side soon. Although he didn't care much for JP either.

His wife was a different story. She didn't care for the updates the new logo or colors. She then started to rip Gene Chizik. How terrible of a coach he is and that Dan never should of been fired. She said Dan was the best coach ever at ISU.

Now seriously is that how old people see things at ISU.

Dan McCarney = greatest coach
    Jamie Pollard = Devil and needs to be fired
    New Color and logo = crap
    New updates at stadium = unnecessary
    Gene Chizik = in over his head

I notice the younger fans are all on board with all the new changes. It seems we have ruined the lives of all the older fans and that they don't want us to grow or try to be competitive.

Does anyone else notice this??

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: View Point of Older Fans

To be fair, it sounds like the old people are split from your story. 1/2 on board, 1/2 think their lives are over (which they may be pretty soon)

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Call me what you will, but I honestly think they have cattered(sp?) to the older market for too long. I think its time this program takes a new shape and reaches out to a new generation. Shake things up and get some attention from a younger market. And as mean as this sounds, but the fans in their 70's arent gonna be around forever, and if we worry more about them then the younger fans, its possible Cyclones could fade with their generation.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    To be fair, it sounds like the old people are split from your story. 1/2 on board, 1/2 think their lives are over (which they may be pretty soon)

Well... It seems that they were split 50/50 from how I wrote that, but it seems both couples hate us trying to better ourselves. Even stadium improvements were uncalled for.

It actually was really sad hearing them bad mouth the current situation for ISU

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    She said Dan was the best coach ever at ISU.
    Like it or not, she is right about this.

Dan accomplished more at ISU (winning seasons, beating Iowa & Nebraska, bowl games, and bowl wins) than all of the other coaches in ISU's history combined.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I notice the younger fans are all on board with all the new changes. It seems we have ruined the lives of all the older fans and that they don't want us to grow or try to be competitive.

Does anyone else notice this??
    How do you know ALL younger fans are on board ?

You take run-ins with a huge number of couples - aka 2 couples - wearing ISU gear and you can jump to these conclusions ?

I can guarantee you that I can find young fans that aren't overly happy and I can find you older fans that are very happy with ISU.

I can speak about one situation that makes some fans a little upset. A member of my family gave a rather large sum of money to the fundraising to help build Jack Trice. He was told that he could have his seats for life (in what is now a $500 donor section). Apparently 'life' has a new meaning in this day and age...

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

WOW, that was a terrible post, I can't believe I'm responding to it, but oh well.

I Love Mac, but I'm very glad for the coaching change. I think Chizik is the Man. Good Luck Cyclones, they need a win this weekend.

I LOVE Jamie Pollard, ISU finally has someone who promotes Cyclone Athletics. I truely believe that if you are not a Jamie Pollard fan, you are not an Iowa State Fan. ISU fans must realize that it costs $$$ to run a D1 College Athletic Program.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post

Dan accomplished more at ISU (winning seasons, beating Iowa & Nebraska, bowl games, and bowl wins) than all of the other coaches in ISU's history combined.
    Earle Bruce ring a bell????? I have a hard time believing that Dan is a better coach then him.

Plus, where is Dan coaching these days???

Head coaching???

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post

I have held tickets in my own name since late 70's, attended ISU games since 1956, yes I was around when dirt was created.....I'm an alum, a National Cyclone club member, Gridiron club member, and hold multiple season Men's and women's BB tickets

I think the new logo is great, but stop screwing around with Cardinal and Gold colors. JP will be very good for ISU as will Chizik, given the time to get his recruited people in place. The upgrades for Jack Trice are great, even if I don't get to use any of the suites, just the more spacious walkways.

I am more focused with building the program and to keep going forward....McCarney was good for ISU, but stalled out, Everybody gets replaced in life sooner or later...Chizik is the coach to follow now.

Last edited by majorcyfan; 09-18-2008 at 08:12 PM.
    U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Prospect
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, I certainly fit your definition of an "older" fan -- I'm 62 -- so let me add to your database. By the way, I'm an alum, a National Cyclone club member and football season ticket holder.

I happen to like the new logo very much, I like the new uniforms very much and I think the upgrades to the west side of Jack Trice stadium are great and were sorely needed. I hope the east side and south end zone upgrades are also completed as quickly as possible.

As to athletic department personnel -- my only comment about Jamie is that it's too bad we didn't hire someone like him 20 years ago. I'm convinced his marketing savvy and enthusiasm will lead us to atheltic success never before seen.

Dan McCarney is a wonderful man and one of the best football coaches in ISU history. It's too bad he had to leave, but a change was clearly needed.

I'm excited about Gene but believe it will be at least two more years before we can make conclusive judgements.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by matmann22 View Post
    How do you know ALL younger fans are on board ?

You take run-ins with a huge number of couples - aka 2 couples - wearing ISU gear and you can jump to these conclusions ?

I can guarantee you that I can find young fans that aren't overly happy and I can find you older fans that are very happy with ISU.

I can speak about one situation that makes some fans a little upset. A member of my family gave a rather large sum of money to the fundraising to help build Jack Trice. He was told that he could have his seats for life (in what is now a $500 donor section). Apparently 'life' has a new meaning in this day and age...

Did they simple say they have to buy tickets or did they move them??? I couldn't remember exactly what they did. And since your family is involved could you please fill me in.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 91

We haven't adopted new colors. We've gone back to the correct colors.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Earle Bruce ring a bell????? I have a hard time believing that Dan is a better coach then him.

Plus, where is Dan coaching these days???

Head coaching???
    Do you realize that Earle Bruce used ISU as a stepping stone and jumped at the chance to leave the first time a bigger program came calling? While Dan turned down more than one opportunity to do the same thing in order to stay at ISU?

Bruce may have been a better college coach than McCarney, but McCarney was a better ISU coach than Bruce...or anyone else for that matter.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is what I have found about old (er) people. As people age priorities change for most, it goes like this:babies->kids->teenagers->empty nest. At this empty nest stage they have less stress or things to gripe about (kids) and replace it with something else. So basically older folks don't have a gripe about the things from yester-year (cyclone wise) b/c they were more focused on griping or envolved kids or whatever.

My parents, empty nesters near retirement...gripe about everything under the sun now that they are getting more and more free time. Things they would have cared less about 2-3 ago and everything was better 10-20 years ago...even though they probably had less $ and more stress (kids).

JMHO from a kid born in the late 70's

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Cool Re: View Point of Older Fans

I haven't talked to many old people about the colors but I've talked to them about the ISU football program in general. Most told me the same thing, "If I had a nickel for everytime over the years I've heard how ISU is "rebuilding" and "this coach will take us to a new level" yada yada" Talking to them doesn't give me much hope for the future.............

King James