Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Stop being so one sided!

Just because some of us may have not heard of Brian Kelly doesn't mean that he isn't the best man for the job. How many good coaches started out coaching DII football and than mid majors before coming into big time college football and making a name for them. When I look at his resume there is one thing that I like about it........he is a winner!! Thats all the guy does is win. Last time I checked that is what all us Iowa State fans want. To WIN! He has a spread offense that is fun to watch. Last I heard that is what fans where screaming for in the games.

Now is this the perfect guy for the job? I don't know, but neither do you. If he wins, than who cares if he is a SEXY hire. Let me tell you this, I am much more excited than I was last week when I thought we might actually hire Jay Norvell. Here is a head coach who has won everywhere he has been. There are much worse hires than this

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Stop being so one sided!

You stated my concern very well, the problem is that he is not going to unite fans and money immediately...which was, at least in part, a reason for getting a new coach. If he wins consistently...which may take a few years, the fan base will rally around him and support the team. On the other hand, with a big name hire, recruits and money flow in much quicker.

Scott L., Yokosuka, Japan

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Yea, Kelly sounds like someone else we hired recently. Where he won at every place he had been at and we seem to be happy so far this basketball season. Looks to me like Kelly would be a great hire. I hope we can get him before he goes to MSU.

Robert C Larson

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I see your point, and have thought about that. But if we hire the sexy hire and get all this money in and sell all these tickets, and then lose, than it all goes for nothing. Winning is everything. Just win baby. I think Kelly can win

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

For all of those who want a sexy hire. I have 2 words.

Steve Alford

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonein81 View Post

Steve Alford
    Oustanding example! I have been thinking the same thing. The experience of Iowa and Alford shows how short-sighted it is to go for the "sexy" hire. You have to think long-term and go with the coach that you think has the greatest potential to take the program where it should go. Bottom line: I trust Pollard to make the right decision.

GO CYCLONES!

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Everyone honestly needs to take a step back and realize that absolutely NOTHING has been done yet. Everyone is complaining like we just hired a guy that was most recently a high school coach that went 0-12. Get some perspective!

In addition, realize how silly all this negative talk makes ISU look to the outside world. For instance, we are ******** and moaning about a guy (who is just a rumor) that 2 other programs are working VERY hard to get. What does that tell you??? WE ARE NOT MIAMI, NOTRE DAME, or USC!!

Chill out and wait for the outcome before condemning Kelly, Pollard, or anyone else who is trying to make ISU a better program!

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Immediately??

I don't know if Kelly is the guy or not, but, I doubt very much if JP used the word "immediately" in his hiring criteria. Pollard is a goal setter - that involves setting realistic time frames and a plan for attainment - the general goal is top half in five years. The only things that we require "immediately" is good character and the ability to meet the goal.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Steve Alford
    I would support Harbaugh, or would have, but I concede that Jamie Pollard probably knows more about the situation than I do. What I don't like about such simple comparisons, however, is that they can be grossly unfair to the job candidate.

So Steve Alford turns out to be - Steve Alford - so that means everyone with a similar background will as well?

In an article published in the Cedar Rapids Gazette (but not online), one thing Harbaugh said: He remembers getting Jesse Owens' autograph when Owens visited Iowa City once (to Harbaugh's school, or whatever). And if I recall correctly, Owens said to Harbaugh that he was the only one to say thank you. While most likely an accurate recollection, that, to me, sounded Alfordesque. It is conceivable to me, if I am not playing this quote up too much (or that the Gazette didn't), that Harbaugh might not have had the best interview. That said, Harbaugh's teams at San Diego generally have absolutely destroyed the competition. From Hawkeye fans I know, I also know that the possibility of Harbaugh becoming Cyclone coach seemed to really wind them up. Harbaugh was also much more successful at the professional level than Alford, and to my knowledge, he was not a statewide media darling wherever it was he spent the most time growing up.

Unlike Alford, Harbaugh might be highly successful at the next level. A simple two-word analysis might one day prove to have been highly inaccurate. IMHO, unless someone has more specific to offer, it is highly unfair to attribute Steve Alford's character and coaching traits to anyone but Steve Alford.

Last edited by Clone83; 11-25-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

If he wins, no one cares what his name is. If he loses, he will get the same treatment as all of our other coaches. Who ever it is deserves a chance to stand on their own merit.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Steve Alford
    I dunno, I heard Alford looks real sexy in a black dress, 6-inch heels and a gallon of make-up.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 666
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 116

Steve Alford
    Great Quote my friend. I have a question: Who in the HAY ever heard of Johnny Majors, Earle Bruce, or Larry Eustasy before they arrived at Iowa State? I will admit...NOT ME!!

Lets just see how the coaching search plays out and then we can all rush to our computers to Voice Our Opinions!

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,425
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    Great Quote my friend. I have a question: Who in the HAY ever heard of Johnny Majors, Earle Bruce, or Larry Eustasy before they arrived at Iowa State? I will admit...NOT ME!!

Lets just see how the coaching search plays out and then we can all rush to our computers to Voice Our Opinions!
    Exactly...how many people thought Gene Smith was a genius when he hired no-names like Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

He was at a Division II school for 13 years...not a IA or I, a Divison 2 like Luther or Simpson. Let's keep this in perspective. Division II is a click above high school football and probably not as good as the high school teams in Texas.

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

a Divison 2 like Luther or Simpson.
    They are D III not 2

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.