Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 626

Are we really united?

Wow....for the last few days, I've read many posts from many people all over the spectrum of coaching. The most common things I hear are we need a guy with a good resume, good motivation, does not accept defeat, excites donors and unites the fan base. Many of the candidates for coaching meet many of these needs. Some may not cater to everyone of them. It seems that people really want the fans to unite under a coach, yet we argue to the death over certain people's resume and critically criticize JP's selection process. If we truly feel cyclone fans need to unite and since we are all cyclone fans (some of the best!) then we seriously need to be more open and accepting to what JP does. He has earned my trust and I hope he has earned yours. He's not going to leave us for the wolves....but he's building an even better foundation for the future. So no matter who ends up calling the shots for our football team, I ask that you all unite and get excited at the fact that we know JP is going to get the best guy for Iowa State in 2007.

@RandomGeoFacts

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Are we really united?

I believe that the top 20% of cyclone fans are die-hards and are better than any fans in the country!! However, I also feel as though the rest of the fans are VERY below average. I thought the one thing that we could agree on is Pollard? Yet, now it seems like the majority are calling for his head because were not getting a big name coach...probably the same people that would be calling for his head if he wouldn't of fired Mac. The guy is an AD not a magician...who did you really think we could get? I live and die cyclones and I trust Pollard...just like everyone else did last week! No matter who we get for our next coach I hope we all stand up as one and become a much stronger base than what we currently are. How do we expect Pollard to explain to a high profile candidate how only 35k were at the 2004 game VS Missouri for the Big XII North title?

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Good points Fatsow...why does it have to be a big name that we hire? Aren't wins and losses more important than being excited that you have heard of the guy we are hiring before? Tim Floyd came from the University of New Orleans out of the Sun Belt Conference (hardly a powerhouse), and Larry Eustachy came from Utah State. Floyd brought NCAA tournaments and the likes of Marcus Fizer, Kelvin Cato, Dedric Willoughby, and had a commitment from Kirk Hinrich before bolting for the Chicago Bulls, and Eustachy brought Iowa State Jamaal Tinsley, two conference titles, and an Elite Eight appearance. Neither Floyd or Eustachy were that big of names before Gene Smith hired them, but they came in and won. Dan McCarney had no head coaching experience before Iowa State and came in and brought the program to the point where we expect to win...I don't see why the new football coaching position needs to be filled by a guy with a "big name". I'd just as soon just find a person that wins.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 58

I would agree that hiring a "name" coach isn't necessarilly a top priority. The bottom line is wins and losses, but other factors come into play as well. Is he experienced enough with the connections to bring in some capable assts? No head coach does it all by himsellf. I think it's also very important to run a clean, nationally respected program, ala Dan Mac. In the end, every recruit makes up their own mind, but I think parents still have a large influence over their decisions. ISU academics sell themselves, but most parents would like the peace of mind to know their son is being well looked-after, and not simply a cog in a football machine. Charisma is a small factor, too. It can help get fans excited, and help the program get noticed. A great ESPN or other national interview can go a long way to selling the school to a 17 yr-old teetering on the fence.

I don't know if JP has his eyes to the north or not, but if he does, I think he will have ISU's best interest in mind until the day of his departure. Coach Mac's press conference gave me the me the impression that he'll make the tough call to improve our athletic dept., no matter what. It appeared to me that letting Dan go was a very hard and unpleasant thing for him, and still he did what he thought best for ISU. That said, I believe losing him would really hurt. Similar to when Gene Smith was here, I think his coaching hires will be top-notch. Thank goodness Gene hired Mac before Bruce arrived. It's hard telling where the program would be now. Part of a prospective coach's decision making process when assessing a job must deal with the AD and his total support or lack of same. With JP, I surely hope that's not an issue.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,317
    Given: 640

Right now, loyalties are divided between potential coaches, and fans should come back together quite a bit once there is an actual coach to be excited about. I was excited immediately about GMAC, but he was a coach that we had been able to see in person and on tv several times over the years. We will not have that benefit with our new coach in all likelyhood and will have to give him some time.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I am sick of all this about if the coach is Kelly or anybody else I will take my money and not be seasons tickets , will go to Iowa or any other school. The only person making the hire his JP. Lots cool all this BS and see who the coach will be. I have been a ISU fan and support for 45 years and have send 6 kids thru that school.

Rich

Rich

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 626

Very true cy61, we think its easy to call the shots, but we're not in the spotlight doing the behind the scenes work and investigating. JP has shown he has VERY high standards, am I'm 100% confident he will find a coach that meets his standard. What's the worst that came happen? We stay mediocre at best?

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think most true ISU fans will be excited about the new coach, no matter who it is, and give the new coach a chance to prove himself. We need to remember that there are a lot of people who post on forums like this just to stir things up and be as negative as possible. These fans make up a small proportion of ISU supporters, but initiate a large proportion of the discussion on the forum due to their antagonistic posts. I find the large majority of ISU fans to be among the most knowledgable and loyal.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 55

once jp picks his man, its up to the new coach to prove himself. i was not excited about gmac until about halfway through his press conference. i think the press conference, that first impression, has a big part on uniting the fan base. and im sure jp will make a hire that is a good speaker and is passionate about isu, and therefore will win us over just like gmac did.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I can tell you based on our hiring of Callahan fans will not be united behind the choice. But the dedicated true blue fans will stand behind the choice and hopefully if he ultimately is successful the rest will come around. However, even now one bad game and people want to fire Callahan I think thats the way many fans are that and many were spoiled from the Devaney-Osborne era when if we did not win a national championship or a conference title it was a bad year. JP will just have to make the choice he feels is best for ISU and let the chips fall where they may. I remember Iowa fans (son in law a season ticket holder and his family Iowa fans for decades) were ready to shoot Kirk the first couple years but when the wins came it was the greatest choice ever.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    I remember Iowa fans (son in law a season ticket holder and his family Iowa fans for decades) were ready to shoot Kirk the first couple years but when the wins came it was the greatest choice ever.
    Yeah, but those are Iowa fans. What did you expect?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Prone2Clone View Post
    Yeah, but those are Iowa fans. What did you expect?
    Honestly, some of us aren't sounding much better recently...

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,016
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 3

The whole 'fans united' thing is what got us in trouble the first time. Remember Pollard -- "The last couple weeks have been like a circus"??? Fans will never be fully united. Even in Mac's great years there were detesters to his play calling, etc. I hope JP understands this.

In any case, I've been vocal about my lack of desire to have Kelly as the new coach. That doesn't mean that I won't be anticipating next season for the rest of the year if he is hired. I'll still have season tickets and be at all the game thinking we'll go 10-2 or some other ridiculous record.

However, blind faith of Jamie Pollard is unhealthy. Ultimately, fans will decide his future just as we apparently did with Mac. I've said in other threads that just because GMac gave Pollard a call at the last minute (why didn't Pollard call him) and Pollard promoting Cael to head coach, does not at all show me that we should be giving him blind faith. Whatever coach is hired, I will hear what they have to say and wait and see.

Fans can have an opinion.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 55

jamie pollard isnt proven in hiring new head coaches. he IS proven as being able to run an athletic dept that has good coaches at the realm already. i think jp knows this and he is going to do the best he can to get good coaches in every sport so he can concentrate on what he does best...raise money, improve facilities, etc. he needs to focus on the whole dept and let the capable head coaches focus on their respective sports.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

In my opinion, I feel like a lot of fans just wanted their moment in the sun. A big sexy hire (Harbaugh), lots of exposure, ESPN all over the place, Jim Rome, all that.

What JP is doing is trying to evaluate the best candidate possible. A person he feels can guide the ship through the rough waters that lay ahead, and lead this program to new heights. In JP's opinion that may not be someone like a Harbaugh (referencing the name because it was THE rumor for awhile), it may be some nerdy looking guy who barely rates a blip on ESPN's radar.

However, if JP is right, and the guy can get the program over that is when we will get on ESPN. Start winning meaningful games, the networks will follow.

Jeffrey A Crawford