Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 80

Chizik's Monday radio call-in show

Heard just the first couple of questions before the radio signal fizzed out. Anyone else here catch the show, anything else illuminating revealed?

What I heard:

1) Chase Harper, TE, who signed last February with h.s. teammate Darius Darks -- Gene said he hopes (expects?) Chase to enroll at ISU in January and, with a redshirt year, have 5-1/2 years to play 4. (Essentially, Chase would be a Grayshirt.)

As we suspected, it's a test score thing. Gene said Chase was so close to qualifying; not sure I heard this correctly, but think Gene said Chase will have three chances this fall to take the test to receive a qualifying score.

When talking about Chase, I thought Gene's enthusiasm was detectable. I'm guessing he really wants Chase in Ames; it's not just a so-so deal.

2) Policy on verbal commitments -- Gene said that when a kid makes a commitment to Iowa State, the staff expects the kid to be fully behind his decision and not make any further recruiting trips and to cut off recruiting contact by other programs. Gene said the staff is really emphasizing the policy this recruiting cycle.

Gene said that last winter they cut some kids loose who weren't sure that they wanted to be Cyclones even though they had verbally committed. With some other commitments, said the fight to sign them came down to the last day.

I hoped he would explain why a Ter' ran Benton could make a last minute visit to Nebraska and not be cut loose. That is, why some kids were let go and not others. I assume he's got reasons for it (like an agreement with the kid beforehand), but this was left unanswered in the end.

3) Red Zone offense -- What's Gene's and Mac's philosophy, take what the defense gives, or dictate to the defense and force the issue?

Behind this question is all the naysaying here by fans who didn't like the playcalling Saturday. Question was meant to elicit whether or not ISU attempted to attack eiu's Red Zone defensive weaknesses or tried to stubbornly bull its way ahead with bone-headed stubbornness.

Gene said they always try to take what the defense gives, determined by scouting tendencies. So, it appears that ISU's youthful offense was just not quite as good in those situations as eiu's veteran defense.

So, maybe the playcalling was reasonably good, the plays just didn't work because the execution wasn't there.

Last edited by CyValley; 09-16-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Re: Chizik's Monday radio call-in show

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    I hoped he would explain why a Ter' ran Benton could make a last minute visit to Nebraska and not be cut loose. That is, why some kids were let go and not others. I assume he's got reasons for it (like an agreement with the kid beforehand), but this was left unanswered in the end.
    The way I heard it, he basically said if the kid is that good, they will be a little more leanient with the 'rule'. Sounds like it isn't a firm policy at all, just a case by case.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I believe its been brought up several times and its about the recruit being upfront with the staff. This means the recruits will committ but tell the staff they plan on taking more visits and not doin it behind their back

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 524

Heard just the first couple of questions before the radio signal fizzed out. Anyone else here catch the show, anything else illuminating revealed?

What I heard:

1) Chase Harper, TE, who signed last February with h.s. teammate Darius Darks -- Gene said he hopes (expects?) Chase to enroll at ISU in January and, with a redshirt year, have 5-1/2 years to play 4. (Essentially, Chase would be a Grayshirt.).
    Thanks for the report. I was wrapped up in my manuscript last night, and couldn't listen. I hope someone touches on the points of the rest of the show

The Chase Harper notes were great, though. I take it he still has to pass the test in those three tries. Nice to have it clarified! Thanks!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    The way I heard it, he basically said if the kid is that good, they will be a little more leanient with the 'rule'. Sounds like it isn't a firm policy at all, just a case by case.
    I certainly hope not - that's a pretty b.s. policy

"if you're good, you can do what you want. If you're not, you have to do what we say"

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

So, it appears that ISU's youthful offense was just not quite as good in those situations as eiu's veteran defense.

So, maybe the playcalling was reasonably good, the plays just didn't work because the execution wasn't there.
    What i heard was him saying that on a couple of plays, we had a run called and our qb (Austin) didnt recognize the 8 men in the box and still ran the run. Its definitely a learning aspect to recognition, but for me, i had hoped that with the quantity of red zone trips we would know if they have 8 guys in the box or 7.

I hope we get the red zone offense straightened out, it plagued our season last year and its beginning to rear its ugly head again. Maybe this team needs to take a shot when they got it, instead of trying to MAN UP and run it into the teeth of the defense, just not smart football.

I've said it before and i will say it again - that game played in the dry and our team wins that game 7 - 10 times. I just thought by watching that game they looked more physical across the DL front and our speed was seriously negated by the wet field.

We will see what we got this week at UNLV....should be dry out there!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    . . . Maybe this team needs to take a shot when they got it, instead of trying to MAN UP and run it into the teeth of the defense, just not smart football.
    I guess it seems to me, aside from our youthful QBs not identifying the defensive sets (as they will with more experience), that it's hard to imagine that this staff would perilously "run it into the teeth of the defense." Particularly since Gene said last night the idea is to take advantage of what a defense gives you.

Can you say definitively that the staff did not call the smart play best designed to take advanatage of the veteran eiu defense? Passing in the field-shortened Red Zone might not have been the smart thing to do.

Are you assuming that the staff could have called something down there that would have worked? It might be that the eiu defense, considering our youthful offense, was gonna stop whatever we tried down close, that nothing would have worked given the circumstances.

Last edited by CyValley; 09-16-2008 at 02:22 PM.
    -George Washington

Walk On
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

2 callers really held Coach Chiz's feet to the fire on not getting plays in on time and delay of game penalties, especially the time out taken after we got a delay of game. Coach whole heartedly agreed that this was unacceptable and said the staff WILL correct it. Sounded as if some assistants might have got quite an earfull over that. The way we line up, then look back to the coaches, then the QB tries to get everyone on the same page, then line back up and snap the ball seems very disorganized to me. The players don't seem comfortable with it, and they don't seem like they have enough time to concentrate and take a breath before the snap.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 284

3) Red Zone offense -- What's Gene's and Mac's philosophy, take what the defense gives, or dictate to the defense and force the issue?
    The play inside the red zone reminded me of Mac's offense. Just a different Mac.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Boony View Post
    2 callers really held Coach Chiz's feet to the fire on not getting plays in on time and delay of game penalties, especially the time out taken after we got a delay of game. Coach whole heartedly agreed that this was unacceptable and said the staff WILL correct it. Sounded as if some assistants might have got quite an earfull over that. The way we line up, then look back to the coaches, then the QB tries to get everyone on the same page, then line back up and snap the ball seems very disorganized to me. The players don't seem comfortable with it, and they don't seem like they have enough time to concentrate and take a breath before the snap.
    McFarland talked about this on Cotlar this morning. He said the delay of game was because Austen had mud on his wristband and couldn't clean it enough to read it in time. Then after the penalty, he (McFarland) underestimated how much time he had and didn't get the play in.

He said other times it was players not being close enough to the coaches and trouble getting the right personnel in the game...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I listened to the call-in show in its entirety. The Chiz obviously didn’t blame the loss on the “Leading with Helmet” penalty but he definitely thought the call was a bad one. He doesn’t do a whole lot of sugar coating. After listening to him for an hour I contemplated slitting my wrist but instead opted to go upstairs and assume the fetal position for the rest of the evening.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If I was a player and Chizik showed up in pads and a helmet at practice, I would be afraid . . . very afraid.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

McFarland talked about this on Cotlar this morning. He said the delay of game was because Austen had mud on his wristband and couldn't clean it enough to read it in time. . . .
    Once again, proof that the devil is in the details. Guess it's the human condition, the way that we're wired, to leap (fans in this case) to conclusions without knowing underlying circumstances.

We ASSUME the reasons behind a failing MUST be this thing, or that thing. Because we SEE the action, the effect. What we often cannot see is the cause. Cause and effect. Too often we jump to a conclusion based on the effect only. imho, anyway.

The effect: Delay of game penalty. The cause: A muddy wristband. Fans don't know about the wristband, so the minds of many of them take a leap and reach the wrong conclusion. Standard human behavior.

Then after the penalty, he (McFarland) underestimated how much time he had and didn't get the play in.

He said other times it was players not being close enough to the coaches and trouble getting the right personnel in the game...
    Anyone here doubt, given the drive to succeed that it APPEARS our coaches have, they won't move mountain and earth to fix these problems?

cybsball20, glad you posted Mac's comments.

-George Washington

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I certainly hope not - that's a pretty b.s. policy

"if you're good, you can do what you want. If you're not, you have to do what we say"
    I don't think that's the way it works. I think what happened with players like Ter'ran Benton is he commited but already had other visits scheduled and wanted to take them. They staff reluctantly said ok. When they got really upset is when players would commit, then schedule other visits afterwards. In other words, they were basically using ISU as a fallback school and to improve their recruiting position. This staff isn't going to let anybody use ISU like that.

This year, I think they're saying that you can take other visits and commit later, but don't commit until you're ready to truly commit to being a Cyclone. If you take too long though, your spot might get filled.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Boony View Post
    The way we line up, then look back to the coaches, then the QB tries to get everyone on the same page, then line back up and snap the ball seems very disorganized to me.
    This concept is used by many schools and works quite well with Chase Daniel as Mizzou. Now, Chase ran the same system in high school, so it's second nature to him. It may be a little clunky right now as the team adjusts, but over the next couple years, you'll learn to love it.