Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

Iowa Hangover v ASU Hangover

A quick surfing of the Las Vegas Review Journal, the UNLV Scout site and the UNLV Rivals site shows all the chatter about the ASU win and nary a word about I State. A classic hangover.

Our site seems a little more focused on UNLV but a lot of chatter about last Saturday as well.

I realize the fans don't suit up, but how are last week's games playing in the minds of each schools' coaches and players? How does a school with a big win play against a school with a big loss in the next game? My gut says the school with the big loss is hungrier, while the school with the big loss has it's head in the clouds.

Addict
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 26

Re: Iowa Hangover v ASU Hangover

I can think of a couple examples from our own recent history.

1) In 2002, Nebraska got absolutely smoked by Penn State, something like 40-7, the week before they came to Ames "with something to prove." As we all know, Seneca put the 'Skers in their place and dropped them from the Top 25. Nebraska was a no-show after their big loss.

2) In 2005, two weeks after we beat #8 Iowa (we had a bye week), we went to play Army and nearly a lost a game we should have won by 2-3 touchdowns (if not more). Hawk hangover nearly bit us in the butt that week, though I suspect some of it continued to linger as we proceeded to lose our next three games (in OT at Neb, home vs Baylor, and @ Missouri).

I mean, you can come up with cases that support either side, so really, my post has no point. But I think Chiz will have our guys ready to prove that last weekend was something of a fluke.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 45

I have never bought the theory that a loss does a team any good. If I was a UNLV player, I would be so pumped up to show my home fan base that this win was no fluke, and play even harder.
    Bottom line - teams play better with confidence. I would feel better about this game if we had won last Saturday, and UNLV had lost.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 98

This road trip would be much easier coming off a win at iowa. Having a long flight to the desert and having to play unlv who just won the biggest game of mike sanford's career is gonna be tougher than nails....

From my experience its easier coming from a win than from a loss where you could not get into the end zone...

Here's to a winning trip but I tell ya boys...this game just doesnt feel good....

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

If I was a player, I'd be so anxious to prove last week was a fluke and want to take this loss out on somebody. I'd be seriously p - o'd and UNLV would have a huge target on their backs.

The ASU win, I think, gets UNLV players thinking they are inherently good, and may not think preperation is not as important. That guy with the one handed catch will be looking at ISU game film but rewinding his own play in his own mind.

I think we are positioned well.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsCy View Post
    If I was a player, I'd be so anxious to prove last week was a fluke and want to take this loss out on somebody. I'd be seriously p - o'd and UNLV would have a huge target on their backs.

The ASU win, I think, gets UNLV players thinking they are inherently good, and may not think preperation is not as important. That guy with the one handed catch will be looking at ISU game film but rewinding his own play in his own mind.

I do too. I would feel differently if we had been dominated by Iowa but we weren't. We actually put up more yards than they did, we just made mistakes instead of taking advantage of our opportunities. Those things -- three personal fouls, three missed FG's, and not being able to get a play called -- are all correctable. If we had been dominated like we were last year against Texas I'd feel differently -- no "corrections" would have helped in that one.

Plus the ISU fan base is going to travel huge and create a great environment.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think we are positioned well also, especially given the fact that Nevada is next on UNLV's schedule after ISU. Could they be peeking ahead - just a little?

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

UNLV will be ready for us. They want revenge against us for last time. We better come prepared for them and play well and score. No more of this getting to the redzone and stalling, Field goals won't cut it.

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." - Charles Barkley

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsCy View Post

Exactly, UNLV is going to be on Cloud 9 for this game. ISU has more to prove after being virtually shut out by Iowa, and UNLV will probably feel entitled to this win.

Of course, they could really prove themselves and blow us out, but UNLV up to the ASU game, really hasn't been that impressive offensively.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Having only played in high school, I don't think it really matters come game time. The previous week may have an effect on how you practice that week, which can affect how you play.

Although, my high school team never really won much so who am I to talk.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

You have to take into context exactly what happened last week with UNLV's win over ASU.

4 straight 2-win seasons, a seriously maligned coach with 6 wins in 3 seasons who needed to somehow figure it out this year or he's gone, a program that beat Utah last year 27-0 and then proceeded to lose 8-straight to close out the season, a university that is so cash strapped that the idea of killing the football program has been tossed around if they don't start winning soon, a program that has consistently had done less with more and figures out ways to lose games. No need to beat UNLV, they beat themselves.

Like our game a few years ago. We did....just....enough...to....lose.

Last week, UNLV exorcised a ton of demons that have suffocated the program. Or so we think. We have been here before - on the verge of turning the corner into a winning program that actually goes to a bowl game every so often, only to fall right back off the cliff.

UNLV will be looking at the ISU game as a chance, in front of a home crowd, to prove to themselves, the Las Vegas community and college football in general that they are tired of losing. The team will be looking to prove a point. The Las Vegas community wants to support the program so badly.

Will they do it this time? Who knows. If you can take the punch and punch us back hard, you may deflate our confidence real quick. But ISU had better not be thinking this will be some type of letdown game for UNLV.

Not even close. The program is hungry - very hungry - to stop the losing and finally gain some respect. And this week, we get another shot to prove our point against a BCS opponent.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I feel there will indeed be a hangover for our guys atleast, they are taking the loss pretty hard because they feel they played horrible and it was a very winnable game. We will start slow against UNLV. But i will tell you, these guys are not overlooking UNLV, actually, looking at them as "better team than Iowa" So, we will see what happens.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Having only played in high school, I don't think it really matters come game time. The previous week may have an effect on how you practice that week, which can affect how you play.

Although, my high school team never really won much so who am I to talk.

I think we went to the same highschool....lol

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 3

I think UNLV will be up for this game, but they also could be a little over-confident with their win over ASU. It does seem though that they play pretty tough on their home turf.

Another thing that may affect this game is that next week they play their in-state arch rival Nevada-Reno. These two schools hate each other, and over the years Nevada-Reno has been the better football school of the two. I know. I worked at Nevada-Reno from 1991 to 1993. So, hopefully, the Rebels will be looking ahead to that game.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by JahReb View Post
    You have to take into context exactly what happened last week with UNLV's win over ASU.

4 straight 2-win seasons, a seriously maligned coach with 6 wins in 3 seasons who needed to somehow figure it out this year or he's gone, a program that beat Utah last year 27-0 and then proceeded to lose 8-straight to close out the season, a university that is so cash strapped that the idea of killing the football program has been tossed around if they don't start winning soon, a program that has consistently had done less with more and figures out ways to lose games. No need to beat UNLV, they beat themselves.

Like our game a few years ago. We did....just....enough...to....lose.

Last week, UNLV exorcised a ton of demons that have suffocated the program. Or so we think. We have been here before - on the verge of turning the corner into a winning program that actually goes to a bowl game every so often, only to fall right back off the cliff.

UNLV will be looking at the ISU game as a chance, in front of a home crowd, to prove to themselves, the Las Vegas community and college football in general that they are tired of losing. The team will be looking to prove a point. The Las Vegas community wants to support the program so badly.

Will they do it this time? Who knows. If you can take the punch and punch us back hard, you may deflate our confidence real quick. But ISU had better not be thinking this will be some type of letdown game for UNLV.

Not even close. The program is hungry - very hungry - to stop the losing and finally gain some respect. And this week, we get another shot to prove our point against a BCS opponent.
    Awe, come on, why do you have to go and word it like that! I'm a sucker for the underdog.

At least I won't feel as bad if ISU loses. Our team isn't exactly the best team on the road for the past few years, so it won't be surprising, but ... y'know... if it's for a good cause.

I feel confident that UNLV is on the verge of better things, too, but from what I've seen in looking at your teams' stats, I still feel like the ASU win was a bit of a aberration. It just has all the qualities of the ISU win over #8 Iowa in 2005. It almost led us to a loss against a very bad Army team the following week, but overall, ended up being a decent season that almost ended in a win against 11-1 TCU in the bowl game.

Go Sssssssssyclones!