Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

SPREAD OFFENSE

One concern i have on our offense is that we almost play for the field goal. In saturday's game on several occasions i had hawk fans telling me that if we continue to throw that shallow flat route that sooner or later we would run a double move off of it. I waited and waited for that route - i never got to see it. I realize they played a lot of cover 2 zones, but, they also blitzed a lot. In the end, we didnt - i know the footing was bad, but it would have been worse for the defender trying to recover.

My concern for the offense is its built for moving the ball between the 20's and then it stalls. Our o-line has not showed the physical ability to run when it wants, and our passing game becomes too predictable when were inside the 20. The one thing i would love to see out of our coaches is some creativity inside the 20 - it almost seems the defense is ready on all our play calls once we hit the red zone. Against the SDSU or even KSU thats fine, against Iowa or the big 12 that will not work.

Saturday's problems were a flat result of not capitalizing on our opportunities. We were inside the 5 yard line twice with first downs and got zero points. I don't care about mahoney missing the field goals because i was already ****** that we cannot get it into the end zone. I can tell you right now, on a dry field we could have attacked that secondary all day long - not sure why we didnt do it anyway????

For me, when we get the ball inside the 10 yard line, i would like to see bates in the game more. I think he provides a different dimension that cannot always be defended and it keeps our offense in an attack mode rather then turning conservative. I hope our O coordinators come up with something that puts the ball in the end zone against better competition.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 202

Re: SPREAD OFFENSE

Nothing new for a MacFarland-coached offense to struggle in the Red Zone. Check out Stephen F Austin stats from when he was there as well. Not good. When you are an offense designed to dink and dunk down the field, you need to be able to score before you get inside the 15. The defense can then put the clamps down and cover everyone a lot tighter.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

I just don't understand why we run a completely different offense inside the red zone. When you run a spread, stick with it, no need to change to a tight formation because you are inside the red zone...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 623

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I just don't understand why we run a completely different offense inside the red zone. When you run a spread, stick with it, no need to change to a tight formation because you are inside the red zone...

Well said.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The O-Line needs to MAN UP and open up some running lanes. Then the red zone offense will open up. Our running is so weak, that being able to cover the pass when you've only got 15 yards to work with is REAL easy.

If we had a legit running game, we'd be able to keep the defense honest.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I agree.

I also think our inability to run the ball effectively is hurting us a lot in the red zone.

Nah, I don't think that - I know it. Could list off some plays where it directly took points off the board for us...

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I agree.

I also think our inability to run the ball effectively is hurting us a lot in the red zone.
    We also run the ball much better out of the spread. We don't have the personnel to smash it down people's throat, we don't even have a running back that specializes in that, but we still try inside the 20. Spread the D, open up some cutback lanes and it will help the run game too. There are no situations we should have three tight ends or even two in the game.

Another thing I caught really early, EVERY TIME we motioned a wideout back towards the play we ran the ball, every time! You have to mix it up some...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Our scoring woes are a product of our inability to run the ball b/t the tackles when the d knows its coming. We need a guy like Ryan Kock who would get you 2-3 yards guaranteed.

When Mike Knapp and Matt Hulbert won starting jobs, it became obvious that McFarland really wasn't interested in playing this kind of ball, which is fine until you get to the redzone. A-Rob is the best option we've got down there because of his shiftiness, but the guy only weighs 180. He is kind of like Julius Jones when he played for the Cowboys, started the game, got the team down to a position to score, the Marion Barber came in and took it in.

Hopefully Schwartz can eventually be that guy for us since the staff doesn't seem to be comfortable with handing the ball of to the likes of Catlett, Mansfield, or Eckwelundu. I know JS was talking about cutting weight to be a feature back, but IMO we need him to stay a big bruiser.

--------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”