Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Personal Fouls

9 for 135 yards so far by my count:

3 against S. Dakota State.
    3 against Kent State
    3 against Iowa (Marquis Hamilton downfield nonsense, tackling the punt returner before the ball arrived, and the helmet-to-helmet contact).

The helmet-to-helmet was inadvertant and just one of those things that happen. The others were all avoidable and were quite frankly inexcusable as each one can kill a drive on offense or keep a drive alive for the other team.

Is anyone else disappointed in the coaching staff for this? I thought this would have been cleaned up after week one. If we don't get this done, sooner or later it's going to cost us a win.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,060
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 9

Re: Personal Fouls

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post

3 against Kent State
    3 against Iowa (Marquis Hamilton downfield nonsense, tackling the punt returner before the ball arrived, and the helmet-to-helmet contact).

The helmet-to-helmet was inadvertant and just one of those things that happen. The others were all avoidable and were quite frankly inexcusable as each one can kill a drive on offense or keep a drive alive for the other team.

Is anyone else disappointed in the coaching staff for this? I thought this would have been cleaned up after week one. If we don't get this done, sooner or later it's going to cost us a win.
    Ironic that the only one that really hurt us was the inadvertent one.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

Personally, at this point I don't mind them. It seems like many of the penalties are from young players that will learn. I think it's showing some aggressiveness that at least I am not used to seeing. By the end of the season I don't think we will be seeing personal fouls anymore and if you ever watch Chizik he is furious after the penalty. Btw, some those personal fouls were bogus.

Commitment To Excellence

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 254

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post

3 against Kent State

is there a part of the coaching staff that is letting this run a bit...letting the kids learn, play with emotion, etc.?

I would love for 33 to chime in here-

I would normally hate the PF's but for whatever reason, they don't bother me...yet.

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

They dont get a pat on the back for it, It will earn you punishment. I think the guys are playing with a lot of emotion and that causes a lot of it. Personally i loved seeing Singleton lay the wood right before the ball got there, he was set on making a hit and just went for it, unfortunately he got there too soon. Atleast we have guys that want to hit.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

The personal fouls have been to our costly field position, momentum and our reputation. For the first 10 quarters of play this season we have had one personal foul each quarter.

Emotion and enthusiasm is one thing, getting a reputation for playing like we are thugs is another.

If we had a team get one against us each quarter, can you imagine the names they would be called on here?

If we are rebuilding right, lets do it right, and this stuff should result in player consequences.

Just my opinion.

Recruit
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Are you serious? Football is an emotional game. Have you heard any of the opposing coaches complaining about our play? You're a little over the top on this one. We're a long ways from being dirty. And, curious, why the thug comment? Are thugs the only ones who get personal fouls? Get real.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,014
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Ironic that the only one that really hurt us was the inadvertent one.

I think the Hamilton one hurt too...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 102

I'm pretty sure we got 4 called against us against SDSU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I think the Hamilton one hurt too...
    Yes this one basically killed the drive that ended in a missed field goal. We went from first and 10 at around the 23 to first and ten at the 38. I am not exactly sure about the yardage spots but it was a huge penalty.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

At this point, I do not think I am over the top.

Carefully read what I said, I did not say we were thugs, I said getting a reputation for playing like thugs. This is a very common description used when another team gets a reputation for playing dirty.

Are we there yet, probably not. However, if this level of personal fouls continues, we sure could be.

A lot of emphasis is being put on the coaches building the program right, doing it the long way to build a successful program. The personal fouls challenge has been contrary to this goal.

If my memory is correct, we have had one each quarter up through the first 10 quarters of play this year (or an average of). These have needlessly cost us field position, momentum (emotional momentum of the team as well) and when you play the what if game, certainly may have impacted scoring opportunities.

Everyone expects these to happen and they probably are the sign of a young team. It is the frequency and effects that bother me.

Again, if we were reviewing our rivals and saw 10 the first 3 games, what would some of the posts be like?

It is just something that I would like to see focused on to decrease how we play with them. Just my opinion.

Last edited by CyAg; 09-15-2008 at 07:35 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

As for the Iowa PFs, I don't mind Singleton's smackdown of Brodell. It sent a message. I'm not even going to comment on the helmet to helmet. But the Hamilton one was GARBAGE... he should have been benched for that. KILLED an early, good looking drive. Just stupid.

As for the SDSU game, I'm not real upset about those. You don't let a team like South Dakota State come in to your house and push you around at all. We're the big 12, they're a nobody. However, the Kent St. ones were dumb, and I'd say that one on Hamilton during the Iowa game was as stupid as they get.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 875

they are playing loose, fast and hard. Most of the PF penalties, while are perfect, don't bother me too much.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Quote Originally Posted by ISUclones33 View Post
    They dont get a pat on the back for it, It will earn you punishment. I think the guys are playing with a lot of emotion and that causes a lot of it. Personally i loved seeing Singleton lay the wood right before the ball got there, he was set on making a hit and just went for it, unfortunately he got there too soon. Atleast we have guys that want to hit.
    If Singleton would have made even a 50% effort on that whiffed tackle on the punt return, I'd agree with you.

However, he didn't.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 304

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    If Singleton would have made even a 50% effort on that whiffed tackle on the punt return, I'd agree with you.

However, he didn't.

I think what happened was that after Singleton got chewed out the first time, he let up the second time which led to the squawks winning the game on an 80 yard punt return.

Chizik cant have it both ways. You cant chew a guy out for getting a penalty and then expect him not to let up the second time and then fly rite by Brodell. Hellsbells boys I would rather get their early and get a yardage penalty instead of giving up a touchdown on a punt return!!