Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Last Year Vs. This Year

Isnt it great to have a coach on the sidelines actually coaching and getting into the game? What a win. But heres the thing that stood out to me most.

McD was a genious last night. What do you do with a big man that is killing you? Get him tired. What did ISU do the last 8 min? Whoever the big guy guarded, he set an on ball screen for Taylor, forcing the biggy to hedge and then recover. Play was ingenious, so many possiblities came from it (Mostly Taylor looking like Willoughby) .

Another note, I love how the players get pulled and disciplined for doing something wrong. Starting to remind me of the team discipline that Eustachy had here.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 332

Re: Last Year Vs. This Year

Very true....remember last year when NU's big man destroyed us in hilton? That #$%# wont happen this year....McD will find a way to overcome it or at least slow it down.

@RandomGeoFacts

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 455

Quote Originally Posted by cllions05 View Post
    Isnt it great to have a coach on the sidelines actually coaching and getting into the game? What a win. But heres the thing that stood out to me most.

McD was a genious last night. What do you do with a big man that is killing you? Get him tired. What did ISU do the last 8 min? Whoever the big guy guarded, he set an on ball screen for Taylor, forcing the biggy to hedge and then recover. Play was ingenious, so many possiblities came from it (Mostly Taylor looking like Willoughby) .

Another note, I love how the players get pulled and disciplined for doing something wrong. Starting to remind me of the team discipline that Eustachy had here.
    Great point. I will look for that in future games.

I feel my expectations rising.... !!

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

G-Mac is a great in-game coach. I think it's one of his best attributes.

Starter
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I already can not count all the different times that I have seen the refs tell G-Mac to get back to the bench area. I really like that because he is getting out there on the floor and trying to get things across to his players and is constantly coaching.

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When we were up by 3 with about 1:45 to go, had the ball, I starting thinking about last year.

My brain: "Oh, great. Morgan is just going call out some play that actually is not a play, but can be phrased as "give the ball to Curtis and let him run down the clock, penetrate, and throw up some piece of crap for a shot while the other guys stand there and watch, not attempting to get the rebound, except Clark"

Reality: Mac actually calls out a play, and they run one. There are guys setting off-ball screens, on ball screens. No fruit from the screens, so our team leader, they guy who has not only been hot from the floor, but our obvious vocal team leader, dribble penetrates, attracts 3 defenders, and makes a nifty pass to a big guy who shoots a 2 foot, 90% likelyhood of making little jumper. And makes it. And the guy we want at the line (clark) gets the rebounds and goes to the line to seal it. done. win.

THAT is the difference between this year and last year. And good team defense. And actually running plays on offense. And a coach who cares, instead of standing there with arms folded. And players with passion for winning as a team. Perhaps our post defense will show up with Jiri.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonic View Post
    When we were up by 3 with about 1:45 to go, had the ball, I starting thinking about last year.

My brain: "Oh, great. Morgan is just going call out some play that actually is not a play, but can be phrased as "give the ball to Curtis and let him run down the clock, penetrate, and throw up some piece of crap for a shot while the other guys stand there and watch, not attempting to get the rebound, except Clark"

Reality: Mac actually calls out a play, and they run one. There are guys setting off-ball screens, on ball screens. No fruit from the screens, so our team leader, they guy who has not only been hot from the floor, but our obvious vocal team leader, dribble penetrates, attracts 3 defenders, and makes a nifty pass to a big guy who shoots a 2 foot, 90% likelyhood of making little jumper. And makes it. And the guy we want at the line (clark) gets the rebounds and goes to the line to seal it. done. win.

THAT is the difference between this year and last year. And good team defense. And actually running plays on offense. And a coach who cares, instead of standing there with arms folded. And players with passion for winning as a team. Perhaps our post defense will show up with Jiri.
    I'm baffled at how perfectly you said it. Really - this is the post of the day.

Nice job.

Recruit
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks, ISU.

I have been reading this site since April, and I only chime in on things that I think are worth chiming in on. I am a huge BB fan, and try to use my brain when I post. So, thanks for the rep, and if I ever post something that is crap, let me know.

Clones rock.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The biggest difference I see is in the defense and rebounding. Last few years our 2-3 zone was complete crap. Teams got easy 3 pointers and layups because the zone we played was designed to trap every chance you get and hope for a turnover which good teams knew that making quick passes and cutting to the lane always left someone open. The second we tried to trap there was either someone wide open under the basket or wide open in the corner for a 3. Plus that defense was always in terrible position for rebounds. This year our man defense has been smoothering at times and we are always crashing the boards because when you play man you know where your guy is at and can box out immediately. With a zone you had to find a guy to box out before you went for the board.

I'm VERY pleased with the new style of ball we are playing and it will pay big dividends in the long run if these youngs kids really buy into the system and continue to improve.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The most telling difference for me between this year and last is how we react when teams throw a zone at us. In the Norfolk game we struggled some, but when Minnesota threw it at us we seemed to have a better idea of what to do with it. It still seems like we settle for 3's sometimes, but it at least appears that we've thought about an answer to that sort of defense and the players have been coached on how to beat it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

i just like the fact that you dont see and players arguing with eachother... its nice to see an actuall team

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i love how gmac actually makes adjustments unlike morgan. I dont know how many times last year where every team would send somebody to the corner to shoot threes every game. They would make atleast 5 threes a game in the same spot and it didnt matter what team it was