Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 332

Hey, we're the Alamo Bowl and we accept mediocraty at best

The minnesota AP was quote saying the following:

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi seemed to accept that explanation (Of why Iowa was picked over them after beating Iowa head to head).

"The process is what it is," he told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It's the nature of this business, and I respect that."

Let's just say I'm glad we have Pollard who would not accept that and would demand more out of fans and stick up for the team. Maturi seems to just take the punches and keep going. Even if Iowa is a better business option for the bowl, the AD should be rallying fans and promoting excitement so that this won't happen to them in the future.

@RandomGeoFacts

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Re: Hey, we're the Alamo Bowl and we accept mediocraty at best

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi seemed to accept that explanation (Of why Iowa was picked over them after beating Iowa head to head).

"The process is what it is," he told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "It's the nature of this business, and I respect that."

Let's just say I'm glad we have Pollard who would not accept that and would demand more out of fans and stick up for the team. Maturi seems to just take the punches and keep going. Even if Iowa is a better business option for the bowl, the AD should be rallying fans and promoting excitement so that this won't happen to them in the future.
    There is really nothing he can do. It IS the nature of the business...and that's what it is, a business. It's not fair or right but $$$ talks and Minny just doesn't travel.

But I definitely agree with your last statement. He should come out and say "Let's bring 20,000 to Phoenix and not let this happen next year"

The worst bowl in the Big 10 this year is the Insight. Seems like our Big 12 commish could learn something from the Big 10...better bowl games, better tv packages, hell, the Big 10 has their own TV channel!

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post

Actually, I think MN minds the Insight selection. They have a larger fan base in the Tempe/Phoenix area, and the atmosphere is much better. With the Fiesta bowl being just a few days after, the area is more focused on football.

That being said, I'm sure they're not happy with being snubbed by Alamo. I think it was a classy way of saying we understand the process, we know we're a better football team, and we know Iowa didn't get the higher bid based on the product they put on the field. No stink about it, just facts.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed. He can't do anything about it this year, but if he wants the program to be repsected better in the future, he better get off his butt and do something about it.

@RandomGeoFacts

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

They was a caller on Cotlar's show this morning talking about how if more Little 11 conference teams had become bowl eligible, then Iowa would have gone to the Humanitarian bowl and the electric blue field from hell. But since more didn't qualify that moved EIU up to the Alamo bowl. I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about or not but I know that Minnesota with 2 conference wins should have gone before Pukeyesville that is certain.

The only positive that comes out of this is we get to watch more temper tantrums from Drew as the implosion continues and and the hawks get put in their place and become old chickens destined to become chicken mcnuggets for the favorite employer for EIU grads, McDonalds.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 104

It'll be great to watch Texas tech or OSU tear their secondary apart. I know Tech isnt what it used to be, but Iowa will be hurting on D against either one. Iowa 6-7!

#BEATIOWA

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 130

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    It'll be great to watch Texas tech or OSU tear their secondary apart. I know Tech isnt what it used to be, but Iowa will be hurting on D against either one. Iowa 6-7!
    Guys Guys Guys, Tech or OSU have zero chance to play in the Alamo...ZERO CHANCE!! The pecking order for bowls goes like this...
    BCS...Cotton...Holiday...Alamo...Sun...Insight...Independance...Texas. Now if the Gator chooses to do so, It can take the 3rd pick, but with the big 12 being down this year, I doubt they will unless Nebraska wins the Big 12 Championship game and gets the BCS bid, then I would be willing to bet the Gator would love to have either Teas or OU, depending on which one gets the Cotton. I play the two scenarios out..

BCS- Big 12 Champ (Texas or OU)
    Cotton- Texas or OU
    Holiday- Nebraska
    Alamo- A&M
    Sun- Mizz
    Insight- Tech
    Independance- KSU
    Texas- OSU

Now if Nebraska gets the BCS bid, look for either Texas or OU in the Cotton, and the other in the Gator. Then everyone should move up a bowl, and the Sun Bowl would not get a Big 12 team. Also, we only have 8 bowl games for the Big 12, and 9 bowl eligible teams, so look for Kansas, Tech, KSU, or OSU to take a bowl bid that is not on this list, and everyone else to fill in the last 3 bowls.

So to sum it up, Iowa will more then likley be facing off against Texas A&M, unless Nebraska wins the Big 12 Championship game, then they would probably face off against Mizzou

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

No, the Alamo bowl doesn't accept mediocraty. They accept cold, hard cash and that's what this is all about. Hell, if ISU traveled like Iowa did we would have been in some better bowls over the years as well. They don't deserve it with their play on the field. But if anybody thinks "deserve" has anything to do with College sports, they are out of their minds. It's about the money, and UI opens their checkbooks.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    No, the Alamo bowl doesn't accept mediocraty. They accept cold, hard cash and that's what this is all about. Hell, if ISU traveled like Iowa did we would have been in some better bowls over the years as well. They don't deserve it with their play on the field. But if anybody thinks "deserve" has anything to do with College sports, they are out of their minds. It's about the money, and UI opens their checkbooks.
    Exactley!!! Although you make it sound like ISU does not travel well here. We might not travel as well as Hawks fans, as not too many colleges do, but we still do travel very well!!

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

BTW, this threads title screams, "We are Iowa State, and we are extremly jealous of the school to the east of us!"

The Alamo bowl had two 6-6 teams to choose from. If anyone thinks that Minnesota even had a chance to get picked over Iowa, your crazy!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    ... and Minny just doesn't travel ...
    Would you travel well if three of your last four bowl games were all in Nashville? It's like saying we don't travel well to Boise. How many times can you go to Boise?

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    BTW, this threads title screams, "We are Iowa State, and we are extremly jealous of the school to the east of us!"

The Alamo bowl had two 6-6 teams to choose from. If anyone thinks that Minnesota even had a chance to get picked over Iowa, your crazy!

Completely not true. I made this half as a joke and I would never EVER be jealous of the hawks. I'd rather be 0-12 for 10 years than be a hawk fan.

@RandomGeoFacts

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    How does anyone know how well ISU travels? We haven't be been to a major bowl? I would say that ISU would be very represented if we went to the Cap1 bowl or Outback. Anybody Dissagree with that?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    How does anyone know how well ISU travels? We haven't be been to a major bowl? I would say that ISU would be very represented if we went to the Cap1 bowl or Outback. Anybody Dissagree with that?
    Nope, but we've got to earn it first to prove it.

We haven't traveled well to the bowls we've been to though. That much is true.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Nope, but we've got to earn it first to prove it.

We haven't traveled well to the bowls we've been to though. That much is true.
    Well I have only been to one of the bowl games ISU has gone to and that was the Houston. I know we didnt sell our alotment for that game, but there were ALOT of ISU fans in Houston last year. Im also pretty sure we sould out our alotment for the Insight bowl in 2000 and Independence in 2001, but I could be wrong......