Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 27

Andy Katz chat

I got another one of my questions answered by Andy Katz.

Alex (Chicago): Andy, do you think that Greg McDermott is the right man for the Iowa State job? He has had a lot of bad luck but I don't see any improvement from this team this year.

Andy Katz: (12:46 PM ET ) Yes he was the right hire at the time, but yes he has also had bad luck with injuries and attrition. We'll see if he can climb out of this hole.

Also I am not saying I think that Greg isn't the right man to coach this team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 738
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 27

Re: Andy Katz chat

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post

Alex (Chicago): Andy, do you think that Greg McDermott is the right man for the Iowa State job? He has had a lot of bad luck but I don't see any improvement from this team this year.

Andy Katz: (12:46 PM ET ) Yes he was the right hire at the time, but yes he has also had bad luck with injuries and attrition. We'll see if he can climb out of this hole.

So Andy Katz answered your question without answering it.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,140
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 6

Thats why he makes the big bucks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by shildreth View Post
    So Andy Katz answered your question without answering it.
    Isn't that how these chats always go?

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post

If you didn't see improvement from the team, then I'd say you weren't watching enough games....

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 351

Didn't we have a worse record last year than his first year. That would not be improvement.

The way the program is going I would say there is improvement coming. However last year was not an improvement.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Didn't we have a worse record last year than his first year. That would not be improvement.

The way the program is going I would say there is improvement coming. However last year was not an improvement.
    Look at who we had last year. An injured Wesley, no Mike Taylor, a bunch of freshman, jucos and walkons.

EDIT: You also had Lucca sit out, and he is a legit #2

Look at how the team played the first game compared to the last game. Look at how Hubalek went from being a joke, to a marginal player. Diante improved a ton over the course of the season.

You can't say year 1 we won X games, year 2 we won y < X games, so year 2 was worse.

Look at who was on the team, the circumstances around the team, and how they played over the course of the season.

Most BCS coaches would've kept Taylor on the team and ISU would've been a NIT team, which would've been improvement. I think it was pretty unselfish of Mac to kick Taylor off the team because he knew in the long run it would be better for Mike and better for the program, even though in the short run it was worse.

Last edited by mplscyclone; 09-09-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Look at how the team played the first game compared to the last game.
    The last game we got beat by double digits, failed to score 50 points, and shot 27.4% from the floor.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 10

And the Patriots lost the superbowl last year. What's your point?

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    The last game we got beat by double digits, failed to score 50 points, and shot 27.4% from the floor.
    I meant regular season game. We lost to a WAY more talented A&M team. I also think that by the time the Big XII tourney started, morale was pretty low, and a lot of guys were burned out.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

We also took Texas into OT, lost by only 11 to National Champs (as opposed to 24 earlier in the year), and nearly beat a more talented K-State team as well (as opposed to losing by 25 points).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    We also took Texas into OT, lost by only 11 to National Champs (as opposed to 24 earlier in the year), and nearly beat a more talented K-State team as well (as opposed to losing by 25 points).
    We were also on the road for the beatdowns and at home for the closer games. It seems completely reasonable that would happen.

I'm sorry I just don't find a lot to get jazzed about in a season where we finish second to last in the Big 12 and we lose 10 of 11 games to end the year. Is there hope for this season? Yes, I believe there is hope for this season and the guys have the ability to win more games than last year.

I cannot agree that we improved last year regardless of the reasons why it didn't happen. We were worse record wise, statistically, I don't care however you want to put it. We probably would have been better with Mike on the team last year. Unfortunately he was playing for the Idaho Stampede. We might have been better if a number of things happened. Unfortunately they did not and we were not.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    We were also on the road for the beatdowns and at home for the closer games. It seems completely reasonable that would happen.

I'm sorry I just don't find a lot to get jazzed about in a season where we finish second to last in the Big 12 and we lose 10 of 11 games to end the year. Is there hope for this season? Yes, I believe there is hope for this season and the guys have the ability to win more games than last year.

I cannot agree that we improved last year regardless of the reasons why it didn't happen. We were worse record wise, statistically, I don't care however you want to put it. We probably would have been better with Mike on the team last year. Unfortunately he was playing for the Idaho Stampede. We might have been better if a number of things happened. Unfortunately they did not and we were not.
    But the reasons are not the coaches fault. It's not his fault that a prized recruit has to sit out for the season. It's not his fault that his best player got injured. The things that are his fault is what he can control. He can only control the guys who played.

If you watched the guys, they improved a TON over the year. That is a sign of a good coach.

If you don't want to look at the team and say "there's no improvement" then fine. I actually watched every home game, watched every away game that was on TV on TV, and listened to every other road game on the radio.

I'm not saying to get excited about being next to last in the Big XII. Something to be excited about, is Mac can get his players to do things many coaches wouldn't be able to get their players to do.

Imagine how much we'll improve when we get the guys we recruit to suit up, and when the younger guys mature more.