Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Game speed the difference?

One thing we really have to do in the first half, is keep playing the game at the speed we've been playing the last two weeks. I think Iowa will struggle initially because everything has come so easy and so slow, thus far. Most likely they will adjust to the speed, but we need to take advantage of it early. Stanzi has been accurate because he hasn't felt any pressure. Not saying he is going to crumble under pressure, but he might. We have to blitz, even though they know we are every play. Make him make his reads quicker. Remember, he did throw 3 or 4 Int's in their spring game, against the #2 defense.

I feel we have had two better games to get prepared for this weekend, and Iowa has had two "walk-throughs".

TOTALLY DIFFERENT RANT

These guys are absolutely PUMPED to play us. They are going to be flying around the field, looking to make the big hit and the big play. Let's play-action fake and go deep with Sed. Or go with the reverse.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

Re: Game speed the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    One thing we really have to do in the first half, is keep playing the game at the speed we've been playing the last two weeks. I think Iowa will struggle initially because everything has come so easy and so slow, thus far. Most likely they will adjust to the speed, but we need to take advantage of it early. Stanzi has been accurate because he hasn't felt any pressure. Not saying he is going to crumble under pressure, but he might. We have to blitz, even though they know we are every play. Make him make his reads quicker. Remember, he did throw 3 or 4 Int's in their spring game, against the #2 defense.

I feel we have had two better games to get prepared for this weekend, and Iowa has had two "walk-throughs".

TOTALLY DIFFERENT RANT

These guys are absolutely PUMPED to play us. They are going to be flying around the field, looking to make the big hit and the big play. Let's play-action fake and go deep with Sed. Or go with the reverse.
    Agreed - but, one other aspect that i'm hoping will play out this weekend is that our offense/defense has been a bit vanilla. I hope we come out with a completely different scheme and throw them off balance early. I would love nothing more then to be up 17-0 or something crazy like that at halftime to hear the boo birds......

I just hope we dodge the rain, if it rains in my opinion it will favor Iowa's running game, but i also believe it will give us an advantage in the passing game. My only concern is you don't wear people down throwing the ball - you wear them down beating down their throats, i hope that dont happen.

Actually - my first play call would be to come out spread offense with Darks in the slot to ensure he has a lb or safety covering. Play action to Arob, SED and Sumrall run fly's to pressure the secondary with Darks running a deep out, and then catlett running an interior post to the open middle section of the field. IMO Catlett and our TE's will have a big day as their lb are great at physical play in the trenches and pass rush, but lacking in coverage ability and speed. This will be an area that ISU can exploit - watch for it. If the safety comes up on the TE, then throw to one of the flys to start off with instant full throttle offense.

Your point on Iowa's opponents is right on - i think they may be a bit overconfident as well. ISU is not USC, but, were a lot better then FIU or the Lobsters. I'm not as confident that Iowa is that much better the Kent St we will see. There's a reason iowa's schedule was selected as the easiest among all 119 BCS schools. FIU has won as many games over the last three years as we've won this year, that tells me enough.

Iowa has come out flat the last three times we played them because they were expected to win. Now there's a huge question on if they can beat us and i think that will really push them.

If ISU can pull off this road win, our season could be more then expected - and i'm not getting crazy and saying we will be undefeated, but, 7-8 wins is possible.

Can't wait!!!!!!!!

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

1) Of course you guys should be more of a challenge than the two teams we've faced thus far... but your defense shouldn't be too much of a 'shock.' I mean, our offense had to go up against our first team defense all camp. I watched our offense get stomped by our defense in open practice. Most everyone on our offense played/started last year anyhow -- they've seen BCS level athletes.

2) Stanzi, whenever I've seen him -- even in the spring game -- has been quite accurate. He just seems to have that. When he messes up, it's by forcing a ball where it shouldn't be thrown -- this is decision making. That's where I'm most concerned about him.

Of course everything is tougher with pressure.

As a Cyclone fan, I'd be worrying about getting more pressure without blitzing.

3) Kent State has lost their last 9 dating back to last season. I guess there is always a chance we're not better than that... but, I'm just a wee bit skeptical of that thought. We're likely quite a bit better.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

Quote Originally Posted by crhawkeye View Post
    I mean, our offense had to go up against our first team defense all camp. I watched our offense get stomped by our defense in open practice.
    That's practice. Practices, drills, scrimmages or whatever...

You simply can't simulate game speed. Just can't be done. It's always faster than in anything else guys do.

Burgermeister!
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 876

3) Kent State has lost their last 9 dating back to last season. I guess there is always a chance we're not better than that... but, I'm just a wee bit skeptical of that thought. We're likely quite a bit better.
    Their starting quarterback broke his arm a couple weeks into the season last year. By the end of the year, they had the mascot throwing passes.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    That's practice. Practices, drills, scrimmages or whatever...

You simply can't simulate game speed. Just can't be done. It's always faster than in anything else guys do.

Of course practice isn't just like the game. That's probably why some our fans panicked when they saw a defense that knew our offense pretty well (our own) dominate them in a open scrimmage -- they should have known better.

But to say that we'll have problems with your 'game speed' -- and you won't ? -- is kind of silly. I mean, I just don't see it as a major factor for either team.

(unless you're equating game speed with better opponent, in which case, sure, of course better opponents equate to tougher games)

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 889

I'm thinking that the first obstacle for Iowa State is playing well. Period. That alone is a big enough adjustment.

Secondly, the "Bermuda Triangle" (Defensive tackles/linebackers) has to play better--that's where the interior rush is stopped, and everything begins there in shutting down an offense. Sure, we're inexperienced, even the two upperclassmen played little or not at all, but it's not like they don't have ability.

As far as the offense...well, we're going to see how well all of that youthful talent plays in their first game on the road. Right off the bat, that's plenty of challenge right there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

I'd agree with that, the Hawks probably are quite a bit better. But we beat Kent State by 20, so it doesn't necessarily follow that Iowa will win because they're quite a bit better than Kent State.

I think Iowa will win, but somewhere around 7-10 points. Hawks in the upper 20s/low 30s, Cyclones in the low to upper 20s.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Their starting quarterback broke his arm a couple weeks into the season last year. By the end of the year, they had the mascot throwing passes.
    Ah... well, still a bit skeptical KSU is superior to us.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I couldn't agree more that game speed will be a huge factor for us. This season Iowa hasn't played against the caliber of athletes which will take the field on Saturday dressed in Cardinal & Gold. I really think our QB's, WR's, LB'ers & DB's are going to be at another gear which Iowa hasn't seen yet this year and can not prepare for in a scrimmage. Hopefully the good guys can capitalize on that early and put up a couple quick TD's.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Ah... well, still a bit skeptical KSU is superior to us.
    Of course Iowa is better than KSU, but I would bet the QB and RB from Kent St would both start for Iowa if they were on the squad.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

1) Of course you guys should be more of a challenge than the two teams we've faced thus far... but your defense shouldn't be too much of a 'shock.' I mean, our offense had to go up against our first team defense all camp. I watched our offense get stomped by our defense in open practice. Most everyone on our offense played/started last year anyhow -- they've seen BCS level athletes.
    Maybe that says something about your offense. More often than not it's the offense that stomps the defense

2) Stanzi, whenever I've seen him -- even in the spring game -- has been quite accurate. He just seems to have that. When he messes up, it's by forcing a ball where it shouldn't be thrown -- this is decision making. That's where I'm most concerned about him.
    Was that while he was getting stomped by Iowa's first string defense? Or when he was scrimmaging against Iowa's scrubs?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    I'd agree with that, the Hawks probably are quite a bit better. But we beat Kent State by 20, so it doesn't necessarily follow that Iowa will win because they're quite a bit better than Kent State.

I think Iowa will win, but somewhere around 7-10 points. Hawks in the upper 20s/low 30s, Cyclones in the low to upper 20s.

Never commented on our chances of winning, only KSU comparison.

I too want to say that it'll be a higher scoring game than we've seen lately -- at least the Iowa offense has started quicker this season and I think they have a chance to put up more points. (especially compared to last year)

I've had it with trying to predict this game, though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

Of course practice isn't just like the game. That's probably why some our fans panicked when they saw a defense that knew our offense pretty well (our own) dominate them in a open scrimmage -- they should have known better.

But to say that we'll have problems with your 'game speed' -- and you won't ? -- is kind of silly. I mean, I just don't see it as a major factor for either team.

(unless you're equating game speed with better opponent, in which case, sure, of course better opponents equate to tougher games)
    So you are saying that the reason the offense looked so bad in scrimmage is that your defense is that good? I'm of the opinion that the Hawks offense has looked so good so far because the competition they've played so far has been pathetic.

On Saturday, their performance will be somewhere in between the offense you saw in the scrimmage than the offense you saw against FIU or Maine. My money is around 30 points. Probably will be enough to win the game, but ISU will score at least 20, possibly as much as 30 as well.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    I couldn't agree more that game speed will be a huge factor for us. This season Iowa hasn't played against the caliber of athletes which will take the field on Saturday dressed in Cardinal & Gold. I really think our QB's, WR's, LB'ers & DB's are going to be at another gear which Iowa hasn't seen yet this year and can not prepare for in a scrimmage. Hopefully the good guys can capitalize on that early and put up a couple quick TD's.
    And you haven't played a defense as good as ours.

So what's the point? They cancel each other out.

Actually, FIU has some nice athletes, they're just not very good FB players. They are in Florida, afterall...