Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Jeremy,

GM mentioned that he would still take "the right person" if one came along for '06. Are there any players that are still being looked at?

GM has also indicated that there would be sanctions for the Jiri Hubalek situation and the APR due to the defections. Do you have any information regarding how many scholarships that ISU stands to lose and when?

URBCLONE

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 296
    Given: 144
    I think right now the staff is just being very cautious. The last thing they want to do is hand out scholarships if they aren't exactly certain of the number there will be. I don't believe that where things stand at this moment that there will be any losses but they also have to be prepared incase there are any.

One thing a lot of people think is that since we haven't heard anything about possible investigations due to the D1 scheduling or Jiri that the issues went away. They didn't go away but are rather being investigated in the preliminary ways to see if any bigger investigation needs to be opened. I don't see anything evolving out of either situation but we know how the NCAA can be at times and I wouldn't look for any favors from them.

I hope to learn more with some conversations I have planned.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Rookie
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 65
    Didn't a similar thing happen in the mid 80's w/Jim Criner in Football? I was young but remember a recruiting scandle, and the football program went downhill from there....

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    The football program started going downhill when Earle Bruce left, it hit rock bottom with Criner and Walden.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8
    you only get favors from the NCAA in basteball if your name is Kansas.

Kyle S. Flander

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Yes, it did....it was the single most devestating event to set Iowa State football back. The penalty for the infraction comitted was a joke considering other transgressions that have taken place in college athletics since then and the almost lack of penalties for these infractions. The NCAA limited our scholarships and the program never recovered from a numbers standpoint until McCarney's fourth year. I am not going to defend Walden's recruiting or management of the program, but Walden did have a tremendous uphill battle to replace scholarship players when you are limited to so many per year. Include natural attrition within the program and it did take a good ten years to get scholarship caliber player numbers back in line with other programs that Iowa State had to compete against.

Does anyone have any specific details into the number of scholarships that were taken away from us and how few players we had in uniform in the late 80's? I was thinking there were 20 scholarships taken away and we had gotten down around 60 players on the squad at one point. Can anyone confirm this?

I found it interesting that almost all the Texas schools and the Oklahoma schools were on some type of probation around the same time. This pretty much allowed the Big Ten and Notre Dame to go into these areas and basically pick and choose the players they wanted over the local schools.