Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thoughts

For anyone interested. Here are my thoughts from last night.

The first thing i would like to mention is the crowd. Was it just me, or was it pretty loud in JTS last night?
    To backhand that, I was actually asked to sit down last night, While our defense was on the field. I was not pleased with that.
    Anyway, Sloppy, Sloppy is what i am seeing right now. We are playing decent, but need to clean up many things. Good improvement from week 1 to 2 on offense anyway. Defense scares me right now, As i mentioned last week, we are in trouble in the middle. we are getting pressure and good play from our D Ends, but our middle is soft and isnt getting any penetration. Linebacker play has not been stand out either. Bibbs does an excellent job for us though. I feel our pass coverage is pretty good at times (from the secondary) Namely the corners, I am a little worried about our LB zone coverage and our safety play (minus James Smith)
    I still think that Bates is gonna win a lot of hearts this season, He is going to do something big for us in a key moment, Arnaud is keeping things steady and calm for us, but Bates will pounce on an opportunity soon. ( our playbook is only 1/2 open)

Houston Jones, Houston Jones.. he looked good in spring, and is producing in games. Has good run blocking as well.
    RJ is back to his regular self, has a clutchness to him.

Marquis Hamilton... honestly, i know a lot of you are wondering what is up with him. He wasnt too impressive this spring, for what reason, i dont know. He just wasnt producing and showing the coaches what they wanted to see. The way i see him is more of a game time player than a practice warrior. I hope and think he will get his chance to show that he can make plays and work his way back into our system.
    We are sitting very well at WR right now.

Special teams, I love to see blocked punts and field goals, i hope it keeps up, We stack our block units with talent, hopefully we can overcome some big 12 lines and get in there.
    Ter'ran Benton is playing sound, All of the freshmen getting time right now are playing sound ball. Ter'ran had a nice strip last night, that is the difference between being a good and a phenominal player.
    A-Rob is hurting right now, I think he will play saturday, but i dont think he will be 100%. With his mentality he will give it his all, but we need JJ to dust off and make plays against Iowa again this year. Jason Harris may get some carries soon too.
    Jason Scales has been dissapointing me, Atleast he is playing well on special teams, making a contribution.
    WE looked like butt trying to run the ball last night, and it was the backs that werent doing part. We werent hitting the hole hard and getting cyclone yards, This will be stressed this week in practice.

Leading up to the Iowa game, If this were in Ames, id have no problem saying that we would beat Iowa convincably.
    I am a little worried with our Defense Play right now, but as long as our offense can keep putting points on the board, special teams play well, and turnovers come our way. We will be ok for now.
    I like the attitude of this team, People are complaining about personal fouls, and saying that these kids arent diciplined. if only the individual that said that knew...
    The way i see it, Our guys are playing agressive, more so than in the past. A much better way to play than on the heels.

Keys to beating Iowa,
    Good QB play from both, Consistancy

Running game, Someone needs to take ownership and get it done this week. We are 3 dimensional right now with mobile qbs and a decent running game/passing game. we can not lose a dimension and become more predictable by not being able to run the ball (like we have in the past)

Special teams, good returns, possibly a block, and good coverage. little things, add up
    Defense needs to tighten up all around, very erratic right now.

We are progressing and I like our chances, The guys, the coaches, WILL be ready for Iowa. Its just a matter of executing the plan.

Sorry for the long post

P.S. I got an email from Ed Droste today.... "Cyclones 2-0"

Last edited by ISUclones33; 09-07-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 41

Re: Thoughts

Thanks for the nice insight. I think Jason Scales mainly got the majority of snaps because of his ability to pass block and coaches trusted him not to put the ball on the turf.

Agree that we need JJ to get up to speed ASAP. I don't know if we will see Harris next week since he did not even get in the game this week during garbage time (disappointing to me).

Hopefully ARob will be 98%+. I think he and JJ can be more than enough to play winning FB, with Jason Scales getting some carries. ARob seems to bring a better RB passing option than JJ or Scales.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ARob is a better option for the pass, he rarely gets tackled by the first guy.

Another thought, Our bootleg pass is done for awhile, we used it a lot in first 2 weeks, and Kent State had it figured out right away.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Someone mentioned that A Rob was limping on the sidelines last night. If he still has a noticeable limp, then I wouldn't count on him for the Iowa game. He might give it a go, but won't see much time.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUclones33 View Post
    Another thought, Our bootleg pass is done for awhile, we used it a lot in first 2 weeks, and Kent State had it figured out right away.
    Chizik and staff are probably setting up a play for next week. Look for us to line up and show bootleg pass then run the play the opposite direction sometime, probably on a key 3rd down play.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Shh, ofcourse thats in the works

playbook is only half open

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    Someone mentioned that A Rob was limping on the sidelines last night. If he still has a noticeable limp, then I wouldn't count on him for the Iowa game. He might give it a go, but won't see much time.

Yeah, i would say he may be around 85% depends how his week is.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

After the first two games, my concerns:
    1. Def. Line
    2. Linebackers
    3. Safeties
    We've given up some major yardage to inferior opponents, and need to shore up the middle on defense. Nice post 33.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 200

I don't agree with our DL/DT's not producing. In our defensive scheme, I think they are supposed to fill gaps/occupy linemen so the LB's can make the tackles. I think vs. Kent St we had times when we over-pursued and times when we didn't fill the hole timely.

I'd also say our RB's were not so much at fault as were the OL. I expect changes as well as pushing for a new attitude come next Saturday.

H Jones has really stepped up. Marquis remains an enigma this year - hope he responds (he made some great grabs last year). Be nice to have A Rob & McDowell for Saturday, too.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Did it seem to anyone else like the RB's would run right into the pile where a hole was supposed to be and more or less pile in? Instead of trying to find a different option laterally. I mean if you're going to pile on and gain 0 or -1 might as well try to hit it a different way.

Or maybe that's not where the hole was and they were just doing it. I could be wrong but just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that a few times.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 108

. . . Was it just me, or was it pretty loud in JTS last night?
    Great to hear. 49,000-plus is a terrific crowd, given season ticket sales and the economy and gas prices. Excellent.

Jamie, responding to a question last Monday, said the stadium plans as they are at the moment would increase seating from 43,500 (lost 2,000 seats to the suite and club seating renovations, he said) to about 57,500 (iirc) with a south end zone bowl and upper deck.

If we can hold 55,000 now (including hillsides), I can't imagine that the time won't come soon when we'll sell out an expanded stadium.

Linebacker play has not been stand out either. Bibbs does an excellent job for us though. . . . a little worried about our LB zone coverage. . . .
    Last February Coach McFarland said that the linebackers will be fast. Are they speedy but lacking experience, or do you believe something else is going on here?

Arnaud is keeping things steady and calm for us, but Bates will pounce on an opportunity soon. ( our playbook is only 1/2 open)
    I sure like that Austen is completing 77 percent of his passes so far. And steady and calm is outstanding for a quarterback, great to hear. On-field leadership is so critical.

Houston Jones, Houston Jones.. he looked good in spring, and is producing in games. Has good run blocking as well.
    In the 2006 spring game I thought Houston demonstrated fine athleticism and pass-catching ability. Surprised, kinda, he hasn't played until this fall. I like this kid a lot, it's terrific to see him make his move!

Ter'ran Benton is playing sound, All of the freshmen getting time right now are playing sound ball. Ter'ran had a nice strip last night, that is the difference between being a good and a phenominal player.
    Many here will recall the meltdown last January and February when so many of we fans thought the recruiting class was going to be a bomb, but most of us were heartened on signing day when the signatures started to come in.

The effectiveness of the rookies so far, imho, tells us our coaches can identify and recruit PLAYERS. And the number of rookies playing suggests the program is landing kids who are more athletic than some of our upperclassmen. Another terrific sign.

The rumor was circulating last February that our football video guy (forgive me, I don't recall his name) who, among other duties, puts together the recruiting highlight tape said that the 2008 class was the fastest and most athletic class he's seen in his dozen years in Ames.

His observation appears accurate based on what we're seeing so far this season.

Even less today than in the past, I could care less how many stars our commits have and what their football resumes APPEAR to be like. I trust our coaches, they're butt-kickers on the recruiting trail.

WE looked like butt trying to run the ball last night, and it was the backs that werent doing part.
    Are you saying that the O-Line performed adequately? (Hope so.) I figured the O-Line would have to do a lot of growing up this fall, it's so young and the guys haven't been playing together for long.

Has LJ won the PR job, do you believe?

Thanks.

Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by delt4cy View Post
    Did it seem to anyone else like the RB's would run right into the pile where a hole was supposed to be and more or less pile in? Instead of trying to find a different option laterally. I mean if you're going to pile on and gain 0 or -1 might as well try to hit it a different way.

Or maybe that's not where the hole was and they were just doing it. I could be wrong but just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that a few times.

mmhm

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

It was rockin last night'.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

to cy valley, On Linebacker play, over pursuit is a problem right now, they are flying around trying to make a big play, but a good back, or QB has proven that they can make one move and get inside.

The o-line isnt bad at all, it will take some time for them to gel, but its one of the better lines we have had in the last few years.

I think we will see LJ return a lot of kicks and punts, he does well. However Mike Oconnell sure found his calling, he looked good back there as well. Im just patiently waiting for someone to bust one.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 796
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 50

The o-line isnt bad at all, it will take some time for them to gel, but its one of the better lines we have had in the last few years.

Going into the season I thought the o-line was going to be a strength. I did not see any of the game last night as I was at a wedding.

I was on record with my buddies stating this would be ISU's best O-line since 2000. I know there is time to come together yet but I may have gotten ahead of myself.