Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Positives/Negatives from the Game

Here is my take on the positives and negatives from the Kent St game. This is just my opinion and would like to hear other peoples point of view on how they saw things. Let's start with the positives.

POSITIVES:

We won, and by 20. And we scored 48 points in doing so. When was the last time we scored over 40 points in back to back games? It felt like forever since we even scored 40 once. That was good to see.

Special Teams. What can you say. We are a 1,000 times better than we were last year at special teams. Mahoney is doing a great job kicking off and other than one time, when did a phenomenal job on coverage. We have a lot of speed on our coverage unit and they seem to do a great job staying in there lanes. Leonard Johnson feels like he is about to break one for a TD at any moment (hopefully next week!). Brandtner also did a great job punting. Is it me or is he kicking the ball twice as high as last season? Very impressive. And we also made a 48 yd field goal. Big props to Mahoney for coming in and stepping up right away. I was interested to see how he would do after he missed his first FG, and he responded as well as you could ask. Also when was the last time we had 2 blocked punts in a game? Great job and gave us a ton of momentum

Arnaud. After his first fumble he was pretty much perfect. If you really watch him, you will see how great he is of getting rid of the ball at the perfect time. That pass he threw to Sumrall on the sidelines for a gain of around 20 was a thing of beauty. He threw it before Sumrall had even made his out move. Great game and you could tell the coaches liked him in there when the game was getting close.

Bates. He made plays with his feet but none more impressive than his last run. I thought for sure he was taking it to the house but it was an impressive run none the less. Made a nice TD pass to Sumrall and threw a near perfect ball to Jones.

Sumrall. I will come out and say I was wrong on Sumrall. I had written him off as nothing more than a quick slant WR who couldn't make the big play and I am wrong. Could have easily had 3 TD's if Bates hadn't barely over thrown him. Great routes and a Great GAME!!

I am convinced we would have lost this game last year. We took advantage of THEIR mistakes instead of them taking advantage of OUR mistakes. I really think this team is figuring out how to win and what it takes. I was very happy with that. We made the plays when needed to, such as the forced fumbles late in the game

NEGATIVES:

Line play. Especially the D line. I am not expecting them to dominate, but I am expecting them to get some pressure/stop the run against a MAC team's O Line. Jarvis got through the line of scrimmage w/o having to make anyone miss on just about every play. We couldn't rap up the QB and just got flat out beat. The interior D line is the biggest concern of the team by far. As far as the O line goes, I think they did a pretty decent job in pass coverage, but should be embarrased by their lack of push in the running game. Once again, this is a MAC team we are playing. I am not expecting 6 YPC but we had 2.5 YPC before Bates ripped of that long run. And when your QB easily leads your team in rushing, it is definitely a concern. Have to get better.

RB. I am one of the few who thought this would be a weakness for the offense heading into the season and I still think so. Obviously not having ARob hurt us but it was still a poor performance by Scales/Bass. Scales just lowers his head and runs straight. There were many times in which there was a cutback lane that he did not take. Would have liked to see more carries go to Harris or Bass.

Tackling. To many attempts at arm tackles. Let to many big plays happen by not rapping up.

Personal Fouls. Most of these have been stupid and we need to be smarter. Positive side is that we have had barely any penalties besides these.

Play Calling. I am not one of the usual fans who yells at them to pass every play. For the most part I thought the coaches called a great game yesterday, but there were 3 drives that left me scratching my head. First, I have never seen a team run the same screen play 4 (maybe 5) times in the same drive. It killed our drive and resulted in zero points. Also we had two 3 and outs in which we ran it every play. The most questionable was when we did an off tackle run on 3rd and 7. Once again I thought the coaches did a good job calling plays but this is me being a typical fan I guess.

Safety Play. Twice they got sucked in and were not back to help out.

Was it just me or did the QB's turn the wrong way twice when handing off? Both Bates and Arnaud turned the wrong way and then had to just tuck it and run. That should never happen.

That is that. Overall good win.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Positives/Negatives from the Game

Great synopsis.

I have nothing to add other that the concession and restroom situation on the east side is abysmal.

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Here is my take on the positives and negatives from the Kent St game. This is just my opinion and would like to hear other peoples point of view on how they saw things. Let's start with the positives.

POSITIVES:

We won, and by 20. And we scored 48 points in doing so. When was the last time we scored over 40 points in back to back games? It felt like forever since we even scored 40 once. That was good to see.

Special Teams. What can you say. We are a 1,000 times better than we were last year at special teams. Mahoney is doing a great job kicking off and other than one time, when did a phenomenal job on coverage. We have a lot of speed on our coverage unit and they seem to do a great job staying in there lanes. Leonard Johnson feels like he is about to break one for a TD at any moment (hopefully next week!). Brandtner also did a great job punting. Is it me or is he kicking the ball twice as high as last season? Very impressive. And we also made a 48 yd field goal. Big props to Mahoney for coming in and stepping up right away. I was interested to see how he would do after he missed his first FG, and he responded as well as you could ask. Also when was the last time we had 2 blocked punts in a game? Great job and gave us a ton of momentum

Arnaud. After his first fumble he was pretty much perfect. If you really watch him, you will see how great he is of getting rid of the ball at the perfect time. That pass he threw to Sumrall on the sidelines for a gain of around 20 was a thing of beauty. He threw it before Sumrall had even made his out move. Great game and you could tell the coaches liked him in there when the game was getting close.

Bates. He made plays with his feet but none more impressive than his last run. I thought for sure he was taking it to the house but it was an impressive run none the less. Made a nice TD pass to Sumrall and threw a near perfect ball to Jones.

Sumrall. I will come out and say I was wrong on Sumrall. I had written him off as nothing more than a quick slant WR who couldn't make the big play and I am wrong. Could have easily had 3 TD's if Bates hadn't barely over thrown him. Great routes and a Great GAME!!

I am convinced we would have lost this game last year. We took advantage of THEIR mistakes instead of them taking advantage of OUR mistakes. I really think this team is figuring out how to win and what it takes. I was very happy with that. We made the plays when needed to, such as the forced fumbles late in the game

NEGATIVES:

Line play. Especially the D line. I am not expecting them to dominate, but I am expecting them to get some pressure/stop the run against a MAC team's O Line. Jarvis got through the line of scrimmage w/o having to make anyone miss on just about every play. We couldn't rap up the QB and just got flat out beat. The interior D line is the biggest concern of the team by far. As far as the O line goes, I think they did a pretty decent job in pass coverage, but should be embarrased by their lack of push in the running game. Once again, this is a MAC team we are playing. I am not expecting 6 YPC but we had 2.5 YPC before Bates ripped of that long run. And when your QB easily leads your team in rushing, it is definitely a concern. Have to get better.

RB. I am one of the few who thought this would be a weakness for the offense heading into the season and I still think so. Obviously not having ARob hurt us but it was still a poor performance by Scales/Bass. Scales just lowers his head and runs straight. There were many times in which there was a cutback lane that he did not take. Would have liked to see more carries go to Harris or Bass.

Tackling. To many attempts at arm tackles. Let to many big plays happen by not rapping up.

Personal Fouls. Most of these have been stupid and we need to be smarter. Positive side is that we have had barely any penalties besides these.

Play Calling. I am not one of the usual fans who yells at them to pass every play. For the most part I thought the coaches called a great game yesterday, but there were 3 drives that left me scratching my head. First, I have never seen a team run the same screen play 4 (maybe 5) times in the same drive. It killed our drive and resulted in zero points. Also we had two 3 and outs in which we ran it every play. The most questionable was when we did an off tackle run on 3rd and 7. Once again I thought the coaches did a good job calling plays but this is me being a typical fan I guess.

Safety Play. Twice they got sucked in and were not back to help out.

Was it just me or did the QB's turn the wrong way twice when handing off? Both Bates and Arnaud turned the wrong way and then had to just tuck it and run. That should never happen.

That is that. Overall good win.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Great synopsis.

I have nothing to add other that the concession and restroom situation on the east side is abysmal.
    Couldn't agree more. My cousin left the stadium and went to the john's outside faster than I did in the stadium

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Arnaud. After his first fumble he was pretty much perfect.
    Except for his second fumble, which he at least got back.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am convinced we would have lost this game last year.
    We did lose this game last year.

Just giving you a hard time. Good write-up, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Let's shore up the lines a little bit and take it to the hawks next week!

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Remember we only rushed 3 d lineman most of the game. It's tough to put pressure on anybody when you're only bringing that many people.

I hated it when people questioned play calling for DMac and I feel the same way for Coach Chizik. It's his team, he's the coach and gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions. If he's right, he's a genius and if he's wrong people call for his head. I'd say he's done a few things right with the wins and offensive totals we're putting up.

Agree with most everything else you stated.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Maybe I missed it, but is there any word on why Devon McDowell didn't play last night?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by timdcy View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but is there any word on why Devon McDowell didn't play last night?
    Undisclosed injury, I believe is what it said in the rag.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    We did lose this game last year.

Just giving you a hard time. Good write-up, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Let's shore up the lines a little bit and take it to the hawks next week!
    Ha, I meant a close game like that in which we made some mistakes and couldn't get a stop

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Remember we only rushed 3 d lineman most of the game. It's tough to put pressure on anybody when you're only bringing that many people.

I hated it when people questioned play calling for DMac and I feel the same way for Coach Chizik. It's his team, he's the coach and gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions. If he's right, he's a genius and if he's wrong people call for his head. I'd say he's done a few things right with the wins and offensive totals we're putting up.

Agree with most everything else you stated.
    I hate it to and will never yell anything at the game such as "pass the ball!!" But, I was just typing my thoughts on the game.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

I agree with the RB synoposis. I would just take Scales out as much as possible, and keep him on special teams. Hopefully ARob is back soon.

Special teams were awesome. Mahoney (even with the one missed FG) is just fantastic.

Last edited by Angie; 09-07-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    M 7/09

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let me add this. I love the 2 QB system! I was concerned about it going into the season but have grown to love it. I think fans should stop saying, " I think Arnaud/Bates should be the starter over this guy. " They both bring something different to the table and both should play. I just hope the fans don't try and make this into a QB controversy and start acting like Hawk fans. So far we haven't but I sat by some people yesterday who were starting to act like it a tad.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Couldn't agree more. My cousin left the stadium and went to the john's outside faster than I did in the stadium
    I agree. I saw the men's line and jetted out of the stadium to a kybo. They HAVE to keep the construction going if they want to grow the fanbase.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I agree with the RB synoposis. I would just take Scales out as much as possible, and keep him on special teams. Hopefully ARob is back soon.
    Id like to look into seeing what Scales longest run was in his career so far. I dont think ive ever seen him break a long one. hes know as Jason Snails in my circle.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

2 quick reasons why I'm optimistic about next week's game

1. Sacking Stanzi/Christianson will seem easy compared to sacking Edelman. I couldn't believe the plays that Edelman made last night. It's been a long time since I've seen a quarterback as elusive and as smart as Edelman. While I was frustrated that our guys couldn't bring him down, it was one of those games where you simply have to give credit to the opponent - he was outstanding on several plays.
    2. I think we'll fare much better against a bigger, stronger, but SLOWER running back like Sean Green (sp?) than we fared against Jarvis, an incredibly small (5' 5") and quick running back who just happens to be the leading returning rusher in the nation.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 613
    Given: 2,469

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Id like to look into seeing what Scales longest run was in his career so far. I dont think ive ever seen him break a long one. hes know as Jason Snails in my circle.
    Great question!! I think it looks like 24? Go to Stats here:

ESPN - Jason Scales Stats, News, Photos - Iowa State Cyclones - NCAA College Football

Looks like he has averaged about 3 yards per carry over his career...

M 7/09