Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 275,042, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,513
    Points
    275,042
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Pickens Plan on Energy

    Makes sense to me....? If one of the richest, most powerfull guys in America thinks it will work, why not try....

    the 1st 4 minute video tells it all.....

    PickensPlan


    Last edited by coachdags; 09-05-2008 at 08:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 61,609, Level: 76
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,450
    Points
    61,609
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 0

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    YES! The best thing is he didn't make it political.


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 451,342, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,836
    Points
    451,342
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    I like it. Save our natural gas for cars and find new ways of producing electricity. We may have to give up our tahoes, but think of how our economy would explode if we were not sending our $$ away to terrorist countries.


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 876,714, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,196
    Points
    876,714
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,632
    Given: 2,126

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I like it. Save our natural gas for cars and find new ways of producing electricity. We may have to give up our tahoes, but think of how our economy would explode if we were not sending our $$ away to terrorist countries.
    Our economy and not our buildings, you mean?

    That would be a good thing.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 48,217, Level: 67
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burnsville, MN
    Posts
    3,016
    Points
    48,217
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 19

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    I believe it is a better plan than Obama or McCain have



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 18,344, Level: 41
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Irresponsible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    705
    Points
    18,344
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I believe it is a better plan than Obama or McCain have
    Off to THE CAVE we go...


    Dean Wormer was wrong. Fat, drunk and stupid was a great way to go through college (all five years of it).

  7. #7
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    YES! The best thing is he didn't make it political.
    Agreed, and that's also what makes it credible - in addition to an oil baron stating that oil isn't in the future best interest of the country.

    There was an expose on him and a brief on this plan in Newsweek a few weeks back. What I also liked is the fact he made no effort to hide the fact he intends this to be a money making venture. Not the usual b.s. of "I just want to do the right thing" (not that that would be a bad thing/reason. Just disingenuous, more often than not).

    Edit: Now I've watched the video. I was very surprised to learn that 20% of our electic is produced via nuclear energy. I would've thought much lower (<10).

    And he also didn't mention that he, his company and/or investors are placing a few billion into that Texas windfarm project and the distrubution network for it.

    What I'm a little confused by is how the 25% of natural gas can get shifted to transportation use inside of 10 years? (double edit. Ah, answered by Dryburn down below).


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 09-05-2008 at 09:45 PM.

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 194,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,058
    Points
    194,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 6

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    I think he has some great ideas. Just not sure how I feel about this though because he is one of the investors in a 12 billion dollar wind farm (the world's largest) being built in Texas, and his hedge fund is heavily invested in natural gas companies, and he sits on the company board of one of the largest manufacturers of natural gas for vehicles technology.

    So, obviously, this is a good idea for the planet and this country. I would just feel better about it I guess if he wasn't standing to make so much money from what he is pushing. That's all.



  9. #9
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I think he has some great ideas. Just not sure how I feel about this though because he is one of the investors in a 12 billion dollar wind farm (the world's largest) being built in Texas, and his hedge fund is heavily invested in natural gas companies, and he sits on the company board of one of the largest manufacturers of natural gas for vehicles technology.

    So, obviously, this is a good idea for the planet and this country. I would just feel better about it I guess if he wasn't standing to make so much money from what he is pushing. That's all.
    I agree.

    But I guess we can take into account that he's probably still neck deep in oil - and oil certainly isn't doing poorly right now. In fact, if he were to pull this off, it would reduce oil demand, drive down prices and hurt that part of his portfolio.

    And somebody has to lead the way on these technologies. I don't know about the car part, but the wind one is pretty much proven - just not funded. So if it works and he gets rich off it. Win win, in my book.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 37,841, Level: 59
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,637
    Points
    37,841
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 9

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    What sort of mpg (or whatever unit) does natural gas give for cars? How about the distribution infrastructure? Can normal gas stations get it out easily? How much will it cost me on a monthly basis compared to gas?

    I like it.....but I have questions.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 194,633, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,058
    Points
    194,633
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 6

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I agree.

    But I guess we can take into account that he's probably still neck deep in oil - and oil certainly isn't doing poorly right now. In fact, if he were to pull this off, it would reduce oil demand, drive down prices and hurt that part of his portfolio.

    And somebody has to lead the way on these technologies. I don't know about the car part, but the wind one is pretty much proven - just not funded. So if it works and he gets rich off it. Win win, in my book.
    I don't think he is concerned about the price of oil going down. He will still make money there.

    Here is a link for you to an article about the other items. His hedge fund is BP Capital. The natural gas for vehicles company is Clean Energy Fuels, Inc. It is the largest company of its type in this country.

    Again, I think this is a good thing. Just wish he weren't making so much money at it I guess.


    T. Boone Pickens could gain from his energy plan, but so might we - Los Angeles Times



  12. #12
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    What sort of mpg (or whatever unit) does natural gas give for cars? How about the distribution infrastructure? Can normal gas stations get it out easily? How much will it cost me on a monthly basis compared to gas?

    I like it.....but I have questions.
    I like to think as an amateur tree hugger, that I pay a decent amount of attention to these issues.

    But I can say that I've really heard of natural gas cars as a viable or front-running solution.

    Plenty of industrial equipment (fork trucks and such) runs off gas (I think). Have no idea the efficiency. But supposedly it's clean and cheap(er). As for infrastructure, natural gas distribution is plentiful in much of the country already for heating purposed. I guess it's a question of mechanism to feed the car. Initially tanks wouldn't be hard to accomplish, although probably inconvenient. Later, some sort of refill could be established.

    I guess I have to think natural gas would be easier and quicker than electric or hydrogen solutions.

    ???????



  13. #13
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    I don't think he is concerned about the price of oil going down. He will still make money there.

    Here is a link for you to an article about the other items. His hedge fund is BP Capital. The natural gas for vehicles company is Clean Energy Fuels, Inc. It is the largest company of its type in this country.

    Again, I think this is a good thing. Just wish he weren't making so much money at it I guess.


    T. Boone Pickens could gain from his energy plan, but so might we - Los Angeles Times
    Good info. Thx.

    Somebody is going to make money off the leap to cleaner fuels - or getting off foreign dependence. I see what you're saying. It does have a certain "conflict of interest". But he's as good as anyone. And I guess he would deserve the reward as he seems to be one of the very few uber-rich people taking the shot.

    What we REALLY have to worry about is closer to home. IF he does get even more rich off this - how the hell are we going to keep up with Oklahoma State?



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 73,701, Level: 84
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,211
    Points
    73,701
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 14

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I agree.

    But I guess we can take into account that he's probably still neck deep in oil - and oil certainly isn't doing poorly right now. In fact, if he were to pull this off, it would reduce oil demand, drive down prices and hurt that part of his portfolio.

    And somebody has to lead the way on these technologies. I don't know about the car part, but the wind one is pretty much proven - just not funded. So if it works and he gets rich off it. Win win, in my book.
    It wouldn't reduce demand for his oil though. Since I believe his holdings are domestic.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 275,042, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,513
    Points
    275,042
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

    Re: Pickens Plan on Energy

    from part of his plan.....

    Natural gas vehicles (NGV) are already available and combine top performance with low emissions. The natural gas Honda Civic GX is rated as the cleanest production vehicle in the world.

    According to NGVAmerica, there are more than 7 million NGVs in use worldwide, but only 150,000 of those are in the United States.

    Cheaper

    Natural gas is significantly less expensive than gasoline or diesel. In places like Utah and Oklahoma, prices are less than $1 a gallon. To see fueling stations and costs in your area, check out cngprices.com.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. West Virginia
  • November 29, 2014
  • 11:00 AM