Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Cyclone Fans Reaction to Jay Norvell

Unbeleivable some of the comments i've been reading here regarding Jay Norvell:

Please. I was one of DM's biggest critics, but I don't understand the point of firing the guy to hire one of his former assistants. Sorry, but I don't see what this guy brings to the table. IMO this is a tough sell to the fanbase.
    It would be a tough sell, then again, if there's an AD that could sell it - it's Pollard.
    But, I'd be surprised at the move because it is a D-Mac assistant and I think Pollard is trying to create a completely new start for ISU football - just as he did with basketball. If that is in fact his philosophy for the change - hiring someone like Norvell (or Loney, etc) would go against that.
    Makes me wonder why he can't stay in one place for an extended period of time.
    Look at the progression or lack there of. Never been advanced by people who he worked for. Chose to follow Callahan...that says a lot to me. Is not trusted by Callahan to call plays. Had a poor reputation when he was at ISU.
    No chance he comes back in my mind. If he does it is a huge mistake and will set JP's facilities plan back perhaps beyond repair.
    My good God, Norvell is an offensive wizzard who has worked with the best of the best in the NFL, was part of the coaching staff at Oakland that lead the NFL in total offense in 2002, has been to the Super Bowl, and is intsrumental in putting together offensive game plans at Nebraska, yet you guys are doing what ISU fans do best...whine and complain because :gasp: Norvell has ties to Nebraska & Iowa and once was an assistant in Ames 10 plus years ago.

Hate to break the news to you, but you should be estatic that Jay Norvell is even thinking about Iowa St

Personally, I think Norvell can do better than Iowa St. Norvell has the fire and ambition to be head coach and if he decides to stay at Nebraska for one more year, his stock is going to go through the roof in 2007.

As a Nebraska fan, I would hate to see Norvell leave Nebraska because of the knowledge of the West Coast Offense, experience, leadership, and recruiting traits that he has, yet all you so called fans can do is tear the man down because he has ties to Nebraska & Iowa .

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: Cyclone Fans Reaction to Jay Norvell

sounds like someone has a man-crush...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

garn - you're going to lose a lot of respect with that tactic, stating ISU fans are whining that Norvell was a Iowa/Nebraska guy. Not once in any of the quotes you pulled was that mentioned. The only thing close was someone mentioning they don't want a former Cyclone assistant.

Every other comment was directed at Norvell himself and his expected abilities. You also only took parts of quote in certain instances - thanks for taking a few things out of context.

If you and Callahan would hate it so much to see Norvell leave, why are you, your coach and some of your fans beefing him up so much to ISU?

You're by far not the first poster that roots for the Huskers that I've seen do something similar to what you did here. There are a couple posts on CN like this too.

I've also meandered over to the Husker board to see what the fans are saying about Norvell.

I'm not impressed.

Recruit
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

While we don't know yet if Norvell is the guy, this somewhat reminds me of the McDermott hire. When everyone found out it was McDermott and not Jeter, most people went crazy thinking it wasn't a very good hire. A few weeks later, reality hit and realized that it was a great choice. If Norvell were to get hired I think the same thing would happen.

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Norvell?? I don't think even JP could sell it. Maybe at a DII level first but not at ISU.

If he is the hire, so be it. pollard Knows the next hot seat is his if he blows this one.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zmjames6 View Post
    While we don't know yet if Norvell is the guy, this somewhat reminds me of the McDermott hire. When everyone found out it was McDermott and not Jeter, most people went crazy thinking it wasn't a very good hire. A few weeks later, reality hit and realized that it was a great choice. If Norvell were to get hired I think the same thing would happen.
    Yeah, I've said similar things regarding the entire search in general. With this one especially, there are so many options out there - that the fans are divided amongst all of them basically. So when the choice is made, some will be happy and some won't be. Hopefully like basketball, everyone will be happy with the choice soon after.

I know this much, no matter who Pollard hires short of Barny Fife, I'm going to support the coach 110% from the second it's announced.

Until then, we'll just keep discussing who's the best fit. For me it's not about putting huge knocks on every prospect, I have concerns about all of them that are rumored around the job. I'm just balancing my concerns with what I think our best upside potential is.

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    Personally, I think Norvell can do better than Iowa St. Norvell has the fire and ambition to be head coach and if he decides to stay at Nebraska for one more year, his stock is going to go through the roof in 2007.

As a Nebraska fan, I would hate to see Norvell leave Nebraska because of the knowledge of the West Coast Offense, experience, leadership, and recruiting traits that he has, yet all you so called fans can do is tear the man down because he has ties to Nebraska & Iowa .
    If he can do better than ISU than why has no one else interviewed him for an HC position? Also, what kind of great recruiter is he when he has only gotten 7 guys in 3 years at NU?

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Norvell will not excite the student body, I'm aware of that for sure. My counterparts will hear "Nebraska/Iowa" guy and be turned off immediately.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    Norvell will not excite the student body, I'm aware of that for sure. My counterparts will hear "Nebraska/Iowa" guy and be turned off immediately.
    I agree. There is poll posted about who peole would like to see as HC and Norvell is getting very few posts despite a decent resume.

Garn, you may think Norvell can do better than ISU but ISU fans think we can do better than Norvell. Doesn't sound like a good fit.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm really not buying the "he's from Nebraska/Iowa and we don't want him" bit. Personally, I think that should be a plus for him - being a Midwest guy. If you discredit a coach just because they come from one of your arch rivals - I think you're being a bit silly...as garn mentioned. And that's the only part of his post I'll agree with him on, even if he couldn't manage to quote what his real beef was.

For me, it's other things about Norvell that turn me off.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was one of the people who graded the McDermott hire as a C. After he proved he could recruit himself out of a corner, I raised the grade to a B+. I didn't get season tickets, but I will be at a lot of games. If he shows the progress that I think he will, I'll have season tickets next year.

There are certain candidates for the football position that would have me buying season tickets on hope alone. Norvell is not one of them. I would rate him as a hire at a C- or D+. He would have to start getting some ink from some quality recruits for me to open my wallet.

He has never been a head coach, or even called the plays at game time. Plus, even if he's a great X's and O's guy, you need some quality recruits to execute them. We just got rid of a guy who could get some decent recruits, and was a decent strategist in game planning. However, he was a sub par game time coach. I don't want to trade him for an unproven recruiter and an unproven coach.

I would take Kirk Ferentz, or any coach from any rival, if I thought they were the best man for the job. I truly don't like the idea of a Norvell hire based upon his resume.

Whitey

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Well excuse me, I didn't go back far enough in this thread

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...?t=3610&page=3 to find these:

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE
    With all due respect, Dan McCarney coached with or for everyone on that list. If ISU is not going to go in a different direction than the Hayden Fry tree, why fire Dan McCarney?
    Not to mention, i've seen other references to the fact that Norvell once coached under Dan McCarney, which makes people uneasy.

What do you want Callahan to say? Norvell is a horrible coach? Norvell has made it perfectly clear many times while in Lincoln that his goal is to be a head coach.

You'll rot your brain reading what the dopes on HuskerPedia and the premium boards of Nebraska's Scout and Rivals site are saying, come on over here to to see what fans who support the Huskers think:

http://bbs.bigredboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22921

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    garn - you're going to lose a lot of respect with that tactic, stating ISU fans are whining that Norvell was a Iowa/Nebraska guy. Not once in any of the quotes you pulled was that mentioned. The only thing close was someone mentioning they don't want a former Cyclone assistant.

Every other comment was directed at Norvell himself and his expected abilities. You also only took parts of quote in certain instances - thanks for taking a few things out of context.

If you and Callahan would hate it so much to see Norvell leave, why are you, your coach and some of your fans beefing him up so much to ISU?

You're by far not the first poster that roots for the Huskers that I've seen do something similar to what you did here. There are a couple posts on CN like this too.

I've also meandered over to the Husker board to see what the fans are saying about Norvell.

I'm not impressed.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If Norvell is hired it will be because five other guys turned down the job. If not, Pollard is the idiot...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The majority of fans are saying they don't want Norvell for reasons other than the Iowa/Nebraska and D-Mac connections. Not only here, but on CN too. Sure, a handful of people won't like Norvell because of his former connections. You'll have that type of thought process in every bunch.

I'm fully aware of the Big Red Board...why do you seem to think I'm not? I've read all of the boards at various times, I can't see where one board is composed of better fans than the other. Every board has it's "good/bad" fans.

I also have a few close friends that are big Husker friends - connected to the program. Not huge connections, but they know enough of what's going on.

The more I hear stuff out of Lincoln on Norvell, the more I think the Huskers are trying to "sell" us a coach.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    Well excuse me, I didn't go back far enough in this thread

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...?t=3610&page=3 to find these:

Not to mention, i've seen other references to the fact that Norvell once coached under Dan McCarney, which makes people uneasy.

What do you want Callahan to say? Norvell is a horrible coach? Norvell has made it perfectly clear many times while in Lincoln that his goal is to be a head coach.

You'll rot your brain reading what the dopes on HuskerPedia and the premium boards of Nebraska's Scout and Rivals site are saying, come on over here to to see what fans who support the Huskers think:

http://bbs.bigredboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22921
    I don't get it. Why would Husker fans on those boards not like Norvell while Husker fans on this other board do? When we asked Texas board members what they thought of Brewster and Chizik, they were all pretty much saying they were great coaches and would hate to have to play against either of them. Why don't we get the same overall reaction from Husker fans (except you and a few others). When fans are saying "you can have him", it doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)