Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Current Hiring vs. McDermott Hiring

I am getting increasingly nervous about the football hiring as time goes on. Everyone points to JP's recent success in 'taking command', and hiring prowess. I will give him all the credit in the world for the Morgan firing, but JP gets a lot of credit for the McDermott hiring when in fact McDermott essentially fell in his lap. So much as been said about JP pulling the trigger and getting his man before others could, but from what we have all heard, McDermott sought out JP - not the other way around.

I guess what I am trying to convey is that I am increasingly more nervous about his hire because JP may not get lucky again and have the perfect candidate fall in his lap w/o much effort. What also complicates this is that people are expecting a 500 ft homerun this time, and not just a ground-rule double - expectations are gigantic now vs. somewhat moderate for the basketball search since we weren't replacing an ISU institution.

What does everyone else think about this? Is JP really skilled at hiring coaching talent, or has he just got lucky so far?

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Current Hiring vs. McDermott Hiring

JP knows this hire is make or break for him, he is on the next HOT SEAT if the football hire goes SOUTH!!! You got to BELIEVE !!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,990
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 36

I guess I've always been wondering this myself, I've just been afraid to ask because of the support for JP. I've just seem so many posts, "I'll trust whatever JP does!" It's not like I don't support him, I guess I just don't have the blind love for him that will make me love and trust every decision he makes without question or an explanation. It just seems that so many people trust in the guy so much, they are almost willing to call him unfallible. Maybe this is warranted, I don't know for sure. I was wondering though, why so many people felt this way. What was it that he did in the past that makes people think he can't make a wrong decision or go in a direction we may not like?

I honestly don't mean this to be a jerk. It's a serious question I have had. As I said, I like JP a lot. A whole lot. And really see no reason to question his decisions. I guess I would just like to know what it is that some people see in him to give him such high status.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Good post and I agree. This is a much tougher hire than Gmac was and he got way to much credit for that hire. He should get more credit for the Morgan fire though as the program was going nowhere under him. This hire will make or break his legacy at ISU. Thats why i think it needs to be a big name guy. Even if the guy leaves in 4 or 5 years, he will still get the recruits in and then we can get another guy to coach them. I just don't see Norvell getting any recruits

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Football I think is harder to find your guy because it's such a big part of your athletic budget so you have to be certain you have the right guy. Also, our basketball job on a national level is much more attractive than our football job so it's easier to find good candidates for basketball at ISU. At least in basketball we have had some fairly consistent success compared to football where it's still a project in the works.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by seneca4MVP View Post
    Good post and I agree. This is a much tougher hire than Gmac was and he got way to much credit for that hire. He should get more credit for the Morgan fire though as the program was going nowhere under him. This hire will make or break his legacy at ISU. Thats why i think it needs to be a big name guy. Even if the guy leaves in 4 or 5 years, he will still get the recruits in and then we can get another guy to coach them. I just don't see Norvell getting any recruits
    If this "big name" is Harbaugh and he flops at ISU then JP will get criticism for hiring a name and not a qualified candidate.

To be honest none of the candidates being mentioned right now really impress me. If I had to pick 1 I would probably lean toward Norvell just because he has the most expirience and qualifications than anyone. He's been with 2 NFL teams and also coached under some pretty good FB coaches on top of that. I think he's a safer pick than Harbaugh right now since Harbaugh has yet to coach at a big time university and get some scholarship recruiting expirience.

What I'm really hoping for is that there is another name or 2 that is in the mix that we have not heard about yet that would be better a better option than anyone being mentioned currently.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

If Jamie hires a football coach using his criteria, ie winning season, bowl game, winning big 12 north etc etc.

That's a pretty high standard and frankly if Jamie gets this hire wrong, both Jamie and the new coach will be leaving in five years!

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Gmac did not fall into JPs lap. Yes, from what I know GMac called Pollard to express his interest in the job, but Pollard already had him on his short list to talk to anyway. Don't let hawk fans or the media (same thing in Des Moines) get it in your head that Iowa State "lucked into" GMac. We got him because he WANTED to be at Iowa State and we WANTED him to be at Iowa State.

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 672
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by uthaman View Post
    Gmac did not fall into JPs lap. Yes, from what I know GMac called Pollard to express his interest in the job, but Pollard already had him on his short list to talk to anyway. Don't let hawk fans or the media (same thing in Des Moines) get it in your head that Iowa State "lucked into" GMac. We got him because he WANTED to be at Iowa State and we WANTED him to be at Iowa State.
    you kinda proved my point here. JP did not have to work overly hard at convincing GMAC to come to ISU. he may have been on a short list, but if GMac wouldn't have called Pollard and showed some serious desire to be the HC, we would be with Jeter right now.

My point was simply that everyone seems to be incredibly impressed with the hiring job that JP did for basketball, and I am just saying that the apparent perfect hire was knocking on his door to get the job and he didn't have to seek him out and sell him on the program and why he should come to Ames. You're right, he WANTED to be at ISU which made JP's job pretty simple in hindsight (except for the firing of Morgan, which I do give him a ton of credit for). This time around (at least from what we've heard), the perfect candidate is not kicking down JP's door dying to get to Ames & ISU.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

I'm getting anxious to hear who it might be, but I guess I don't mind if it takes a little bit of time. In all honesty, this is a big decision, as you guys have said, and JP needs to make sure he goes about this correctly. I trust he'll be able to sell ISU and pick the right candidate.