Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Kent State Shut Down By BC

Boston College blanked Kent State last Saturday 21-0. Kent State could only muster 260 total yards. The QB's for Kent went 13-21 134 yards and 2 INTs.
    I think that this looks good for us for this coming Saturday! Jarvis only had 51 yards in the game. What looks odd to me is he only got 11 carries. That is a 4.6 average! That is pretty decent. Why did they not give him more carries in a low scoring game? Did he get hurt? Their QB had 16 rushes for only 32 yards.
    On a better note for Kent they did average 43.5 yards per punt!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

Re: Kent State Shut Down By BC

JARVIS is VERY good. I watched and he WORKED the BC D on several carries.

He was not hurt as he was playing until the end. Kent St had the ball right near the goalline late and pulled an ISU and dropped the ball. Score really was more 21-7.

I wouldn't put a cent of my own money on either team. Should be a GREAT game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 10

I found this to be interesting:
    Attendance: 10788 in Browns Stadium. That must have looked very bare

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,068
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    I found this to be interesting:
    Attendance: 10788 in Browns Stadium. That must have looked very bare
    That is BAD! It is even worse considering that they were hosting a top ACC school in Boston College!!

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Jarvis may have averaged 4.3 yrds/carry with 11 caries for 51 yards, but his long was 22 - so take that one away and you get 10 caries for 29 yards or 2.9. I think we have a decent shot at winning big in this game, but we MUST take care of the football. If we are positive in the turnover battle in this game I see us winning by 2 TDs at least.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    That is BAD! It is even worse considering that they were hosting a top ACC school in Boston College!!
    Without even trying you explained why the attendance was similar to that of a high school football game... They played an ACC team. The ACC sucks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

I will be really excited if we win 35-7
    I will happy with just winning.
    I will be disappointed if its really close.

My prediction -------- 31-17

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by synapticwave View Post
    We MUST take care of the football. If we are positive in the turnover battle in this game I see us winning by 2 TDs at least.
    Keys to the game! But I completely agree with that statement. I think they will make us pay for any mistakes of that nature.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've stated this since before the SDSU game, and even more since, but I think this game will be a great barometer for how far we have come/have left to go.

This is a Kent State team that returns most of their starters from last year and their nucleus in Edelman and Jarvis. As much as we don't like to admit it a game against a MAC opponent that beat us last year will show if Chizik's system is taking hold with the players and coaches.

If we come in and walk all over them it'll show we have a dangerous team on our hands. If we come in and play them like we did SDSU in the 2nd quarter for the whole game then we have reason to be concerned. Especially with trips to IC and Las Vegas the next two weeks.

Too soon for a full prediction, but I would say don't read too much into how well Kent State did on D last week. BC sat on the ball to end the 1st half and did next to nothing in the 2nd. I think with our trio (maybe foursome) of running backs we'll pile on the yards and control the clock.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

Kent State is worse than Toledo from last year. If we lose, it will be a very long season.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

That was one brutal, boring game to watch. I can't tell if BC's defense was that good, or Kent State is really have some OL issues this year. Mainly because I was bored into a coma.

You would think the return of Jarvis and Edelman would spell a lot of trouble for us, but Kent State did not show anything (and at home no less).

I think it goes to show that line play is possibly more important that skill position play, and Kent State seems to be struggling on OL. Bodes well for the good guys this Saturday.

I think Kent State will see a completely different ISU squad compared to last year. Not that our personnel are leaps and bounds better, but our players know our system and can execute it leaps and bounds better.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    I've stated this since before the SDSU game, and even more since, but I think this game will be a great barometer for how far we have come/have left to go.
    What i think....regarding our performance and our direction.

Well in watching the game:

I know everyone including myself loves Bates athleticism....But, AA looked so calm, cool, collective back there - i never saw Meyer look that comfortable in the pocket (Maybe thats because he never had a pocket). But, from the two headed monster of our QB's i think we need to continue to utilize this system because it gives the defense one more thing to prepare for - while not changing the system. AND - MARK THIS, with PB in the game, it will result in a long pass play sooner rather then later. I think defenses will cheat too much when he enters and our O will make them pay with a long pass play to one of the wr.

I thought our RB's did an excellent job of getting to the hole and working hard after contact. I think there's some big plays out there for our RB's its just a matter of time before they hit one. Waiting to see the screen passes -my guess is you will see that in the Iowa game planning to take advantage of their youth and aggressiveness.

WR - Excitement, excitement, excitement. I know we didn't even hear or see Marquis, but, that could be game planning, that could be disguise, that simply could be good defense. Based on what ISU33 said, he's been in a funk lately, hope he gets his head on straight. He better because it appears at first glance that Darks and Johnson are the real deal. I look at Darks and the guy runs good routes and gets open - AA or PB will love that. Johnson needs to be consistent because we've seen the great, now show me the average. Ho hum....Sumrall has a decent game and nothing jumps out at you - pure consistancy. But, one thing that did on one of AROB's runs, i actually saw #2 (Johnson) put a DB on his back with a downfield block, now thats getting the job done!!!!

OL - business as usual. I thought they had a decent game with a new group together. I will be interested to see this group against KSU and then Iowa, these will be much stiffer fronts then SDSU. I will be interested to see how the holes develop this week after a week of watching game tape and seeing problem areas.

DL - this group played a very active game. But, as Chizik mentioned, several times DL and LB were out of place in order to make a play - stay in your lanes. Problem with that is if they don't make the play it goes the other direction for a while. We cannot afford those mistakes against KSU. All in all, very active group with athleticism and talent.

LB - this group needs to improve on the run defense imo. I thought several times the reaction was a bit slow and the play was being made a yard or two downfield of where it should have been initiated. From a pass defense this group did an awesome job. More time and i think you will see more of Mr. Bibbs, he just comes off as a playmaker.

DB - I wonder if sitting Bell wasn't a message that he needs to get his act in gear, you cannot rest on last years accomplishments. I would not be shocked if he was not starting again this week and then did so against Iowa. As with last year, i thought the DB's left a few too many openings on third down and teams will convert given those opportunities. Losing Banks is a huge hit, i really like him, reminded me of B. Sanders and thats saying something. Our DB's will have to have a better game against KSU and definitely against Iowa for us to have a chance at winning - i think that Banks and now Bell give us that chance with Johnson and Benton adding depth that we didnt have last year.

Kicking was more then i expected. Kickoffs were good to great and his poise for a freshman kicker was evident from the first kick. His approach, his kick, his follow through, his reaction - everything said to us: "Don't worry, i got this"....that is such a relief, i feel if its a close game and this kid comes in i don't have to cover my eyes and pray!!!!

All in all, this team did what it should have, now its time to prove itself. This week is a little tougher conditions, and then the following week in Ia City will be two great steps in the right direction in determining what this team is capable of. Come out of it 3-0 and we have something to be hyped about going into Kansas game, if we're 2-1 it will be what people expected and if were 1-2 we will all be wondering what happened.

But one thing we need to remember, last year this team was making huge strides from week to week as players understood the system and became familiar with what needed to be done. This team is young, that will remain the case and if were winning, it will help maintain the level of intensity and effort.

Good luck fellas......

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

WR - Excitement, excitement, excitement. I know we didn't even hear or see Marquis, but, that could be game planning, that could be disguise, that simply could be good defense. Based on what ISU33 said, he's been in a funk lately, hope he gets his head on straight. He better because it appears at first glance that Darks and Johnson are the real deal. I look at Darks and the guy runs good routes and gets open - AA or PB will love that. Johnson needs to be consistent because we've seen the great, now show me the average. Ho hum....Sumrall has a decent game and nothing jumps out at you - pure consistancy. But, one thing that did on one of AROB's runs, i actually saw #2 (Johnson) put a DB on his back with a downfield block, now thats getting the job done!!!!
    On the block in question I actually thought to myself that A-Rob was screwed once he got around the corner because we had a WR blocking for him. Shows what the last few years have been like...

Needless to say, but I was very pleased and surprised when Sed proceeded to put the guy on his back and spring A-Rob for more yards.

DL - this group played a very active game. But, as Chizik mentioned, several times DL and LB were out of place in order to make a play - stay in your lanes. Problem with that is if they don't make the play it goes the other direction for a while. We cannot afford those mistakes against KSU. All in all, very active group with athleticism and talent.
    I make no claims to be a coach but I somehow think this would be a bit of mixed message sending. Obviously to make great plays you have to take chances, which may or may not include leaving your lanes and assignments. However, based on what Chizik was saying we were either doing too much of that or not doing it well enough.

I just find it hard to have a coach saying "stay in your lanes" but also say "make big plays". They're not mutually exclusive by any means, but they're somewhat different schools of thought.

That said, and this popped in my head while writing the above, I do remember how maddening it was last year when the kids I was coaching wouldn't stay on their assignments and something would blow up because of it. Regardless of the play they may have made previously. Guess I can see Chizik's point. I just hope they preach it well enough to understand the difference between keeping assignments and taking smart chances.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    On the block in question I actually thought to myself that A-Rob was screwed once he got around the corner because we had a WR blocking for him. Shows what the last few years have been like...

Needless to say, but I was very pleased and surprised when Sed proceeded to put the guy on his back and spring A-Rob for more yards.
    A strange phenomenon, wasn't it?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The game will be close because our defensive front seven is not as strong as last year. Edelman struggled when he was being pressured against BC and we only got one sack against SDSU. On the other hand, we should see major improvements from week 1.

I still think we win but I agree that this game will be a great barometer.