Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 15,893, Level: 38
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    385
    Points
    15,893
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    I know, I'm a bit early, but I'm going to the Kent State game, so I don't have to worry about that one. I've been trying to get tickets to the game through various channels, but I very much doubt I'm going to be successful. I've only been in Iowa City since the end of February, so I haven't had to try and find a place to watch an Iowa State game of any kind as of yet. So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 23,431, Level: 46
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Swanson10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    Points
    23,431
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?
    Your in IC that is everywhere!


    NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

  3. #3
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    I know, I'm a bit early, but I'm going to the Kent State game, so I don't have to worry about that one. I've been trying to get tickets to the game through various channels, but I very much doubt I'm going to be successful. I've only been in Iowa City since the end of February, so I haven't had to try and find a place to watch an Iowa State game of any kind as of yet. So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?

    From my personal experience, I'd avoid the bars. Just straight up annoying. I'd meet up with some Cyclone fans in a tailgating lot with a dish to watch the game.

    Otherwise, I'd just invite some people over to my place (if you know people) and watch it on TV....

    It takes a lot of energy to put up with the Hawks fans, even if you aren't looking to start anything. If you aren't going to be with a group of people you know, it's probably better if you don't go out until after the game (if ISU wins)



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 38,128, Level: 60
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 922
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    whirlybirds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, IA
    Posts
    2,106
    Points
    38,128
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    From my personal experience, I'd avoid the bars. Just straight up annoying. I'd meet up with some Cyclone fans in a tailgating lot with a dish to watch the game.

    Otherwise, I'd just invite some people over to my place (if you know people) and watch it on TV....

    It takes a lot of energy to put up with the Hawks fans, even if you aren't looking to start anything. If you aren't going to be with a group of people you know, it's probably better if you don't go out until after the game (if ISU wins)
    yep. theres no better place to watch the game than your place in iowa city


    There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 15,893, Level: 38
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    385
    Points
    15,893
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    While I thank you for the advice, it's not particularly helpful to me. I don't know any Cyclone fans in Iowa City and I don't have cable. I just can't justify spending the money. So, basically, the bars are my option.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 28,640, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isu_oak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    963
    Points
    28,640
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    While I thank you for the advice, it's not particularly helpful to me. I don't know any Cyclone fans in Iowa City and I don't have cable. I just can't justify spending the money. So, basically, the bars are my option.
    Sorry I'm busy for the iowa game, but let me know if you want to go somewhere to watch a different game. I need an excuse to get away from the wife every now and again.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 16,846, Level: 39
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    762
    Points
    16,846
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 24

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    I watched the Iowa- Texas game at Old Chicago...It's got a bar but not really a bar atmosphere so you could probably survive there. Plus they have good food.



  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 15,893, Level: 38
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    385
    Points
    15,893
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Old Chicago was flooded pretty badly and from what I've heard, does not plan on reopening.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 23,431, Level: 46
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Swanson10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    Points
    23,431
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    you could try the new BWW in Coralville if you want.


    NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 16,846, Level: 39
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Altoona
    Posts
    762
    Points
    16,846
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 24

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    Old Chicago was flooded pretty badly and from what I've heard, does not plan on reopening.

    There goes my good advice



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,794, Level: 66
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,794
    Points
    45,794
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    If you're gonna watch it at a bar in Iowa City, head to The Deadwood. It's smack in the middle of downtown, on Dubuque Street. The owners are ISU alums and Cyclone fans, and are known to sometimes be generous to their Cyclone guests during the Iowa game...
    I took this from the other ISU/Iowa thread for you.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 28,640, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isu_oak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    963
    Points
    28,640
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson10 View Post
    you could try the new BWW in Coralville if you want.
    There is also a brand new bar out by the Oakdale campus that I know has DirecTV. The place just opened up a week ago and doesn't even have a sign out yet, so I don't know the name. I doubt many people are even going to know about it by the 13th. If you want more details, send me a message.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 119,283, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    A-town Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Huxley
    Posts
    5,557
    Points
    119,283
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 173

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    I'm going to be in Iowa City that weekend for the game, but don't have tickets. But will be there to tailgate and will need a place to watch the game, either a bar/restaurant/or someone's tailgate on here that will have dish set up?

    Any ideas?



    “One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

    "I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.
    @AtownCY

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    As I mentioned in another thread (thanks, JHudd!), go to The Deadwood. It's on Dubuque Street downtown, it's owned by a couple of Cyclones, and it'll be open. It's far enough away that stadium traffic won't be a problem, but close enough to the action that you can still stay parked and run around and extoll the glories of the Cyclones when we win.


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 28,640, Level: 51
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    isu_oak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    963
    Points
    28,640
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

    Re: Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread (thanks, JHudd!), go to The Deadwood. It's on Dubuque Street downtown, it's owned by a couple of Cyclones, and it'll be open. It's far enough away that stadium traffic won't be a problem, but close enough to the action that you can still stay parked and run around and extoll the glories of the Cyclones when we win.
    And now you don't have to worry about the notorious Deadwood smoke. Not to get off topic, but I wonder if that has helped or hindered Deadwood's business?



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM