Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

Jeff Kent Likely Out For Season

Dodgers' Kent to undergo knee surgery - Baseball - NBCSports.com

The Dodgers have been absolutely killed with injuries this season. On the surface this looks big, but I'm not so sure I'm disappointed (for the team's chances, of course I'm disappointed for Kent).

He's a bat and an RBI producer that we need, but he's also a total drain on team chemistry. Any other Dodger fans or MLB fans in general that have any thoughts on this?

Maybe I'm looking through Dodger Blue glasses when I think this through. But the Dodger's 8 game losing streak came directly on the heels of his rant about Vin Scully and Manny Ramirez.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Re: Jeff Kent Likely Out For Season

I think the severity of the loss will depend on who they have to play there instead. Who will be getting the starts?

Getting Kent out of the cleanup spot is good for the Dodgers, in my opinion, but not if you're going to replace him with a .600 OPS.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Today, Blake Dewitt is going to get the start at 2nd base. He started the season at 3rd and tore it up, but tailed off dramatically - thus the acquisition of Casey Blake. They also promoted a guy from Triple-A Las Vegas (whose name escapes me at the moment). As it is we've got Garciapara playing - and very poorly - at shortstop replacing Furcal, and not hitting well.

I'm still old school and think you HAVE to be tough up the middle.

It's too bad that the plethora of quality players in the OF doesn't include anyone that can handle the 2nd base position. It would be nice to have all of those bats in the line-up.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by djkent01 View Post
    Maybe I'm looking through Dodger Blue glasses when I think this through. But the Dodger's 8 game losing streak came directly on the heels of his rant about Vin Scully and Manny Ramirez.
    I know there's a lot of Jeff Kent hate around here, but blaming Kent for the 8 game slide is a little (or perhaps a lot) overboard.

The Dodgers need some disciplined hitters in the line up, especially for the spot in front of Manny. Martin couldn't handle it, but Kent could.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 803
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I know there's a lot of Jeff Kent hate around here, but blaming Kent for the 8 game slide is a little (or perhaps a lot) overboard.

The Dodgers need some disciplined hitters in the line up, especially for the spot in front of Manny. Martin couldn't handle it, but Kent could.
    Maybe it is too much to blame him for the 8 game skid. But the Dodgers went from the thick of the division race to next to last in the division last yeat after Kent went on one of his tirades.

In any case, I guess I'm just hoping that a couple of players will step up and that team chemistry, and maybe a little leadership from Maddux, will offset the loss. The real bottom line is that I'm bummed. We pick up Blake and Manny, looks like Furcal is coming back off the disabled list - and then it starts falling apart again.

Just being a fan and hoping for any thread of hope to hang my hat on.