square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 804
    Given: 3,296

CF Golden Rule - Discussion

While this is a policy of which we wanted to remind everyone, we wanted to give everyone a chance to rationally discuss it. We did want to post a brief reminder to keep things civil and respectful, or we'll have to close the thread.

We appreciate the diverse membership we have at CycloneFanatic. In an effort to be respectful to all visitors, we cordially request that all visitors from other schools be treated with respect. Let's show them the welcoming, mature nature of Cyclone fans, and not flame them. We have many quality Hawk, Husker, and other fans here who rationally post counterpoints to our arguments - this makes for a respectful, spirited rivalry to both.

Please make sure to report posts where members are obviously here just to troll. By treating them with kindness and respect despite their actions, it's much easier for the moderators to deal with them.

Additionally - while we appreciate members of other schools here at CF, we also remind those members that CycloneFanatic will accept and respect those who post respectfully, even if it is something they don't agree with. Posts meant to aggravate/agitate will not result in respect.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 432
    Given: 275

Re: CF Golden Rule - Discussion

Ok, we'll move it here. :)

I'm all for outsider views...being a bit of an unbiased fan is something I enjoy. Getting discussions going with fans from Iowa, Nebraska, KU, etc is awesome (no KSU fans though, I draw the line there).

However, when someone is clearly just doing nothing but trolling - expecting others to not fire back at them and/or lobby for 'em to get the boot isn't really a reasonable expectation.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Ok, we'll move it here. :)

I'm all for outsider views...being a bit of an unbiased fan is something I enjoy. Getting discussions going with fans from Iowa, Nebraska, KU, etc is awesome (no KSU fans though, I draw the line there).

However, when someone is clearly just doing nothing but trolling - expecting others to not fire back at them and/or lobby for 'em to get the boot isn't really a reasonable expectation.
    I will absolutely agree with you that there are trolls for the sake of being trolls. The point of the first post was twofold:

1) If we "kill them with kindness," it's a lot easier for the mods to take action against them for trolling. It becomes much harder when they have been repeatedly insulted - it makes it a lot harder to not see merit in the argument that they were just defending themselves.

2) As the third paragraph states - you have to give respect to receive it.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 432
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    2) As the third paragraph states - you have to give respect to receive it.
    Recently there have been one or two Iowa fans that have shown up here only to cause troubles - period. They showed no respect for ISU nor anyone here.

However, contrary to your comment about showing respect in order to receive it - members were told to be polite toward these..."members".

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Recently there have been one or two Iowa fans that have shown up here only to cause troubles - period. They showed no respect for ISU nor anyone here.

However, contrary to your comment about showing respect in order to receive it - members were told to be polite toward these..."members".
    You have to admit that anyone who has "Iowa" or "Hawk" in their username has an enormous target on their back for many posters. We're simply asking to just be the bigger person and report those trolling posts (especially if it's a first post), and not to just blindly hate on someone because they're from a rival school.

There is a lot of value in having counterpoints in our forums - just as we all tend to feel that there is nobody better prepared to knock a Husker or Iowa fan off of their pedestal than us (), there are times when we all need to have hypocrisies illuminated or to be brought back down to reality.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Unbeliveable....

Now we are arguing about the "Golden Rule".......?

Which I believe, my parents taught me..." to treat others how you wish to be treated."

I believe that is what CF is asking for ALL POSTERS.....

P.S. Sure would make Moderating a lot more fun then babysitting

Last edited by coachdags; 09-01-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 40

I reported this new Iowa fan. He started sprouting off and swearing in his posts. Yes, they are filtered but it doesn't take much to read between the lines.

I have to admit that no one gave the guy a chance and pushed him over the deep end extremely quickly. That being said though, I hope he is warned about his language and reminded he is on a rival site and people will treat him like a troll, especially when he deserves it.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    I reported this new Iowa fan. He started sprouting off and swearing in his posts. Yes, they are filtered but it doesn't take much to read between the lines.

I have to admit that no one gave the guy a chance and pushed him over the deep end extremely quickly. That being said though, I hope he is warned about his language and reminded he is on a rival site and people will treat him like a troll, especially when he deserves it.
    I believe he learned the error of his ways and has since tried to apologize.....

Thanks for the help in reporting.....