Cyclone42

Need advice about on-line purchasing

Take this purely hypothetical situation. Let's say I order something from an online merchant, a hard drive or a portable DVD player or something. Now let's say that merchant sends me two of this item, in separate packages, instead of one, even though I ordered just one and they billed me for just one. Would it be my responsibility, under law, to return the extra item?

Let's also pretend that, after they properly billed me for the one item, the credit card I used was "lost" and they couldn't charge it for the second one.

Addict
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Re: Need advice about on-line purchasing

I don't know the legalities of it, but do you thinking keeping the second one would be the right thing to do?

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I don't know the legalities of it, but do you thinking keeping the second one would be the right thing to do?
    Good point. You may not be legally bound to pay, then again you might, if you accept delivery of an item, ordered or not, you're probably required to arrange for a return at their expense or pay for the item. Even if you don't, is it ethical to keep something you don't pay for?

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I make an attempt to contact them, and let them know that if they provide a pre-paid way for you to return it, you would be happy to.

There's a good chance they might just tell you to keep it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

First, if you are going to go the the trouble of "losing" (by losing I assume you mean canceling) a credit card in order to keep the extra electronic devise, there is something wrong with you.

Second, they can still report you and it will affect your credit score.

Third, I've had similar things happen and many times when I call them (it depends on the vendor) they will either just let me keep it, or they will give me credit as a thank you for sending it back. Good things happen when your honest.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    First, if you are going to go the the trouble of "losing" (by losing I assume you mean canceling) a credit card in order to keep the extra electronic devise, there is something wrong with you.

Second, they can still report you and it will affect your credit score.

Third, I've had similar things happen and many times when I call them (it depends on the vendor) they will either just let me keep it, or they will give me credit as a thank you for sending it back. Good things happen when your honest.
    Roger that.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Alum_2000 View Post
    I make an attempt to contact them, and let them know that if they provide a pre-paid way for you to return it, you would be happy to.

There's a good chance they might just tell you to keep it.
    I will probably do that. It is the ethical thing to do.

I don't actually have either one, yet. What happened is that I ordered this thing, and the next day they provided me with a UPS tracking # by e-mail. Then a day after that, I got another e-mail message, with a second, totally different, tracking #. The package in the first tracking # is on schedule for delivery on Tuesday, the second one is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Same weights, same destination for both packages, so the only conclusion I can draw is that it is the same item, twice. Could be that my order was divided into two packages, but then wouldn't the weights be different?

I did call their customer service and told someone about it, giving this person both tracking #s. This person thought that one of the tracking #s was given to me incorrectly, and is actually being shipped to someone else. But I find it hard to believe that two people in Council Bluffs ordered exactly the same item from the same company within a few days of each other.

I'll see next week if I'm right...

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 6

I heard about a friend of a friend who had a 50" plasma tv delivered and then later that week another one showed up. Apparently he told the delivery people it was for the bedroom since there was already one just like it sitting in the living room.

Really it's going to come down to how you feel about the situation. I know I couldn't live with myself by keeping the extra. Especially if I was doing something like canceling a CC or profiting by selling the extra.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Legally, I think the company is out of luck. If they could demand payment or the item back, then companies could run a scam by randomly shipping things to people, claiming it was a mistake, and demanding the item back or payment. The only thing I think they could do is refuse to do future business with you until you return it or pay them for it.

Ethically, you have to give it back (assuming they pay for return shipping). Unless they just tell you to keep it.

Realistically, I bet they only shipped one to you. Either it was divided into two packages and they didn't get the weights right, or one of the tracking numbers was given to you by mistake.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 673
    Given: 1,565

I would contact them to make them pay the shipping as some have mentioned. I don't think there is anything wrong with canceling the credit card, however, because if it was their mistake, you should not be charged for it. It would be different if you were trying to pull a fast one.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 673
    Given: 1,565

Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Legally, I think the company is out of luck. If they could demand payment or the item back, then companies could run a scam by randomly shipping things to people, claiming it was a mistake, and demanding the item back or payment. The only thing I think they could do is refuse to do future business with you until you return it or pay them for it.

Ethically, you have to give it back (assuming they pay for return shipping).

Realistically, I bet they only shipped one to you. Either it was divided into two packages and they didn't get the weights right, or one of the tracking numbers was given to you by mistake.
    Legally, I am pretty sure you are right. This prevents companies from shipping items you didn't order and forcing you to pay for them.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    I would contact them to make them pay the shipping as some have mentioned. I don't think there is anything wrong with canceling the credit card, however, because if it was their mistake, you should not be charged for it. It would be different if you were trying to pull a fast one.
    Yeah, I'm really not up to anything unethical. I'm trying to pay off that card right now, so I can cancel the card completely. I did that simply to protect myself. Something like this happened to me when I was a teenager about 25 years ago, using my mom's CC, and she got billed twice. (luckily, it was only a $15 or so item, but still...) I don't want this happening again.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 487

You can always refuse delivery of the second item...

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

I have a similar story from this month when I bought a big ticket item.

I placed a order for a item for instore pick up earlier this month. I called the store to see if the item will be available that day and they said if I come in they will have it ready. So I went to the store and picked it up.

The next day I get a e-mail saying that my item is ready for instore pickup. Then later that day I get another e-mail that says my local store is out of stock.

I wait a day to see what happens and nothing. There is a $200 mail in rebate on this item, which I needed to send in but my online receipt was incomplete so I couldn't use it. I called customer service. They explain to me that for whatever reason the store ignored the online order and just rang up the item in store and charged my credit card twice. He also told me the store did not ring up all the items in the package and pretty much gave me my mail in rebate with out me having to mail in for it.(the rebate was for the in home installation).

He says he will need to cancel the online order and the instore order and re ring it up for me to get a receipt so I can send in my mail in rebate. I suggested that if the store had already given me the rebate on the item and we just leave the charge from the store, and cancel the online order and call it good. He said that was fine with him.

Credit card bill comes a few days ago and neither charge is on the bill.

I had every intention on paying for this item, didn't try to scam them when they had the mistake(I could of told them to ship me the same item again) I went by what their customer service rep told me.
    What do you all think about this situation?

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    Could be that my order was divided into two packages, but then wouldn't the weights be different?
    I'm not sure the weights are a good way to tell what's in a package. We had a company fib about the weights so they could send something through UPS, even though the packages were a good 50+ lbs more than what they said. If the company does all of the packaging themselves instead of going into a UPS store, I beleive they can just put the weight on the packages themselves, and many times could even just pick a number so they don't have to weigh each package.

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!