Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

US Open Tennis

There probably isn't a lot of tennis fans out there but I was watching some coverage of the US Open and there was this big controversy involving Andi Roddick and the guy he was playing Santoro. Andi was up two sets and serving for the match up 30 love and he hit a 140 mph serve into the body of Santoro. Santoro ducked and got out of the way but then refused to play the last point because he felt Andi tried to hit him. Andi apologized after the match and said he didn't do it on purpose but I guess I don't understand what the big deal is. Is there some unwritten rule in tennis that says you can't hit a hard serve into the body of your opponent? I would hit it at the person every time if I could hit it 140 mph. I don't understand what Andi did wrong even if that was his intention.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: US Open Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    There probably isn't a lot of tennis fans out there but I was watching some coverage of the US Open and there was this big controversy involving Andi Roddick and the guy he was playing Santoro. Andi was up two sets and serving for the match up 30 love and he hit a 140 mph serve into the body of Santoro. Santoro ducked and got out of the way but then refused to play the last point because he felt Andi tried to hit him. Andi apologized after the match and said he didn't do it on purpose but I guess I don't understand what the big deal is. Is there some unwritten rule in tennis that says you can't hit a hard serve into the body of your opponent? I would hit it at the person every time if I could hit it 140 mph. I don't understand what Andi did wrong even if that was his intention.
    I kind of thought that was the point? To hit a serve that the other guy can't return? Whether it be away from him or right at him I don't see the difference, this guy just needs to suck it up. If it was me I'd try to hit them every damn time if it meant I could win the Open.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Yeah, maybe i have been doing something wrong the 12 or so years I have played. When I get an overhead I try to hit it at the person too. I don't necessarily try to hit the person but if I hit it at them they have to worry more about getting out of the way than returning it.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

ESPN article said the complaint from the other guy was because Roddick was up 6-2, 6-2, 5-2 and serving. I don't think it is a big deal either. He got out of the way.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

As an enthusiastic tennis player, and not a big fan of Roddick, I will say Santoro's reaction was pathetic. He gave up! Getting out of the way like that, then becoming angry about it, is embarrassing behavior even in a B league.
    BTW, I've been on the receiving end of beat-downs like that, and I would be more insulted by a player "taking it easy" on me than almost anything else.
    Like I believe John Thompson once said, you truly give your opponent your utmost respect by delivering to them your best effort until the game (or match) is completed.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

I don't know much about tennis but that seems to be a pretty weak complaint. It is not like he was 5 feet away from Roddick and Roddick slammed it into his face.