Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"> [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] Per Cedar Rapids Gazzette

CEDAR RAPIDS - Starting July 15, for two months a billboard in Cedar Rapids will please a large number of people and irritate a large number of others.

It will show Iowa State football players holding high the Cy-Hawk Trophy they captured with a 23-3 win over Iowa last September.

In red letters against a yellow background, the billboard will read ‘‘It’s a CYCLONE STATE.’’ That can be interpreted as in-your-face to Iowa in the two months leading to the Sept. 16 renewal of the ISU-Iowa series in Iowa City. Or it can be interpreted as Iowa State celebrating itself. ISU Athletics Director Jamie Pollard says it’s the latter. But as Dizzy Dean eloquently said, it ain’t braggin’ if it’s true.

The billboard will be the only one in the state. It will be situated off I-380, appropriately, south of 33rd Avenue SW.

‘‘We just wanted to be able to do something for the folks in Cedar Rapids,’’ Pollard said last night after the Cedar Valley Cyclone Club’s annual banquet at the Cedar Rapids Marriott. ‘‘When I came out here last fall for my first visit in Cedar Rapids (after taking the Iowa State job last October), they said at times we feel in the eastern part of the state that all we ever get is the Hawkeyes. We want to know that we matter.’’

Along with his four bestknown coaches - football’s Dan McCarney, men’s basketball’s Greg McDermott, women’s basketball’s Bill Fennelly and wrestling’s Cael Sanderson - Pollard literally took a busload of Iowa State people to Cedar Rapids. Before his coaches spoke to the ISU fans who filled the hotel’s ballroom, Pollard gave a stemwinder in which he insisted Cyclone sports and their supporters must ‘‘push, push, push.’’

That, of course, takes money, money, money. But it takes more, something Pollard may be the person to provide. It requires demanding on more than rolling into town once a year, telling everyone how glad they are to be here with such great fans and how hard they’re working over in Ames. It takes firmly saying things will get better in ISU athletics because the man in charge insists on it.

‘‘We’re a small ma-and-pa store trying to compete in the big world,’’ Pollard told Thursday’s gathering. ‘‘We’re going to get to be the big world someday, and we’re pushing to do that, but we’ve got to do some things we haven’t done in the past.’’

One is selling 30,000 football season tickets. Iowa State is close to hitting that mark. Another is making Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum better. Those are on Pollard’s immediate to-do list. He wants the south end zone of Trice bowled in for a better atmosphere, and he wants a renovated Hilton, as well as a practice facility for the basketball and volleyball teams.

He wants these things yesterday, not in 2015. You have to push, push, push, which Pollard has already done by deciding wrestling and men’s basketball needed changes at the top. He wasted nary a nanosecond in exchanging Bobby Douglas and Wayne Morgan for Sanderson and McDermott.

‘‘My motto has been ‘If not now, when?’ ’’ Pollard said. ‘‘I don’t know how to lose. I hate losing. I didn’t come here to lose. I came here to win.’’

That is what Iowa State needs as much as generous donors and upgraded facilities. It needs to shed inferiority complexes, be they in comparison to Iowa or to some big-moneyed Big 12 programs. It needs the same attitude Sanderson displayed on the wrestling mat as an unbeaten Cyclone.

It needs to be aggressively upbeat. McCarney is and always has been fire-and-brimstone. But never before has an Iowa State AD matched McCarney’s intensity at the podium.

‘‘I think that people are responding to someone standing up and saying this is what we want to do and let’s not be afraid to go for it,’’ Pollard said. ‘‘I think Iowa State has a very conservative, modest background. We never pound our chest and say ‘Let’s do it.’ It’s OK to set a goal. You can’t do it if you don’t say what you want to do. You should be proud of it.’’

Pollard was plenty proud as he stood before the Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series championship trophy, which ISU gained with triumphs in six of nine head-to-head events against Iowa in 2005-06, including double-digit wins in men’s and women’s basketball.

‘‘(Outgoing Iowa men’s athletics director) Bob Bowlsby never thought that thing was going to leave his home,’’ Pollard said. ‘‘We’re never going to give it back.

‘‘It’s a Cyclone state, folks&#33;’’

</span>

TOM

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Awesome. I&#39;m a CR/Marion resident and this a step in the right direction. Pollard for President in &#39;08&#33;

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,938
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 19

Wink

that.is.awesome

that is sure to turn a few heads...

anyone have a nice quality color pic of it so i can use it as a background?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    i will have to make sure and bring my hawk love&#39;n brother-in-law by that. im sure he will appreciate it. haahaha.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    I love this move and feel it is ISU finally being on the offensive which typically fans have not been comfortable doing in general. My only question is "How long before the first group of hawk students deface the billboard?" Something that bold and cocky will always bring out the third grade educated students of EIU&#33;

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CY ST8T &#064; Jun 7 2006, 12&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I love this move and feel it is ISU finally being on the offensive which typically fans have not been comfortable doing in general. My only question is "How long before the first group of hawk students deface the billboard?" Something that bold and cocky will always bring out the third grade educated students of EIU&#33;

[/b][/quote]

We just place a nice little hidden camera there and maybe we&#39;ll have a nice article in the paper about Iowa students getting in trouble with the law. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbronco7sc &#064; Jun 8 2006, 01&#58;49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

We just place a nice little hidden camera there and maybe we&#39;ll have a nice article in the paper about Iowa students getting in trouble with the law. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbronco7sc &#064; Jun 8 2006, 01&#58;49 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

We just place a nice little hidden camera there and maybe we&#39;ll have a nice article in the paper about Iowa students getting in trouble with the law. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]

I dont need a hidden camera to do that [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

God Bless America

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Exclamation

I&#39;ve already heard hawk fans saying how they plan on pulling that thing down....and all I could think is "wow, do these schools (fans) really hate each other that much?"

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    On the topic of billboards, on the drive form KC to STL there is a huge Mizzou billboard with each letter written on a seperate billboard and then a tiger at the end. It was pretty impressive, coming over a hill and seeing it spread over half a mile. Perhpas Iowa State could do something like that coming into Des Moines on 80 or closer to Ames on 35. Dont have to copy them exactly, but the more ISU stuff up and around the more hopefully the neutral fans will start to sway. Just an idear

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmilty &#064; Jun 15 2006, 12&#58;04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> On the topic of billboards, on the drive form KC to STL there is a huge Mizzou billboard with each letter written on a seperate billboard and then a tiger at the end. It was pretty impressive, coming over a hill and seeing it spread over half a mile. Perhpas Iowa State could do something like that coming into Des Moines on 80 or closer to Ames on 35. Dont have to copy them exactly, but the more ISU stuff up and around the more hopefully the neutral fans will start to sway. Just an idear [/b][/quote]

I&#39;ve seen that once before- it is really very cool. It was a great idea on Mizzou&#39;s part. I really think JP got the right idea when he announced the billboard in Cedar Rapids. If he started throwing interesting stuff like that up in and around the DM metro, as well as on northbound I-35, I think it would have good results.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    The great part about this billboard, IMO, is not the actual billboard but the media exposure it has gotten. I hope JP has a few more "controversial" tricks up his sleeve. The more the merrier.

Walk On
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    The great part about this billboard, IMO, is not the actual billboard but the media exposure it has gotten. I hope JP has a few more "controversial" tricks up his sleeve. The more the merrier.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 301

Lightbulb

It would be even better if UNI suddenly put one up aboutrEIU on the other side of the highway east of Iowa City.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 818
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crash_zone &#064; Jun 15 2006, 09&#58;50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> I&#39;ve already heard hawk fans saying how they plan on pulling that thing down....and all I could think is "wow, do these schools (fans) really hate each other that much?"
    [/b][/quote]
    Yes, they hate us that much. The first thing I thought when I heard about the billboard was how long it was going to last before Hawk trailer trash (I know that&#39;s redundant) would do something.