Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The sun, moon and stars are all aligned

Time to be a little fanatical - every year I dream of a 9-10 win season. This year the "sports gods" are shining on the underdog! Stuck in Nebraska and their delusional fans, I decided to have some fun with them and wrote this for my newspaper column.

For the sports fan, 2008 has been the year of the underdog or the Cinderella. And for the mystic in me, the year continues on with another occurrence.

Think about the events that have taken place this year, starting with the Super Bowl. The New York Giants beat up on undefeated powerhouse New England.

Basketball? No major surprise with the Celtics winning, but it wasn’t without some scary moments, including barely getting past Atlanta in the opening round of the playoffs.

The next “biggie” was the Fresno St. Bulldogs winning the College World Series. Now what? It’s been a 100 years for the Cubs! Now that would prove the stars, planets, and the universe are perfect in alignment for miracles. Besides the Cubs, the team with the best record in the American League is perennial doormat Tampa Bay.

But I’m thinking of something else. Yup, college football starts tomorrow. Is this the year for Iowa State? Nicknamed the Cyclones, this year has been the year of violent weather across the Midwest.

In fact, every state that belongs in the Big 12 has had unusually active year weather wise. But the power of the tornado was never so prevalent when the Iowa State Cyclones made their first ever tailgate tour into Nebraska.

That night they were to visit Omaha, but the Cyclone gods delivered a stronger message. Across Nebraska that day and night 17 tornadoes touched down across the state.

For the Cyclones it’s a new start! A new year! A favorable schedule… and… and… another miracle? A few years ago Wake Forest rose from the ashes, and then it was time for Rutgers to shine; now it’s time for the Cyclones! GO STATE!!!
    One other possibility? The nation could have its first African-American President, so why not have the first champion whose stadium is named (the only one in FBS) for an African-American – Jack Trice.

Oh it’s great to be an Iowa State fanatic!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Re: The sun, moon and stars are all aligned

I BELIEVE!!

Amen.

Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Mmm, thanks for the kool-aid. I'll be glad if we make it to a bowl, but as I've told other people... my freshman year at Iowa State, the football team was coming off of a disastrous 2-10 season. As soon as ISU beat Baylor for their 3rd win of the season, I told anyone that would listen how it was still possible for ISU to win the Big 12 North. Granted, that never materialized, but the bowl win capped off a season that many thought would never happen in 2004.

I'm not expecting much, but I sure as hell hope the guys in the locker room have different ideas.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I can only hope, at least about the Cyclones.