Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Deace's analysis of the search

http://iowastate.scout.com/2/592459.html

Good points on all the coaching prospects with his favorite seemingly the dark horse...

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: Deace's analysis of the search

Wow, that's quite different than some *ahem* expert opinions.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Deace is doing nothing more than stirring the pot, IMO.

Recruit
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Deace is right on, although a bit over-dramatic with the reckless comment. Everyone knows the lists that have been posted across cyber world and their are names on that list much less riddled with risk then Harbaugh. Whey people insist on thinking we need to make a huge splash with a name coach doesn't make sense.

We need a guy with a proven track records not potential. Again, Harbaugh is a huge name that will come cheaper then the Kelly's and Kragthropes of the world. If we can't get the latter it's because we can't afford them or we are not as attractive to the better experienced options than we beleived.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Why is he doing nothing more than stirring the pot? I don't find anything extreme in his comments. I think he's dead on with the Steve Alford analogy as a possibility. Name recognition only lasts for a short period of time and then it's about results.

We've all witnessed the growing pains that Steve Alford has gone through in the Big X. How many would like to see Iowa hire a new coach? I surely wouldn't.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    Why is he doing nothing more than stirring the pot? I don't find anything extreme in his comments. I think he's dead on with the Steve Alford analogy as a possibility. Name recognition only lasts for a short period of time and then it's about results.

We've all witnessed the growing pains that Steve Alford has gone through in the Big X. How many would like to see Iowa hire a new coach? I surely wouldn't.
    Good point, he could be our Steve Alford, although many could have been. See Tressle at OSU. We shouldn't take risk due to the failure of others, but there is no reason to take a risk if you don't need to. Saying Jamie has to without knowing why is just talking to talk, which is ok too. ;)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

I can't say the SA reference is a bad one, however, the reckless comments are...as are some of his other extreme comments on the CN premium board.

We can't shy away from hiring a coach just because there is risk involved. Just as some of the biggest risks blow up, it's the biggest ones that pay the highest dividends too.

Each of these guys we have on our list are risky. It's up to Pollard to decide which risk/benefit balance is best for ISU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Deace should go back to WHO and analyze politics. I'm tired of reading his Harbaugh bashing on CN.

It looks like there are more than a few folks supporting Harbaugh for some very good reasons.

1. He outcoaches the oppponent
    2. Aggressive offensive schemes
    3. Aggressive defensive schemes
    4. Big name with NFL experience and access to good assistant coaches
    5. Potential to recruit well... I know this is an unknown, but you have to like the opportunity.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ISUFAN22,

I loved your analogy that Mac=Bledsoe and Harbaugh=Romo. Experience is not everthing and given the chance there a few that will succeed far above expectations given the opportunity.

I think Harbaugh will be one of those guys.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ISUfan, I'm not sure that I agree with the premise that the upside of JH is greater than that of the other prospects, and with his lack of coaching experience I do feel the risks are greater.

A guy like JH may have some recruiting advantage due to name recognition, but a guy that has spent the last couple of decades working his way up the coaching ranks has the advantage of a recruiting network that JH doesn't. So I personally would give more weight to a coach with a strong recruiting network in Texas and the midwest over JH's name recognition. That's just my opinion.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 304

He talked about Harbaugh not having Div I experience, but really how else are you going to get it unless someone gives you a break? Are we saying he should take a job as a coordinator or something in Div I before going to head coach? It may be a gamble for us to give him a HC chance, but if it pays off yahoo for us! I really dont think he would come in here and flush himself. He seems to me to be a go getter who will do anything for that win. He seems to have a clear head and knows what he is doing. I dont know what any of these candidates are like behind the scenes. Neither does anyone. We see them on tv and the media and that how we know them. I trust in JP to know more than I do. he will make the right call.

Recruit
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not only has JH not been coaching long, but all of his head coaching experience is against non-scholarship teams. He has no wins over a scholarhship team. That's nothing to brag about and Rob Ash at Drake equally has an impressive records against non-scholarship teams.

JH has great intangibles because of his name and his dad did some coaching at the lower college level. He has some history that helps. You just can't argue in good faith that he's not a risk and his name recognition cancels out against experience. If there's one thing we do know is that Texas high school football coaches think pretty highly of themselves and they may or may not give a damn about who Harbaugh used to be.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    He talked about Harbaugh not having Div I experience, but really how else are you going to get it unless someone gives you a break? Are we saying he should take a job as a coordinator or something in Div I before going to head coach? It may be a gamble for us to give him a HC chance, but if it pays off yahoo for us! I really dont think he would come in here and flush himself. He seems to me to be a go getter who will do anything for that win. He seems to have a clear head and knows what he is doing. I dont know what any of these candidates are like behind the scenes. Neither does anyone. We see them on tv and the media and that how we know them. I trust in JP to know more than I do. he will make the right call.
    Most likely his next step would be as a coach at a lower level scholarship program. For example as a MAC, WAC or Sunbelt coach. Drake is 6-1 in his league. That is a very low level of football.

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think this guy feels left out because CF and Jeremy seem to be in the loop and he's not...professional jeolously. With CF having a potential major scoop, he'll do anything to turn people against Harbaugh. The Alford comparison is a reach.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Interesting, however you must consider the source. Seems everyone is saying hire "a Young guy" and the age factor seems to be on some folks mind. Jumping to another program keeps coming up if success happens or better job opens IE: Michigan.
    IMO age (0lder) brings stability, Mike Price comes up alot. he would probably retire at ISU and have a staff that includes sons that would stay on with the program. Us "old guys" feel that hiring a young guy would just fuel the "see ya" exit for the next bigger job. Many have pointed out that JP being "Young" (younger than me is young) will hire a "Young Head Coach". That's OK from looking a far from the process, but is it the best way???????? You must keep in mind that 12 year window won't be allowed anyone, success or the door with this AD.