Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 45

Will Hawk fans Travel

I really think that this year Hawk fans will not travel as well in support of this team to their Bowl destination. There seems to be a concensus of opinion that this is an ungrateful, nonachieving team unworthy of their support. If I were a Bowl Committee, I would take this into consideration. However, their main competition is the Minnesota Gophers. Another non-achieving unworthy team that has a history of not travelling well.

It's pretty easy for fans to travel to Florida over New Year's. Too bad this year there are two teams from Big Ten in BCS. I would have enjoyed seeing the support this Hawkeye team would have had for the Motor City Bowl in beautiful downtown Detroit.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Re: Will Hawk fans Travel

The good news maybe is Hawks will lose against the competition in the Alamo Bowl. Then they will be 6-7 with their $3M dollar man. Nebraska at one time was thinking about Alamo Bowl. Just remember, if it is 42-10, Iowa fans still will come back next year with an "I Own ISU" attittude. Let's surprise them.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Don't know and I can't say I care on that much.

I really am done (personally) obsessing over every little move Iowa makes or doesn't make. They're just one of the other 116 teams in football. Yeah, our big, bad in-state rival - yet we constantly want to move past only beating Iowa and doing better things.

Yet we don't act like it week in and week out...

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Don't know and I can't say I care on that much.

I really am done (personally) obsessing over every little move Iowa makes or doesn't make. They're just one of the other 116 teams in football. Yeah, our big, bad in-state rival - yet we constantly want to move past only beating Iowa and doing better things.

Yet we don't act like it week in and week out...
    Thank you for that post...exactly how I feel and I couldn't have said it any better.

Face it, the Big 10 has much better bowls than the Big 12.

But to answer the question, yes they will travel. At least some of them. The consistantly sell out a 70,000+ stadium. I'm sure they will get 10k-15k of them down to San Antonio.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Personally, I hope they travel. I could use the quiet.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

What else do Hawk fans have but to drive down I-35 to Texas over the holidays. It will help their recruiting.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    I really think that this year Hawk fans will not travel as well in support of this team to their Bowl destination. There seems to be a concensus of opinion that this is an ungrateful, nonachieving team unworthy of their support. If I were a Bowl Committee, I would take this into consideration. However, their main competition is the Minnesota Gophers. Another non-achieving unworthy team that has a history of not travelling well.

It's pretty easy for fans to travel to Florida over New Year's. Too bad this year there are two teams from Big Ten in BCS. I would have enjoyed seeing the support this Hawkeye team would have had for the Motor City Bowl in beautiful downtown Detroit.

They definitely won't travel like they have in previous years. You all heard of Iowa's "40k for Floyd campaign". The Hawks were trying to get 40,000 fans in the Metrodome for the Iowa/Minny game this past weekend.

I went to the game, I would be surprised if there were 20,000 Iowa fans there, let alone 40,000. Let's face it, no matter what team someone cheers for, when they aren't performing, the team's following always decreases.

However, since Iowa does travel well, they will definitely get a better bowl than Minnesota, which, in my opinion, is very sad.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,271
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 82

The Big 10 also has the benefit of not having many good bowl teams, so beyond Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin, there really isn't anyone good, so a team like Iowa can, at 2-6 in the conference, go to the Alamo Bowl.

Conversely, if Iowa State were to go 2-6 in the Big 12 with a 6-6 overall record, we would be lucky to end up in Shreveport again. There would be too many good teams ahead of us that qualify for bowls, that we would need probably 8 wins to make it to the Alamo. Iowa also has tradition, money, history, more widespread popularity, etc. and no matter how poor of a season they have, bowl committees will like them. I believe the Alamo Bowl also likes to take an in-state Big 12 team, if possible, and since there aren't any Big 10 teams in the state of Texas...well, it's a pretty screwy situation, but there's nothing we can do about it except win, and we can't do that either.

I agree with ISUFan22, we need to move past always worrying about what Iowa does if we really want to think bigger as a program. But I think I would be just as amazed if any Big 10 with a 2-6 conference record and 6-6 mark overall were to get to the Alamo Bowl, it is an injustice to the Big 12.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 450
    Given: 45

Just thought it would be interesting to think if people agree with my perception. MY Take is that Iowa will be fortunate to get 10,000 to go. JMO

On the other hand when it comes to Bowls and the Big XII, I think that the Old Big Eight Conference has been Hi-Jacked by the 4 SWC teams that joined with us to form the Big XII. They consistently choose affiliation with Texas-based Bowls which consistently take Texas-based schools to fill the stadium. This definitely puts teams like ISU at a disadvantage. We have to go 8-3 or better to get the same bowl that a 6-5 Texas-based team would get. And the bias they showed in moving the Basketball Championships to Texas also is BS. LEAVE it at KC KEMPER. The Texas domination of the SWC led to its demise. Time for the Big XII to wrest control from Texas.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I'm just loving all this because for once Hawk fans have been humbled and instead of trashing ISU they are whining about their own team's problems. One of my buddies says it's funny how if we had won that Iowa game, both of us would be 5-7 and not going to a bowl game. After some of the crazy talk that ranged anywhere from a 2 loss to national title contender talk we now get to hear them going off on everyone from Tate to Ferentz.

I didn't expect Iowa to tailspin like they did but I caught a lot of heat from my Hawk buddies when I said at the beginning of the season I saw the Hawks losing 3 or 4 games. Michigan and Ohio State were the 2 easy ones, they'd lose to some team in the Big 10 that they shouldn't lose to which they usually have 1 of those a season, then the 4th loss could possibly be the ISU game. Little did I know they'd lose to multiple teams in the Big 10 that they should have beat...