Thread: Why not ISU?

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Why not ISU?

Let's get the discussion going. Our year pretty much sucked. But, rather than just relishing in the woes of Iowa, let's examine what we have for next year. What are our strengths and weaknesses? Are the weaknesses easily fixed? If you just got the job, what'd be the first thing you'd work on?

So, what can we do to get the program where it needs to be? I could've given you the answers because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but tonight it was Motel 6 and I've got nothing.

Positives:
    +Milan Moses. Back stronger than ever. Great job on returns.
    +Meyer & Blythe. With protection yesterday, he actually looked like the guy we expected. Blythe also brought his usual excitement to the game. It's been frustrating to see so many wholesale write-offs in various posts. I hope these two reminded a few folks of what they can do and have done.
    +Defense. Yes, we were plagued with injuries and dismissals, but I think we're going to be a lot tougher as these young guys mature and learn.
    +Kicking. Somewhat consistent (if you exclude the late miss yesterday - maybe I'm pushing it on this one).
    +Days like yesterday when the team and the fans give their all. If you didn't make it to the game yesterday, you missed a lot. What a great atmosphere. It felt like what this season should've been. Then, to go down on the field afterward. Kids were playing catch and running around. People were showing support for a coach and team who gave so much. It was like a big Cardinal and Gold block party. You realized what a great family Cyclone fans are.

Just a few thoughts. I chose to stick to the positives. Again, not an expert, just a fan.

Last edited by CYTIME; 11-19-2006 at 11:27 PM.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: Why not ISU?

Well even with lots of time Meyer continued to miss receivers. Missed Flynn twice on quick slants which is the easiest throw in football. Blythe did score a TD but thats it. He is a positive for us for next year however. Meyer has to play better. I know the line sucked but consistency is the key for next year.

Defense? Not sure how much better we will be. We will be tiny out there like this year. Losing big play Curvey and Moorehead. Rashon Parker is not a Big 12 DE IMO. Too small as well. We need some more size.

When, when, has our kicking ever been consistent? You have to make 28 yarders to be consistent. Shaggy plain out wets himself in clutch situations. Kicking will never be a positive in the forseeable future for us cyclone fans.

I do like the post though as I like to look at positives as well, I just don't see those as positives

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

uhh u forgot the fact we will have a new OC.. i dont really care who it is right now just as long as we dont call qb draws on 2nd and 20

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Seneca - You make some good points. I should qualify some of my previous statements.

Meyer- Well, if I hit you in the face over and over and all of your friends just watched and didn't stop me, you might miss a few passes too.

Kicking - I never said perfect, just somewhat consistent. Surprisingly, the % made has gone up the last couple of years (especially when compared to the 11 of 21 in '04).

Again, some good points, but I'd still like to hear what positives we might have, or are there any (aside from CMoore's OC comment)?

Last edited by CYTIME; 11-19-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I love being called Seneca!!! It makes me feel fast and extemely gifted as an athlete. Both of which I am not.

I will say we have consistent kicking when we have a kicker who can knock in a 30 yarder to win the game. Right now a 40 yarder seems out of reach.

Meyer does get hit a lot but still a quick slant is a quick slant. The offense doesn't even need to block for them to get that play off ( ok maybe for a sec or two) and how many passes does he get batted down at the line??? That shows two things. His ball release is low and he STARES RECEIVERS DOWN. Hell when the lineman know where you are throwing the ball there is something wrong with that.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

You're right on the stare down. Forget the linemen, I can see it. How easily is that corrected? Also, what kind of playing time do you think Arnaud might get?

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

You're right on the stare down. Forget the linemen, I can see it. How easily is that corrected? Also, what kind of playing time do you think Arnaud might get?
    Maybe mop up duty in a blow out at best is all the time Arnaud will get unless Meyer gets hurt next year. There is pretty much no way a RS Frosh starts over Meyer.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYTIME View Post
    Kicking - I never said perfect, just somewhat consistent. Surprisingly, the % made has gone up the last couple of years (especially when compared to the 11 of 21 in '04).
    The reason kicking was so bad in '04 because of Janssen, possibly the WORST kicker in collegiate football history(3-9FGs, really bad PATs as well), and Scott Krava, who also missed two FGs. In 2004, Culbertson missed TWO kicks, and went 4-5 beyond 30 yards. In 2005, Culbertson was 12-16 with some LONG attempts (he went 3-6 beyond 40 yards). In 2006, his stats were down, he went 8-11 on FGs, but he DIDN'T ATTEMPT A KICK FOR FOUR GAMES. He also has not yet missed ONE PAT his entire career at ISU.

Yeah, Shaggy missed a couple clutch kicks, but don't even try to say he hasn't been consistent.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 44

if Harbaugh is the coach I expect to see the best QB on the field.

Rookie
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kurimski View Post
    Maybe mop up duty in a blow out at best is all the time Arnaud will get unless Meyer gets hurt next year. There is pretty much no way a RS Frosh starts over Meyer.

While I tend to agree, you never know. Many times a new coach will make a guy re-earn his position. I think Arnaud will keep Meyer on his toes next year.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If Arnaud starts over Meyer next year Arnaud is either going to be a huge stud or that doesn't say a lot for the improvement of Meyer over the past 4 or 5 years.