Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

ISU v MN breakdown

(moved from another thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Nice one, thunderdave!! Let me rephrase that...are they any good? Do we have much of a chance?
    Minnesota will have a tough year, but this will be a competitive game. Like all ISU games this year, i suspect.

Minnesota has Lawrence McKenzie ( wearing #1) as their top player, a Mpls high school grad that transferred from Oklahoma last year. You might remember him from being the 3rd best 3-point shooter in the big 12 in 2004-05, as a bench player for Sampson's team. He's got a deft three-point touch, and we'll need Mike Taylor to man-up on him to stop his outside shooting. He's a strong ball handler as well. Think of him as MN's equivalent to #24, Mr. Taylor. Taylor and McKenzie match up well, and i'm certain with Taylor's defensive ability, McDermott will match him up in the man defense. This is a toss up, both players are good.

Minnesota's second threat scoring this year is Dan Coleman ( wearing #13, a junior), listed as 6-9, 225 lb in the program, but looks more like 6-7, 210 lb in person. He's a garbage man inside player who knows how to convert offensive boards into points. Likes to shoot from the 3-point line too much, pushing him outside and letting him take his chances from 3 point land would be good. My guess is that Wesley Johnson matches up on him, Wesley is much more athletic than Coleman. ISU has the advantage here, Coleman has experience, but W. Johnson is a better player.

Minnesota's third thread is the center, Spencer Tollackson ( wearing #50, 265 lbs). Tollackson's a load, a tough guy to move off the post, and will be a tough match up for Marsden. He's not a great shooter, but has a couple of low post moves that ordinary centers will have a tough time handling. Like Marsden...the most promising thing here is that Tollackson is really inconsistent, and if Marsden just plays him adequately, we should be good. Minnesota has the advantage here.

After those three, there really isn't much scoring for Minnesota. Brandon Smith (wing, 6-6, 205 lbs) and Kevin Payton (wing, 6-5), both sophomores, have been the final two starters, giving MN a largely perimeter based attack. These two are a combined 3-11 with eight points in two games, so don't expect them to shoot much unless they have a wide open shot from 15 feet or less.

MN has used the bench extensively, with two players getting most of the time, both guards. The theme here is that the two low post players, Coleman and Tollackson, have pretty much nothing behind them on the bench. The two players, Limar Wilson (5-11, junior) and Jamal Abu-Shamala (listed 6-5, more like 6-2.5) combine for 8-22 for 18 points in two games. Limar can hit the three, watch for him.

Do i think that ISU matches up well? Yes...ISU is deeper (how many times will we say that this year?) with a better bench and better starters. If Taylor can shut down McKenzie, MN really doesn't have many scoring options. Look for ISU to win by 10.

Our friend, little Larry Westbrook, is averaging about 6 minutes of playing time (and about 3 points a game), so don't expect to see him much. Turns out his lack of size is an issue in scoring at the NCAA Div 1 level.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: ISU v MN breakdown

Great report. Thanks. Do you really see Marsden playing a lot in this game? He may be the only body we have that can handle their big guy but I don't see him getting many minutes, especially as the quality of play takes a big jump from what we have been seeing.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Marsden or Gray would have to man up on their big man. After today I don't know about C. Johnson being able to defend a big man.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Great breakdown, thanks!!!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I have not been overly impressed with C Johnson's defense. It looks like he doesn't anticipate the next pass very well and thus gets a little out of position. I wonder if he played under a zone system while at Duluth.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Great pre-game discussion. I can't wait for Tuesday night! Just drove back home today, and have already been jawing with my U of M buddies. 6 Cyclones here that will be at Williams come Tuesday night!

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The fact that C Johnson played a zone in HS could hamper him that bad now that he has been coached on by McD for so long now?

Prospect
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Where are your tickets for Tuesday's game? I am heading there with 3 other ISU fans.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dklyn View Post
    Where are your tickets for Tuesday's game? I am heading there with 3 other ISU fans.
    I'm not positive, but I know we are in one of the corners in the upper section. My friend has the tickets so I couldn't tell you exactly where.

Prospect
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think that we are going to be them at the door hopefully or outside. Can't wait to go to another road game and see McD's first road win!!

Last edited by dklyn; 11-20-2006 at 03:39 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Great report. Thanks. Do you really see Marsden playing a lot in this game? He may be the only body we have that can handle their big guy but I don't see him getting many minutes, especially as the quality of play takes a big jump from what we have been seeing.
    I really don't know who we've got to defend Tollackson except Marsden. He'll push around the Johnsons and Clark too much, and i expect to see Clark doing some of the help work to try to contain McKenzie. No question, this will be Minnesota's biggest advantage. Whether Tollackson can take advantage of it though, remains to be seen. He's been inconsistent throughout his MN career.

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

We'll struggle, but our defense will keep us in it to score a late first road victory! ISU 63 MN 60

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

If we can get in the 60's, I like our chances. I just don't see us giving up that many points with the patience we show on both ends of the floor. If Marsden can even come close to handling their big, we should be inbusiness. Where is MN picked in the Big 10/11

Starter
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Post Defense is Hard for any Freshman

I have not been overly impressed with C Johnson's defense. It looks like he doesn't anticipate the next pass very well and thus gets a little out of position. I wonder if he played under a zone system while at Duluth.
    Just look back last year how much Marsden & Taggart struggled defending the post.

I don't know if Cory's HS team played zone or not, but he didn't play center. They had a kid about 6'5" who was the physical presence in the paint. I'm sure being 6'7" he didn't have to work hard on position defense in HS. Now the tables are reversed- he is the shorter guy.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Marsden has been kind of disappointing so far this year. Towards the end of the year I thought he started to show some signs of being a good player. I am hoping he is just starting slow and will soon catch on. Maybe not this week but hopefully by the 1st of Dec he starts to play like he did at the end of last year.