Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227
    Given: 0
    I guess that recruits are committing earlier and earlier these days, with many high school football recruits committing before their senior year. It seems like Iowa is getting verbals from 2007 and 2008 recruits now in basketball. I know McD hasn't had a lot of time on the recruiting trail, but can we expect these kinds of early commits later on in the game? I do'nt know what kind of policy he has on this. It seems a little early to me to be looking at 2008 guys especially.

I'm not expecting any early for this season, simply because he hasn't been on the job long enough. I know Alford has done this a lot, and I imagine that it works out for them although they have gotten burned on players such as JR Angle.

It just seems really odd unless your looking at LeBron James or OJ Mayo caliber players.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 694
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 1
    If McDermott's time at UNI is any indicator, then he'll likely try to get committments from kids early on. He did that with Egleseder(sp?), Barz and a few guards that slip my memory.

I can't recall many national recruits like Mayo or James that have committed much before the spring of their junior years. For the most part I think kids like to take official visits and be wined & dined during the recruiting process.

It seems to me the kids that commit early(soph year) are kids who grow up following a home state team and want to play close to home.

Starter
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 96
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Early commitments really don't mean much, except to the kid who commits. To him, it means the school is holding a scholarship for him, and he has a chance to concentrate on other things for his last year or two in High school. He can back out at any time and many do. The school may get a player they wouldn't have by showing early interest, but they often get burned when the kid doesn't develop, or if he does great things and Duke and Kansas come knocking, he reneges on his commitment.

On that subject, McDermott is a man of principle, and I don't expect him to offer Brent Barz after Barz has committed to UNI. But if he did offer, you know Barz would back out of his UNI deal, or would he? As I see it the only way Barz would become a Cyclone is, he reopens his recruiting to all schools, and McDermott whiffs on all his selected big guys.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 29
    Barz is not a Iowa State caliber player (or any other power conference team). He is a perfect fit for UNI.

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZClone &#064; Jun 6 2006, 04&#58;08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> Barz is not a Iowa State caliber player (or any other power conference team). He is a perfect fit for UNI. [/b][/quote]

Would you please explain how you know this. What experience do you have as a major college coach or a recruiter of college basketball players? How many times have you seen Barz play? Just curious. Jimmie Binnie from Urbandale was recruited by LE and passed over. Can&#39;t make the starting 5 at Dayton. Tyler McKinney was passed over by all the Iowa schools, and had a pretty good career at Creighton. Once in a while a kid comes out of Des Moines that can play. I think Barz has more potential than any Des Moines player since Hurl.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,372
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 6
    my guess is that he&#39;s just expressing his opinion about barz... it&#39;s a message board and would get pretty old if every post started off with "in my opinion" or "IMO".

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    What I heard from someone who knew him was that he was a really nice guy... maybe too nice, and might lack the aggression/killer instinct that it takes to really succeed at a high major level. At some point all the basketball skills in the world take a bit of a backseat to a competitive edge.

have you ever got caught outside In a strong rainfall? Yes or NO. If it"s yes, then you might half felt the pane of hard(tought) rain on you head. If it hurt"s then it"s tough. Yes or no. Okay I'm right and you know it.

So alothough you attempt"ed to say you didn"t understnad, now you do. Fair enough?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    "On that subject, McDermott is a man of principle, and I don&#39;t expect him to offer Brent Barz after Barz has committed to UNI. But if he did offer, you know Barz would back out of his UNI deal, or would he? As I see it the only way Barz would become a Cyclone is, he reopens his recruiting to all schools, and McDermott whiffs on all his selected big guys."

No one on here suggested that McDermott will or should go after Barz.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 29
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oldgeezer &#064; Jun 7 2006, 08&#58;11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Would you please explain how you know this. What experience do you have as a major college coach or a recruiter of college basketball players? How many times have you seen Barz play? Just curious. Jimmie Binnie from Urbandale was recruited by LE and passed over. Can&#39;t make the starting 5 at Dayton. Tyler McKinney was passed over by all the Iowa schools, and had a pretty good career at Creighton. Once in a while a kid comes out of Des Moines that can play. I think Barz has more potential than any Des Moines player since Hurl.

[/b][/quote]

First off I absolutely agree that once in a while a kid does come out of des mines that can play. That being said...IN MY OPINION, that guy is not Barz. In MY OPINION, Barz is soft. He reminds me of Taggert. Good hands, good touch but zero banging ability. I watched him play twice last year, I am also a johnston alumni. Not that it makes me an expert on him, college recruitment, ability to play at the next level or any other category surrounding ISU basketballand/or Barz. All I am saying is IN MY OPINION I would rather see McD go after somebody with more potential/ higher prep rankings/ bigger body/ more defensive focused than Barz.

Also, In my opinion, saying a player played well at Creighton is the same as saying he will do well at UNI. I don&#39;t consider it as elite college level play. Granted good players have come out of there and been successful at the next level but I take my odds on some of the power conference players any day based level of play.

Thank you for your time and as always...Go Cyclones&#33;

'00 Grad
    "Can I borrow your towel, my car just hit a water buffalo" Erwin Fletcher

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZClone &#064; Jun 7 2006, 11&#58;20 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

First off I absolutely agree that once in a while a kid does come out of des mines that can play. That being said...IN MY OPINION, that guy is not Barz. In MY OPINION, Barz is soft. He reminds me of Taggert. Good hands, good touch but zero banging ability. I watched him play twice last year, I am also a johnston alumni. Not that it makes me an expert on him, college recruitment, ability to play at the next level or any other category surrounding ISU basketballand/or Barz. All I am saying is IN MY OPINION I would rather see McD go after somebody with more potential/ higher prep rankings/ bigger body/ more defensive focused than Barz.

Also, In my opinion, saying a player played well at Creighton is the same as saying he will do well at UNI. I don&#39;t consider it as elite college level play. Granted good players have come out of there and been successful at the next level but I take my odds on some of the power conference players any day based level of play.

Thank you for your time and as always...Go Cyclones&#33;

[/b][/quote]

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Perhaps I was a little harsh in questioning your comments about Barz. Sorry about that. I am certainly not qualified to judge basketball talent. I just think a 6&#39; 10&#39;&#39; kid that can run and shoot and wants to be a Cyclone and likes the new coach should get some consideration.

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oldgeezer &#064; Jun 7 2006, 07&#58;25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> just think a 6&#39; 10&#39;&#39; kid that can run and shoot and wants to be a Cyclone and likes the new coach should get some consideration. [/b][/quote]

McD already told all of his recruits at UNI to stick to there commitments to UNI. I think he has more integrity to start putting thoughts in kids minds of backing out of his former employer and have them come play here.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    [quote name=&#39;cgwarrior33&#39; date=&#39;Jun 7 2006, 08:06 PM&#39; post=&#39;10518&#39;]

McD already told all of his recruits at UNI to stick to there commitments to UNI. I think he has more integrity to start putting thoughts in kids minds of backing out of his former employer and have them come play here.

I think I already qualified that. As I see it, the only way McD would offer Barz would be: 1. He reopens his recruitment to all schools. 2. He absolutely blows up at some big Nike or Addis camp.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    There were a couple of Iowa kids recently under the radar that I would of loved to seen wear the ISU jersey. Kyle Korver and Ben Jacobson of course come to mind. I have no idea what the potential of Bartz (sp) is. I would love to see more Iowa kids on the roster, instead of them going to Iowa. Hopefully with GMac that will happen.

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Yes it would be nice to have more Iowa kids on the team, but can we win in the Big 12 with Iowa kids?? Personally I don&#39;t think so. The quality of talent is decreasing around the state for basketball. The &#39; 02 class was pretty loaded with Haluska, Brunner, Jacobson,and Horner. You don&#39;t usually see 3 D1 players who go to play in major conferences come out of the state that often. &#39; 03 class had Henderson, McKowen, Korver, Hiptma(sp) who went mid major or better. Looney from Humboldt, Green from Waverly, and Wennig from Danville all went to South Dakota St who just turned D1....all are more than likely D2 players though with Looney the only one still attending SDSU and playing. &#39; 04 was Thompson, Reed, Osborn, and Meyer (who decided to play Football at Iowa). &#39; 05 was Ross basically and this year was Bohannon and Eglesderger(sp), with the latter only playing against 1A competition for the better part of his career.

I am not taking anything away from any of these kids, nor am I saying that if Brunner, Haluska, Horner type players come along that we should pass on them. I just want the best talent that is going to help us win, and right now, the state of Iowa isn&#39;t producing the players to do that.

Also regarding Barz, I believe he already recommitted shortly after McDermott was hired, so I don&#39;t think he will reopen recruiting.