Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 213

Missouri vs. Iowa State – Game Recap and Thoughts

Wow, what an experience. Cold November day, seniors get their accolades, final game of the season – oh – and it’s Dan McCarney’s final game as the Iowa State University head coach. And who comes into town? Missouri, a team that has had a big hand in ripping the hearts out from the chest of Cyclone fans for the past two years – namely their last visit to Ames. Even with one team winless in the conference and the other out of the Big 12 title picture – story lines are still abound.

Early in the game, it looked to be yet another woodshed beating at the hands of a Big 12 foe, as Missouri marched down the field in under 2 ½ minutes for a touchdown. A quick three and out by ISU gave the Tigers the ball back. However, this time the young, maligned Cyclone defense forced a turnover. Unfortunately it wasn’t in field goal range, and the Cyclone offense was only able to muster 16 yards and was forced to punt yet again.

A punt by Missouri, an interception thrown by Meyer and then Missouri was back on the board with a field goal off the turnover. A collective “here we go again” escaped from Cyclone fans everywhere.

A nifty return by Moses sparked the crowd though, until a flag showed up, putting the ball on the 10 yard line instead of at around midfield – a 40 yard penalty ISU could ill afford.

Or could they?

What ensued may have been the best offensive drive of the season. 15 plays, 90 yards and just over 7 minutes later, the Cyclones were celebrating in the end zone on a pass from Meyer to Blythe. 10-7 Missouri. Each team traded punts. Missouri had the ball with just under two minutes left to go in the half. Cyclone fans have seen this movie and it’s 5000 sequels before – close game going into the half until the defense gives up a score with under 2 to play.

Not this time.

The defense held true and ISU let the final seconds tick away after a short running play. Headed into the locker room, ISU was only down 3 and a bit of momentum brewing.

Coming out of the half, the Cyclones had the ball first and embarked on what may have been, the 2nd best drive of the season. 15 plays, 80 yards and 6 ½ minutes – capped by a TD run from senior fullback/halfback Kock. Whoa boy, not only does the Cyclone offense yield a touchdown in the 2nd half – they take the lead! A quick three and out by the Tigers gave ISU’s offense the ball back.

After 11 plays and 76 yards – Kock was busting into the end zone yet again, helping ISU extend their lead to 21-10. Looking good?

Welllllll, it wouldn’t be Cyclone fashion to let the fans leave the stadium without breathing a sigh of relief.

After the Cyclone score, the Tigers wasted little time answering, going 80 yards themselves and capping the drive on a rushing touchdown. Rut-roh.

A quick three and out but ISU gave Missouri the ball, back – but the Cyclone defense stood firm only giving up 22 yards. With about 9 ½ to go, ISU had the ball and a 5 point lead. The ISU defense had showed up today, could the offense embark on yet another long drive and grasp their first Big 12 victory?

After 10 plays and just over 50 yards later – it sure looked like it. A heavy does of Kock again put ISU in position to score, with 3rd and goal from the 2 yard line. Everyone in the stands expected and wanted #31 to get the ball again. Instead, the Cyclones tried to get cute, faking the hand off and seemingly rolling Meyer out to the right for a pass. Meyer was never able to fully rotate around and suffered his first sack of the game.

Ick.

Ok, so Shaggy has been accurate all year, right? Field goal puts ISU up 24-16 and the Tigers are forced to score a touchdown and convert a two-point play for a tie.

As the ghosts of Cyclone past would have it, Shaggy couldn’t put the ball between the uprights. Another “here we go again” escaped from many Jack Trice faithful.

Missouri began chipping their way down the field, seemingly with ease. It looked like the young Cyclone defense was finally getting wore out from the high-powered Tiger offense.

A pair of consecutive completions from Daniel to Saunders for 23 and 18 put the ball at the ISU 8 yard line with about a minute to play.

A 1st and goal pass fell incomplete, followed by a one yard gain by Daniel.

On 3rd and goal, Daniel put the ball in his hands again, running for what seemed an easy score until a Cyclone defender met him hard just short of the goal line. 4th and goal from inside the one. After a pair of time outs, the play was finally going to take place.

Could the Cyclone defense hold true? Would Dan McCarney leave Iowa State on a winning note?

Strangely enough, the Tigers lined up in the shotgun for their final play. Daniels took the ball off right tackle and…went in for the score. That hurt.

Or did it?

Flag on the play – new life for the Cyclones?

In fact, it was. Holding by that right tackle took the points off the board and put Missouri at the 10 ½ and another 4th down play. Another chance for the Cyclone defense to make a stop.

This time Daniel dropped back to pass. A pair of senior defensive linemen would not have a win stolen from them on this day…

Quickly Daniel moved to the right only to have Curvey greet him having shoved his would-be-blocker into the backfield. Curvey looked to have him sacked back at the 25, but instead wasn’t able to bring him down. Daniel made his way back left and back up to the 20…18….SACKED! By senior walk-on Shawn Moorehead! The ball looked to be fumbled and advanced a few more yards by a Tiger offensive lineman, but he too was tackled and it seemed Daniel was ruled down anyways.

*collective sigh*

With just 4 ticks left on the clock and the new change of possession clock rule – the Cyclones didn’t even need to snap the ball. Players took the field, dashing to the Missouri sidelines – searching for the Telephone Trophy. Fans made their way onto the field in masses – congratulating the players and the coaching staff that had for the last time – coached the Cyclones. Fittingly, to a victory.

The environment on this day at Jack Trice Stadium was similar to many had pictured the finale of the 2004 season would be after an “expected” win over Missouri. Mayhem and exuberation ensued. Dan McCarney carried off the field. On this day the game may have been meaningless to people outside Ames. But to those at Jack Trice, it meant everything for the seniors and the coaching staff to go out a winner in their finale as Iowa State Cyclones.

My game notes/thoughts…

-Ryan Kock, what an effort…just amazing. He ran everyone over, not just Tiger defenders – but offensive linemen and Flynn even felt the wrath of Kock. It seemed like he looked for people to hit. As they mentioned in the post-game show, of is 179 yards on the day, it seemed 170 came after contact. I’d like to have another 4 years of Ryan Kock.

-Kock’s running wasn’t the only reason the Cyclones were able to run well against one of the better rushing defenses around. The offensive line came to play too. But even more than that, the scheme fit the personnel on the line. No slow developing plays with zone blocking, etc. Just straight ahead, quick-hitters. That’s what this line is able to block best.

-Nice catch Jon Davis on that only deep reception of the day, setup that score nicely.

-Speaking of the offensive line, I think they gave up only one sack. That coming on 3rd and goal at the two yard line on the final drive.

-Speaking of that final drive, there were two completely horrible play calls Saturday. The first came on the scoring drive, 2nd and goal around the 2 yard line, ISU goes away from Kock and runs a sweep option with Meyer and Scales – resulting in a significant loss on the play. Luckily the fade pass to Blythe resulted in a touchdown on 3rd down. That could have been the ballgame right there, had ISU not gotten into the end zone.

-The 2nd horrible call and definitely the worst of the two, on ISU’s final possession, 3rd and goal from the 2. The Cyclones get cute with what seemed to be a rollout pass to the right. Meyer was never able to get fully rotated around and was sacked for a big loss. We all know what happened next, missed field goal – new life for Missouri. Why on earth Kock wasn’t handed the ball, I’ll never know. Even if he doesn’t get it on third down, I think ya go for it on 4th and he’s going to bust through on one of those. Ridiculous, foolish play call. Fortunately the defense saved ‘em.

-A very nice game played by the defense. The Tiger offense is no slouch and the defense came trough. A pair of back-to-back hits by Berg and Harris in the end zone to ward off a 14 point deficit. Two guys that haven’t really played well all year – making a pair of big plays.

-One turnover from the ISU offense, I’ll take that.

-Defense gets yet another early turnover for the Cylones. Too bad it wasn’t in field goal range, as the offense does nothing to reward the defense for its hard work.

-On the final play after the penalty, how fitting was it that a pair of seniors killed the play for the Tigers – Curvey getting in Daniel’s face early and Moorehead finishing him off. We’ll miss you two.

-Dan comes in a winner at ISU and goes out a winner. No other Cyclone head coach can say that. So, he gets carried off the field. My eyes weren’t dry when I saw that, were yours?

-To the fans that showed up on that cold day, my hat is off to you. Loved the environment and not much sitting was going on. It was just a fantastic atmosphere to be around, one that’s hard to duplicate and one I surely will never forget.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 100

Re: Missouri vs. Iowa State – Game Recap and Thoughts

It was an awesome environment and a great gameday atmosphere. The Tigers had us thinking this game was going to go like the rest of the Big 12 games while they scored the first 10 points, but after that, we got the momentum and never looked back. I agree on the 2 terrible calls but the defense played great and showed us something we hadn't seen all year...a pass rush. Kock was awesome and I wish all our games went this way this year.

All I know is if there was any question about getting season tickets next year(for others since I will be getting them regardless), there sure wasn't a reason after the game. Yesterday was a great day.....ISU won and the Pukeyes stunk it up again. It don't get better then that

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

thanks for the game summary! it was a fun day and great to see mac go out with a W!

**Not every life is perfect, but every life is precious. Support Rescue.**
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nebraskabostonterrierrescue.html

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    -To the fans that showed up on that cold day, my hat is off to you. Loved the environment and not much sitting was going on. It was just a fantastic atmosphere to be around, one that’s hard to duplicate and one I surely will never forget.

What section are you in? My section was sitting the entire game...I would love to be in a place where people are roudy..but it is sure not section F.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Section 12. :)

We didn't stand the whole game, but most of it. Especially in that final quarter.

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 44

try moving over to section E

that crowd sure got loud towards the end considering how pathetic the attendence was. no way was 40,000 at that game. would be suprised if that was over 30,000

heck of a game to bad they couldnt do that 2 freakin months ago. instead of ditching the running game to establish the passing game.
    nice to see ISU beat atleast one team in the Big12, meant alot that it was Missery.

expected that kind of game though back against Nebraska.

good and both horribly sad to see the team finally came out onto the field to play.

was expecting missery to put up 30-40 like the previous teams did.
    Defense is maturing and looks good but with the batch of Sr's gone hard to say. who will be team leader for D next year.

Last edited by MrApathy; 11-19-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 1,230

I was so happy for the team and Mac to get this win!

With that being said, the play call on 3rd and goal from the Mizzou 2 yard line is the perfect example of why our coaching staff is being "let go." Was anyone else thinking this?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    With that being said, the play call on 3rd and goal from the Mizzou 2 yard line is the perfect example of why our coaching staff is being "let go." Was anyone else thinking this?
    No, I wasn't thinking it.

I said it in the stands. Both on that play and the one earlier in the game, on 2nd and goal around the two when we ran a sweep option.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MrApathy View Post
    try moving over to section E

that crowd sure got loud towards the end considering how pathetic the attendence was. no way was 40,000 at that game. would be suprised if that was over 30,000

I tried moving over, but was told by the athletic dept that no better seats were avaible, even with more than 2x last years donation. Hopefully people will not renew tickets next year so I can move up, and then of course we need to sell 40K tickets the year *after* I move

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    I was so happy for the team and Mac to get this win!

YES! That play made me so mad, Koch is on fire, you are at the 2 yard line, run the ball up the gut 2 more times and take a risk. Even on 4th I say go for it and put the game out of reach. Lets play to WIN and not just to not lose.

Ohh wait, that is ISU football over the past 5 years.